What if all JWs had put off having children?

by keyser soze 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Could the religion have survived?

I know it was never forbidden, but I remember growing up, how we were encouraged to put it off until the new system, and instead focus on a career in the full time service.

Can you imagine if every young JW had chosen to follow that counsel? It's difficult to imagine the religion being sustainable without the next generation of born-ins.

• Ding
    Ding

Great point!

Think of all the potential JWs that were never born because the WT said it wasn't wise to have children with the end so close.

It leads me to believe that the WT leaders really believed their own hype and their own end of the world chronology.

They really thought they would never grow old in this system of things.

Then Freddy lived to be what, 99?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

KS:

Probably the religion would not have survived and would have gone the way of the Shakers and other American sects!

• Wayward
    Wayward

It was never forbidden as in a straight-up "Thou shalt NOT have children" but the view of having kids was portrayed in such a negative light that it might as well have been forbidden. It was before my family converted but I've heard stories from the 60s about how couples who had kids were looked down on as 'spiritually weak'.

• blondie
    blondie

It was strongly implied that jws that had children were not showing they felt that the end was close, that they should be putting their energies and monies into the preaching work.

The book Children that came out in the early 1940's showed a young couple that were dating decide not to get married and concentrate on spiritual things.

This concept starting letting up in the 1950's gradually. I remember a couple in my area from a prominent family that had 6 children at that time and were frowned upon or looked down up as lacking spirituality.

Recommendations against Marriage and Child Bearing

Jehovah's Witnesses are not against marriage or children and work hard to have happy families. For instance, the Watchtower 2011 October 15 states on page 13, "Individual Christians today also have the right to decide for themselves whether to get married or to stay single. Others should not pressure them to take one course or another." However, particularly during times of heightened expectation of Armageddon, the Watchtower Society has encouraged children and marriage to be postponed till after Armageddon; reasoning it detracts from the work of spreading their message in these "last days." Those that followed such advice in previous decades have missed the joy of having their own family, one of the the principle joys of life.

Watchtower 2016 Apr Study ed. p.9
    "Thousands of young Christian men and women are willingly sacrificing marriage or are not having children—at least for now—in order to serve Jehovah to the full. Older ones too may be sacrificing the time they could otherwise spend with their children and grandchildren in order to work on theocratic construction projects or to attend the School for Kingdom Evangelizers and to serve in areas where the need for Kingdom publishers is greater. Others set aside personal matters to share in service campaigns during the Memorial season. Such wholehearted service brings deep joy to Jehovah, who will never forget their work and the love shown for him. (Read Hebrews 6:10- 12.) Would it be possible for you to make additional sacrifices to serve Jehovah more fully?" (This implies that jws that have children and not serving God to the full)

Watchtower 2008 Apr 15 p.19 Single and childless for a Noble purpose.
    "... numerous couples have decided to remain childless ... to remain free to serve Jehovah ... putting Kingdom interests above some of the privileges that go with marriage ... Jehovah will not forget their work, and the love they show for his name... There will be a great tribulation ... it will be difficult time for us adults and children alike ..."

Watchtower 2000 August 1 p.21 Why Do They Have No Children?
    "Although Noah's three sons were all married, none fathered children until after the Deluge. While this does not imply that it is wrong to have children today, many Christian couples decline to have children so as to become more fully involved in the urgent work that Jehovah has given his people to do. Some couples have waited for a time before having children; others have decided to remain childless and consider the possibility of bearing children in Jehovah's righteous new world."

Watchtower 1988 March 1 p. 19 Childbearing Among God's People
    "If the expansion of Christianity was to come about mainly by childbearing, Jesus would not have encouraged his disciples to "make room" for singleness "on account of the kingdom of the heavens." (Matthew 19:10-12)
    How should Christians view marriage and childbearing today, in this "time of the end"? (Daniel 12:4) It is truer than ever that "the scene of this world is changing," or, as another translation puts it, "the present scheme of things is rapidly passing away."-1 Corinthians 7:31, Phillips. Now, as never before, "the time left is reduced." Yes, only a limited time remains for Jehovah's people to finish the work he has given them to do, namely: "This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come." (Matthew 24:14) That work must be accomplished before the end comes. It is, therefore, appropriate for Christians to ask themselves how getting married or, if married, having children will affect their share in that vital work.
    During all this pre-Flood period, Noah's sons and their wives had no children."

Awake! 1974 November 8 p.11
    "Today there is a great crowd of people who are confident that a destruction of even greater magnitude is now imminent. The evidence is that Jesus' prophecy will shortly have a major fulfilment, upon this entire system of things. This has been a major factor in influencing many couples to decide not to have children at this time. They have chosen to remain childless so that they would be less encumbered to carry out the instructions of Jesus Christ to preach the good news of God's kingdom earth wide before the end of this system comes. -Matt.24:14."

Children (1941) 3,000,000 ed. pp.312-313
    "Should men and women, both of whom are Jonadabs or "other sheep" of the Lord, now marry before Armageddon and bring forth children? They may chose to do so, but the admonition or advice of the scriptures appears to be against it.

Face the Facts (1938) pp.46-50
    "Would it be Scripturally proper for them to now marry and to begin to rear children? No, is the answer, which is supported by the Scripture . Those Jonadabs who now contemplate marriage, it would seem, would do better if they wait a few years, until the fiery storm of Armageddon is gone..."

Watchtower 1938 November 1 p.324
    "...mark the words of Jesus, which definitely seem to discourage the bearing of children immediately before or during Armageddon

Golden Age 1937 January 27 edition "That Delusion Called Love"
    "God's consecrated people do well to refrain from marriage unless they find themselves continually tormented with desire for sexual intercourse, in which case they should marry. For those of the younger or older who have need to marry on this score, let them dispose of the matter in candor and honesty shunning the blight, the delusions and illusions of "love" so called and courtship, which bring reproach on the holy name of Jehovah." http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/quotes/marriage-child-bearing.php

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

That sentiment was still really strong in the late '80s. Two of my closest friends growing up never had children and are past 40 now.

I think the religion might currently be larger in the absence of that rhetoric.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

There would now be ZERO baptisms at most assemblies/conventions. . . . Doc

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Thanks for all the quotes Blondie!

• All or nothing
    All or nothing

Yes, my husband and I were also one of those couples that stupidly listened to the advise not to have kids...10 years into being married I noticed all the planned children other couples in our circuit were having and it really confused me...now that we are awake I feel we are too old and confused as to what the hell we would even teach these kids that we are just content to live our lives happy and free of the cult...😔

• All or nothing
    All or nothing

Also thank you for the quotes blondie... My mother in law actually told me that the society- she still calls it that...never said that we shouldn't have kids... Now I have some proof to show her because I did not feel like searching for the proof I knew was there...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit