Latest on Greg Stafford

by Nitty-Gritty 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Very interesting to see this latest video, thanks. I’m probably one of the few people who has read practically everything Greg Stafford has published (in books and online), although admittedly my interest has dropped off in recent years. I think he’s had a tough time and I have often wondered what his ultimate goal is now in promoting selected JW beliefs independently of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Falling between two stools, and so largely neglected as irrelevant, can’t be a terribly comfortable place to be.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

To answer careful: Stafford has been promoting “Jah” and “Jah’s Witnesses” as names for around a decade or so.

Stafford’s reasoning for using Jah instead of Jehovah is like this. He argues that the New Testament probably used the divine name in the original, but he admits that he cannot prove this. So his position is somewhat weaker than JWs. However Stafford is convinced that the divine name is important and he points out that, even if the divine name is not restored to the New Testament as a whole, even evangelical critics must admit that the shortened form of the divine name Jah appears in Revelation 19. Since this form of the divine name is securely in the New Testament text Stafford makes his case that this is the form Christians should use.

Additionally is does also serve to position himself precisely where he is ideologically: closer to JWs than mainstream Christianity, but nevertheless distinct from JWs.

I don’t know anything about the number, composition or spread of “Jah’s Witnsses” but I find it entirely plausible that Stafford has built up a small community of like-minded people through online and local networks.

Edit: Sorry that’s right, he settled on the full title - Christian Witnesses of Jah. Not terribly elegant and a bit of a mouthful.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Greg vacillates so much. I don't know what to make of him

• cofty
    cofty

I really don't understand why somebody would cling to any remnant of Watchtower dogma.

It is 100% bullshit.

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

cofty: 15 hours agoI really don't understand why somebody would cling to any remnant of Watchtower dogma. It is 100% bullshit.

I get your point, but aren't you exagerating? "100% bullshit"?

To suggest that the WT people only deliver "100% bullshit" is almost like saying that we all here at this forum are 100% right, or that everybody else out there is 100% right.

My point is that most of us here are convinced in varying degrees that the WT org is basically flawed, and dishonest in many ways. But to suggest they don't even have a 10% chance of being right in some belief seems an exaggeration. Are you using a hyperbole?

• Nostromo
    Nostromo

I wonder what this is all about.... has Greg lost his mind? His videos have changed lately, they used to be daily texts from the Bible but now there has been videos about hidden symbols in Hollywood movies. And now this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP5OaUjViKU

• careful
    careful

His emphasis seems to have changed. Now he's got some small group of followers that he appears to be devoted to shepherding. Earlier he was pretty much just into theology. It's kind of ironic because he's now using electronic media to do his small group shepherding. Therefore, whether intended of not, he's imitating the WTS.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

That last video is painful to watch

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Don't you just love the XJWs who leave because the Org isn't weird and kooky enough?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit