God’s name (Jehovah) is so ambiguous to the extent of even supporting The Theory of Evolution!

by venus 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy
    smiddy

Up until the thirteenth century christians only knew Gods name by the four consonants of the hebrew letters known as the tetragramaton translated as JHVH or later as YHWH in english. commonly put as LORD in capital letters.

As most people are aware here it was a Spanish Catholic monk of the 13th century who coined the name Jehovah for the first time.,and as other people have rightly pointed out on this board Yahweh is probably the more accurate name and pronunciation.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

What most people don't realize is the god of the Bible is actually many gods. The creation story is close to that of the one from Babylon where their exalted high God Marduk is the one that's the creator. In the story of the flood the Assyrian god Anu is the one that wants to kill man, later stories it's his son Enlil. I think the original story or poem that Job is used as source material is also involves Assyrian gods.

Abraham story is he travels north and meets Malkisadeks god which according to sources is the god El of the Canaanite pantheon. Later he morphs in to Baal and there's discription and even scriptures about Baal mountain showing the morphing of the two gods by the writers, check out MT Zaphon in the Bible, Baals home.

In the Moses story he's say Ea Ashur Ea , in Hebrew wrong spelling but phonetically that's about right. We are told this mean "I am that I am" but could it be saying "I'm Asar" , the Egyptian god known in Greek as Osiris or what about the god Ea known as Enki the Sumerian god.

There are scriptures in the Bible like one in Hoses that says gods from Egypt so maybe at this time it is Asar. And of course we can't forget that at then end of each prayer we say "Amen" . Jesus is called the Amen in the book of Revelations. Yes were told it means "so be it" but is that what it really meant back then? Hezzekias bulla has a sun disk with wings on it the symbol for AmenRa. The Hebrew word for anointed is taken from the Egyptian word just and example.

And what about the names in the Bible, of course we have names ending in EL showing a connection to El the god of the Canaanites. But what about names like Isaiah and Ezekiel and Jeremiah, and other like them. They don't end in any style of a known Hebrew god but they do end in one of the original moon gods of Egypt Iah also known by Yah and later assimilated by the Osiris cult.

So maybe the god talking to Moses was in fact Asur better known as Osiris. So anyway YHWH could mean anything or anyone. Some even speculate that is a spelling for many gods. Did I forget to mention the word Elohim means Gods in Hebrew not Angels or just God singular.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Once you do a bit of research on the name and the god, as crazyguy has done, you realise that the whole fuss about using the name made by JW's is simply based upon nothing, like all their unique doctrines.

There is no single name for Almighty God that should be used by Christians, if there were Jesus would have told his followers, he did not, he just said to use "Father".

• venus
    venus

Crazyguy, I agree with you. Israelites were equally fond of varieties as seen in their very names Isaiah, Ezekiel, Abijah, Jehobam ...

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel
    SK Ditta » The word, "Lord" seems to imply respect. If someone addressed a person as "Lord", such as a judge in courtroom, it would seem to imply respect.

Well, yes, "Lord" implies respect, but it was used to keep the Hebrews in remembrance of the sacred nature of their God. Everyone may know the judge's name is Harry, but no one would call him that in the courtroom. To maintain his demenor, even his closest friends would not address him by his name in the courtroom.

Venus » why should God choose a name the meaning of which no one is sure? Name should be self-explanatory, or else it is not a name.

All in good time. The Jews attempted to keep it sacred by restricting its use. No one knows who the restrictions were imposed by, but given ready mankind's nature to pollute that which is holy, it's likely they were imposed by heavenly messengers, themselves, as protocol (if one believes in such messengers).

There are those on this site, for example, who, because they were badly deceived by the merciless machinations of the manmade sect bearing Yaweh's name, seek reprisal by polluting the holy name in their posts. Others pollute it because they believe in nothing holy. But the key word is pollute. People use words to pollute, tear down and denigrate. Thus the Jews sought to protect that which they deemed as holy.

There are numerous meanings that have been attached to the holy name. "Unchanging One" or "He Who Amasses Armies" -- we may not know what it means, but after the great battle against Jerusalem in the last days, the prophets tell us that the name of God will "no longer" be polluted (see Ezekiel 39*, Zechariah 14**).

-------------

* So will I make my holy name known in the midst of my people Israel; and I will not let them pollute my holy name any more: and the heathen shall know that I am the Lord, the Holy One in Israel.

** And the Lord shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one Lord, and his name one.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Maybe its because their was not only one GOD who should take precedence over any other GOD,?

Gen : 3 22a "And JHVH/YHVH God went on to say "Here the man has become like one of us in knowing good and bad " in saying" like one of us" denotes he had peers , Gods equal to himself .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit