Jehovah's Witness / ex-JW Suicide Rate?

by Simon 57 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Simon
    Simon

It's no secret that both remaining a JW or leaving the WTS can take a toll on mental health. Some will suffer from depression and ultimately some will have thoughts of suicide and a few will succumb to those.

But I don't recall ever seeing any hard stats or studies on it though. I'm sure we all know of some people who have committed suicide but I don't know if, because you may have loose association with a much larger pool of people through the religion, that this only seems higher or maybe not be actually higher than the general population.

What I mean is, you go to a KH here there maybe 100-150 people, you attend circuit and district conventions with many tens of thousands - if any one person commits suicide then you likely hear about it and it becomes part of the anecdotal 'evidence' that is then put forward as a fact that there is a higher rate ... but is there?

It's similar IMO to the deaths due to lack of blood transfusion - many often make the news but many times we all know of the same, what appear to thankfully be rather isolated, incidents which make me question whether there are really the many hundreds of thousands that some claim there are.

So does anyone know of any studies or reports that cover this area?

Like the blood issue, some will take questioning the numbers or a desire to get real statistics as somehow minimizing the issue so let me be clear: even 1 death is 1 too many and represents a terrible loss to some family, but that is a separate to looking for accurate information to talk meaningfully about the issue.

• Jeff Davies
    Jeff Davies

Hurts me to say but my little sister was brought up a JW (as was I) and took her life 6 years ago this Christmas. She was in her early 20’s.

I have no doubt that this upbring was a major contributing factor to her death although I have never said this to my parents. She was always looking for something as soon as she stopped going to the Kingdom Hall and studied various different religions.

Whether there is a higher suicide rate from ex JW's I actually doubt though... it takes a lot of strength of character to leave everything you know behind; not the actions of a person who gives up the fight easily.

• Simon
    Simon

Sorry to hear that, I always imagine people who'd suffered some family tragedy / bereavement on or around some annual holiday have a double burden with all the inevitable reminders of the loss.

According to http://www.befrienders.org/suicide-statistics the suicide rate is 16 per 100,000 people (but that is global, it varies with demographics). But, with ~9m members, the JWs should have about 1,440 per year to be on par with the general population (funny how the 1440... number feels so "WTS" like eh?).

That would be about 1 per congregation per year ... which seems like the JW suicide rate must be way lower because it seems like that would be pretty noticeable if it were happening.

Figures for ex-JWs are harder to come up with - no one does an annual count.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Jeff Davies,

Whether there is a higher suicide rate from ex JW's I actually doubt though... it takes a lot of strength of character to leave everything you know behind; not the actions of a person who gives up the fight easily.

My thoughts exactly on the strength of character. However, some ex-JWs have been kicked or dropped out for other reasons than apostasy which don't involve character.

• Simon
    Simon
    some ex-JWs have been kicked or dropped out for other reasons than apostasy which don't involve character.

That's very true.

Also, not everyone who leaves has such an ordeal doing it - I think the majority just stop going and don't really become "ex-JWs" like many of us here have. They just leave and that's it.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Also, not every who leaves has such an ordeal - I think the majority just stop going and don't really become "ex-JWs" like many of us here have.

They just leave and that's it.....Simon

I think it`s easier to just leave and forget about it,for the ones who joined/converted..

They had a previous non-JW life,they have something to go back to..

Born In`s have to make a new life,where do you start?..

Friends are gone,family is gone.....You have no one..

Your education probably sucks..

You have to learn real social skills..

Lessons you should have learned earlier in life,you have to learn at a later age..

It`s not easy..

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Outlaw,

They had a previous non-JW life,they have something to go back to..

That leaves me in a twilight zone between born in and converted. I was converted at 13 and stayed until 21. I had nothing to go back to but I did, in the back of my mind, think that it was possible to just leave. Also, my social skills are atrocious.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I havent' heard of any documented stats on jw and suicide. But I bet if we gathered stats of individuals we know that committed suicide as a direct result of being associated with jehovah's witnesses, we might find that the numbers are pretty high.

For starters , I personally know of 1 in my circle that committed suicide as a direct result and circumstance of shunning.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

It was an attempted suicide by a JW adolescent that provoked me (after my disfellowshipping) to overturn the table holding the emblems at the memorial. I didn't care what they thought of me.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It's commonly assumed that JWs have high mental illness and suicide rates, but I am not aware of any strong evidence to support it.

Personally I know a lot of JWs with mental health problems and I've know 3 JWs who committed suicide, and heard of others. Anecdotal evidence suggests to me JWs do have a problem. But I don't know of any firm empirical data to back it up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit