So when will the signs be for the end Matthew & Luke say....

by tor1500 11 Replies latest jw friends

• tor1500
    tor1500

Hi You All,

A few weeks ago, I think it was in the Imitate their faith book or was a public talk, I forget, but anyway, Luke 21:10 says: Then he said to them: “Nation will rise against nation,+ and kingdom against kingdom.+ 11 There will be great earthquakes, and in one place after another food shortages and pestilences;+ and there will be fearful sights and from heaven great signs. The brother was showing the signs of the end & how it matches up to our time. But guess what folks, my eyes wandered to the next verse 12:But before all these things happen, people will lay their hands on you and persecute you,+ handing you over to the synagogues and prisons. You will be brought before kings and governors for the sake of my name. But if you read the other accounts, the same signs happen and then they will be handed over....so which is it ?

Any thoughts ?

Tor

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

yes, my thought is...it's all bullshit.

The bible riddled with contradictions, so this is not surprising.

Go try to figure out who is the father of Joseph:

MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Read verse 8

8 He replied: “Watch out that you are not deceived. For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am he,’ and, ‘The time is near.’ Do not follow them.

Jesus can make a blanket statement not to follow those claiming the "end is near" for a simple reason: they're ALL wrong.

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

Just amazed at how boring this prophecy is to me now. Could anyone prophecy about anything that is more obviously going to happen? There will be wars? NO! Really?

There will be days and nights, and people will eat food.

• zeb
    zeb

redvip2000;

for a long time I have believed that there is much clarification needed in the scriptures. Its my guess that perhaps either Jacob or Heli had died and was replaced as a second husband by the other. But I have observed the wt 'cherry-picks' the scriptures in wants toback its current dogmas..

JeffT. True.

• steve2
    steve2

“TV channel will rise against TV channel,+ and Internet website against Internet website.+ 11 There will be great cooking competitions, and in one place after another, home renovations and garden makeovers;+ and there will be fearless skyscrapers and from heaven huge numbers of passenger planes."

Now, say what you will about Biblical prophecies, but please explain the unerring accuracy of the above Scripture? I am gobsmacked at how accurately it decribes the day and age we live in.

• scratchme1010
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Jesus said dont follow those that say the time is near, then he himself says the time is near. So does Peter and Paul and then John. In fact in the beginning of the book of revelations he's says what shortly must take place. The at the end chapter of the book he's saYs 5 times the time is near or it's going to happen very soon.

So if were to follow Christ then we're supposed to stop following Christ and almost every writer after the gospels in the good book.

• Perry
    Perry
    But if you read the other accounts, the same signs happen and then they will be handed over....so which is it ?

Apparently both. Until I understood dispensations, many things didn't fit. Jesus was sent to the lost sheep of the house of Israel, primarily. Of course he talked about "other sheep" at times.... the gentiles; but by and large his words are better understood :

1. to primarily refer to the Jews living at his time

2. then a gap ensues.. for the emergence of and gathering of the gentiles during the church age (as propagated by the apostles)

3. and then his words resume to refer to the 144K Israelites living during the 7 year tribulation period along with the great crowd of tribulation era believers

Try reading Mt. 24 & 25 with that template in mind.

2 Timothy 2:15 reads, "Study..... rightly dividing the word of truth."

• steve2
    steve2

Valiant efforts have had to be made across the millenia to put a coherent spin on discordant messages in the Bible about "end times". Indeed, it was this very impulse to enforce a logical, coherent "plan" on Scripture that first impelled young Charles Taze Russell (witness his "Divine Plan of the Ages").

Countless individuals and religious groups expended enormous effort doing it before him and countless ones after him. As Perry's example shows there remain wiling ones even at this point in time who can without blushing still massage a motley collection of discordant messages into a unified whole.

An arbitrary collection of writings that were retrospectively - and with significant violent controversy at the time - canonized as the inerrant "word of God" can literally be forced by man into "rightly dividing the word" - but whether intelligent minds can honestly and with integrity accept these concoctions as the "truth" is fiercely open to question.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit