Share Your Personal Experiences Please!

by LaurenM 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• LaurenM
    LaurenM

So since leaving the Borg I've made quite a few stupid mistakes, hurting myself a lot..but I finally feel like I've learned and I think, in time, I'll find my happiness again...even more happiness that I could've ever had being a JW.

But my question to you guys is, what was your experience like leaving the Borg? Did you struggle at all? How long have you been out? What is your life like now? Is it happy? I still have this unshakeable, irrational feeling that Jehovah will/is punishing me for what I've done..although I know that's not true. Please share!

• just fine
    just fine

I have been out for nearly 20 years after having been born into it.

Struggle is an understatement. It took me a few years, lots of mistakes, and some therapy to get my life back together. Untangling my head was the most difficult, realizing it was a load of crap, no Armageddon coming, no judgement took awhile. I used alcohol as a crutch and did many self destructive things.

Life now is great and I am happy. I married a wonderful and supportive "worldly" man 15 years ago. He helped me to have the courage to go to college, I got my degree and it's been all good since then. My job is fulfilling most of the time, my marriage is fantastic, and I have been truly blessed materially. It's not perfect, but I am happy. That has helped my parents to accept me, what can they say?

You are right - once you get it together, it will be better than you can imagine.

• brandnew
    brandnew
    Im like totally diggin premarital sex n stuff.....ya know.....n stuff☺
  • LaurenM
    LaurenM
    Thanks for sharing Just Fine (:...sorry if this post seems redundant in any way, but I think it would be nice to hear everyone's experiences...good or bad
  • brandnew
    brandnew
    N STUFF !!!!!!
  • brandnew
    brandnew
    Sorry....im kinda a ...ummmm attention addict.....n want it all sometimes....n stuff.....im a nice puppy.....pictures lie sometimez☺
  • airborne
    airborne

For me once I DA'd it was the fear factor that hit me. But then it passed and I'm slowly getting my wings. It's been over a year.

Remember you are a cult survivor. Be nice to yourself.

• LaurenM
    LaurenM
    Haha you're funny brandnew...and I agree that's a good thing to keep in mind Airborne. It's not an easy transition finding your wings after being part of a cult. Perhaps that's why it takes time & isn't an easy process.
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon

Life is not supposed to be great when you leave the borg. Family members that are still

JW's are puzzled. We (me and sons) should be living in the streets, jail or dead.

The boys mom (my ex) see no reason to witness to them when they visit. My one JW

daughter told me my ex brags about the boys to other JW's, how great they are doing.

My kids were born in so like so many here it was a tough road for them.

• fiddler
    fiddler

I've been out since 1999...too lazy to do the math...but in that time, early on, I lost my religion, a husband in death due to cancer but gained 3 of my 4 children in leaving the religion. That was a definite plus!

There were certainly rough patches for me and my kids learning the ropes of just being human...not some elite group entitled to life everlasting but just human having the human experiences that sometimes were great and sometimes were unpleasant. It's not like there were never unpleasant experiences in jwdom. In my life as a wife and mother in the JW religion I can truly say there was more unhappiness than happiness.

Upon leaving, although there has been unhappiness, there has been much more genuine happiness. I have one daughter still in the JW religion and I can tell you, that is the one truly unhappy point in my life and when I look at her I see a daughter who has given her true personae, her authentic self, over to a group of men (GB) who have become synonymous with Jehovah...one and the same! She actually believes that if she disobeys the governing body she is disobeying Jehovah, which to her represents the creator of the universe. How sad that a group of men can reek such damage on a human soul by impersonating the creator!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit