After leaving the JWs

by punkofnice 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Correction: In my post where I wrote "Year later he began ..." I meant to write 'Years later he began ...".

More info: A publisher of Bob Avakian's book (Avakian might be owner of the publisher) lists a book by Ardea Skybreak called THE SCIENCE OF EVOLUTION AND THE MYTH OF CREATIONISM: KNOWING WHAT’S REAL AND WHY IT MATTERS. I think it is probably an excellent book. Regarding Ardea the publisher says the following. "Ardea Skybreak is a scientist with professional training in ecology and evolutionary biology. She is a follower of Bob Avakian and an advocate of the New Communism which he has developed. ... From a very early age, she was encouraged to become a critical thinker and systematically trained as an intellectual with a wide and diverse range of interests and passions in a great many spheres of both arts and sciences. Skybreak has had a lifelong commitment to demystifying and broadly popularizing evidence-based science and the scientific method. ... In Skybreak’s view, the fact that large parts of humanity have been deprived of a scientific understanding and approach is a problem that is being further compounded in today’s world by the widespread politically motivated attacks on science. She argues that actively combating anti-science, and promoting the consistent application and broad popularization of the scientific method, is essential if we are to find the ways to interact appropriately with the whole of the natural world, and to radically reorganize human societies in keeping with the objective interests of all of humanity."

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Wow. I've come back to a lot of reading. Most interesting to see differing views. Thanks for your input. Whereas I try to give individual comments, I'm struggling this time.

I will say, I wish you all the very best, Peaceful Pete.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Off topic , but just sending best wishes to Peaceful Pete... I hope your surgery goes( maybe went) well.

Hope to see you posting again soon

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Qit - Your faith was built on the WTBS?

I'm not sure what that means? I had a belief system set up around what came from the Americans at WT HQ. It was supposed to be from the Bible.

Not sure if that's what you mean.

After leaving the slaveholdery of the WTBT$, I became a mainstream Christian I think you could say.

Funnily enough, it was in a Church I concluded there was probably no God as per Bible or other 'Holy' book.....and probably no higher creating, influencing power at all. (I mean there is naff all out there and never was that made or guides us).

...............but I could be convinced otherwise with some sort of tangible evidence.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

My world view became rather warped. I was rather nihilistic and self-destructive. My Ego was out of control.

After hitting a wall I began working on myself. I started studying psychology and philosophy. The Ego dissolved and now I am at peace.

I see why people suffer. I understand the suffering of people, both as individuals and in groups. It has definitely turned me off to politics and religion.

I got rid of all my smart devices. I deleted all my social media accounts. Life has become much better for me. I felt at peace for the first time in my life.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Well I ain't dead yet. Thanks for kind thoughts. You reach an age where everyone you love leaves or is facing crisis. Hang on to who you can and tune out the pot stirrers.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

@PeacefulPete - Glad to see you post-surgery. Hope your healing goes better than expected.

-Aude.

• Marbles
    Marbles

"How do I View the World After Leaving the JW's?"

So, you asked this question and then posted what seems to be your answer(s).

But if I interpret your question as a question, like a real question to a non-JW (I have never been a JW), then I would answer your question with-

Keep your world view local, but also keep an eye on mass production, and the billionaires that come with it, being regulated more seriously and either forced to close or forced to stop polluting the atmosphere with carbon and creating severe and deadly storms.

This past August we had a massive forest fire near where I live, and I do mean massive. It burned for two and one half weeks and the locals were forced to evacuate. I stayed behind because I was caring for a mother cat on the property, two father cats, five kittens, and one unknown small cat (who, it turns out was also nursing kittens but was needing extra food, so she ate the food I was feeding the semi-feral cats). As a result of all the carbon from the fire we had a severe winter. The rain just wasn't rain, it beat down severely for more than a week, multiple times. It did not just snow. It snowed for so many days it snapped the power lines and we were without electricity for a week and a half- the entire town, including all businesses. One local gas station owner could not operate his debit card machine without power to sell gas, so he himself actually had to buy gas for his car from a competing local gas station. This town knows for certain about climate change, global warming, and its relationship to mass production factories, though in this case it was related to the fire.

My world view though is this- I found a little family of cats (actually they found me, and they will not come inside) to care for. They truly need me and they would have a terrible life if I did not provide care for them. I contacted the Humane Society and they provide me with half a month's food supply, and paid to have them all spayed and neutered and get rabies shots. I make personal sacrifices for them so that they can have some semblance of a normal happy cat life. They have a safe and secure enclosed area on my porch. I have bought tarps, a tent, heating pads, blankets, a heat lamp, and more. I have happiness vicariously. Sometimes happiness can be found in making sacrifices in caring for and helping some living thing that really needs you.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Pete...... you said “You reach an age where everyone you love leaves or is facing crisis”

Too right there mate. It is sad to see old friends ravaged by the effects of time and old age..... However we are still here ! And it is good to see your picture. You are a good looking son of a ( you choose the word) !

Stay peaceful

[ Edit... Apologies to Punk for co opting his thread]

• LV101
    LV101

peacefulpete -- speedy recovery and believe in miracles.🍀

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit