Why Do Intelligent People Still Believe In The Jehovah’s Witness Religion?

by minimus 47 Replies latest jw friends

• just fine
    just fine

I think it’s because they want someone else to make their decisions for them. It absolves them of responsibility for their actions and the outcomes because the organization does the thinking for them.

• Carmichael
    Carmichael

Cognitive dissonance is the state of having or being presented with inconsistent and/or contradictory thoughts, beliefs, ideals, and values.

It can occur when someone comes to the conclusion that the facts about themselves and their beliefs and lives do not match up with their preconceived ideas. The dissonance can be momentary or constant for a significant, but limited time and the subject deals with it in one of either two ways: either they accept the facts that their preconceived ideas were wrong and now act on the facts as they are or they fight off the facts by digging themselves deeper into their falsehoods.

The fictional character Harry Potter is a good example of someone who, in each book, comes face-to-face with a moment of cognitive dissonance--realizing that everything he believed in the story up to a certain point was false--and acting on the newly-learned facts to change himself and the current situation.

Harry Potter is fictional. Most people cannot and will not change so quickly. People hate to be told they are wrong and change often takes time, years often, before we change ourselves and situation, not moments like Harry. Just think of how long most of us took to leave the Witnesses behind.

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

Its like any cult I guess. Why to people believe in BLM or Antifa? Why did millions follow the Nazi party? People don't like to think for themselves.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

Why Do Intelligent People Still Believe In The Jehovah’s Witness Religion?

Intelligent People?

What exactly do people mean when someone is said to be intelligent.

Harvey Weinstein is intelligent, he was a film producer that built an empire and made a lot of beautiful women “STARS”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAuOfN7kId0

Bill Cosby is intelligent, he has a doctorate in education from the University of Massachusetts of Amherst

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOu_MsjKp6s

Bill Clinton is intelligent, he was President of the United States.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBe_guezGGc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q3U48jgOp8

A person can be intelligent---and stupid at the same time.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    Why Do Intelligent People Still Believe In The Jehovah's Witness Religion?

It's likely we all think of ourselves as reasonably intelligent so all we have to do is look back at our own JW experience and think about all the various reasons we stayed in. Same old reasons....different people.

• Overrated
    Overrated

I could not believe my father fell for WT shit!?! And he is ex military.

• Overrated
    Overrated

I could not take WT crap! The more you think it over and over and then the bullshit meter goes off. Everytime wt comes out with stuff, bullshit.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I’m my mind it’s not so much of why Intelligent people join the the JWs. It’s why intelligent people join the mormons, or why former JWs switch to the lds. Because that group (LDS) just take crazy to a whole new level. If I had to choose between 607BCE, or Joseph being a prophet of God. I’d be more inclined to take my chances with 607BCE. Lol

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JUST FINE:

I agree with what you said even if somebody else downvoted your post...I also had the same opinion of many JWs. They either didn’t want to think or they didn’t want responsibility. I felt they wanted to be told what shoe to put on first.

I was raised Catholic but joined JWs as a young adult in the workforce. I was interested in end-time prophecy..I was appalled at certain attitudes there. One thing that frustrated me was what I now know to be a culture of ‘fear’ that I certainly didn’t experience as a Catholic... Fear of giving an opinion, fear of being thought of as not spiritual, paranoid of what people thought..the list goes on.

This is probably because they wanted to be ‘righteous’ (or be seen that way). That way they get invited to gatherings I was excluded from. I’m grateful my ‘worldly’ 🙄 upbringing saved me from succumbing to peer pressure.. I’m so grateful I held onto that job they all hated me for until Retirement.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I think one must distinguish between stupid and crazy. Let me illustrate...

A man blew a tire on a road beside a psychiatric hospital. As he was putting on the spare a wreckless driver clipped the hubcap in which he had placed all 5 wheel nuts flipping them into the adjacent ditch. After half an hour searching he only came up with one wheel nut. He was absolutely clueless until an inmate of the institution who had seen the whole thing through a window commented.. "Hey, why don't you remove the other hubcaps and take one nut from each wheel, put your spare on and head for the nearest garage?"

Incredulous, the man looked up and blurted out, "You are so smart, what are you doing in there?" The inmate looked down and confided, "Look, I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit