Peace and security

by BourneIdentity 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BourneIdentity
    BourneIdentity

Scrolling through the news this morning and I couldn’t help to think we are light years from any leaders crying out peace and security. JWs are going to have to wait another decade or two and see how things develop before they get excited about Armageddon coming in their lifetime.

• cofty
    cofty

Enemies come and go and old rivalries re-emerge.

China, Iran, Russia, Islamist terrorism....

There is no utopia in the world's future. Thank God!

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Actually next year is supposed to be the International Year of Peace and Trust recognized by the United Nations. And 1986 was an International Year of Peace. And world leaders have mentioned "peace and security" many times. Yet here we all are. No sudden destruction has instantly come upon us.

• Fadeaway1962
    Fadeaway1962

Yes and people just starting to feel a bit more financially secure after the financial crash in 2008 , now more people losing their jobs and more in fear of job losses in the months ahead because of the covid19 crisis.

And governments borrowing billions to assist people which will have to be paid for so possible higher taxes etc

Yes a decade or more before people will fill secure again .

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

As long as there at least 2 separate nations on Earth, there will be no peace. By the time the Earth does have a one-world government the people of Mars will want to fight for their independence from Earth.

• sir82
    sir82

Didn't you hear?

"Nations" are going to all work together and find a miraculous cure for COVID-19. They will be so inspired by their united success, they will follow the next logical steps: proclaim "worldwide peace and security" and then "destroy all religions".

Don't roll your eyes at me! This is all Bible-based.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

We don't even need other world nations. Look at all the Peace & Security in Minneapolis right now.

Of course, JW's see such as a sign of the lawlessness vs a lack of Peace & Security.

Vector Html Spinningtoppng - Spinning Top Clipart Transparent PNG ...

They will spin it to fit their recent revelation of New Light

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Nations have been proclaiming peace and security going right back to biblical times up to are own modern times,

The last book of the bible Revelation is mostly made up of fictional mythology where select men were trying built power and relevance to their own god, distinguishing their god from other present gods of the time which other civilizations were worshiping.

Simple rational thought is not that hard to accept when you know the historical facts of the activity of ancient civilizations.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

My Dad once told me that the world's governments will cry "peace and security" specifically when it couldn't be farther from the truth, and that's why it would be so offensive to Jehovah.

Other JW theories have touched on conspiracy theories about the so-called "New World Order" global government that would be used as the conduit for the "peace and security" declaration, whilst terrorism would actually invalidate it.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

I had a thread on this topic a few years ago. (Here) The NAC-Thessalonians commentary that is quoted in the OP (of that thread) has a very interesting take on 1Th 5:3. Because of the wording used in 1Th 5:3, it understands the verse to be describing the world's nonchalant view of a coming "day of the Lord." Paul is saying that that attitude already prevailed in his day among non-Christians, and that the world would continue to have that attitude until that "day" suddenly erupted in the lives of humanity. From that standpoint, 1Th 5:3 is not all that different from Luke 17:26-30, which is why Paul could tell the Thessalonians what he did in 1Th 5:1-2.

It appears to me that many of the comments above are not so much comments on 1Th 5:3 per se, but rather, comments on the WT's long held interpretation of that verse.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit