Chronic relapse - what do I do?

by wayoutthere 19 Replies latest jw friends

• wayoutthere
    wayoutthere

My first post here and unfortunately it is asking for help.

I was a born in Jehovah's Witness and from my earliest memories, I know I hated being one. I hated the embarrassment of being the "outsider" at school and I hated not being allowed to have any friends. Of course I had the obligatory friends in the kingdom hall - none of whom were my age exactly and none of whom I would have personally chosen to be friends with if I had been left to pick them myself in a natural setting. At school I had great friends who I had a natural affinity with but obviously my relationship with them was extremely limited with absolutely zero social interaction allowed outside the class room.

Growing up as a witness was a horrible ordeal and a very lonely one. The overriding feeling for me was one of being "different" to everyone else. I never fitted in in the hall because I never took to any of the teachings so I was the least zealous of the young ones; you know the type... potentially a bad influence. And I never fitted in in school because I was the one who belonged to a bat shit crazy religious freakdom. So I was an outsider in every group.

At 16 I left home and the religion and never looked back. No one in my life from that day on ever knew I had been a JW. That was my past and I never wanted it to be part of my new life.

I never cut ties with my family though. Looking back I don't know if that was a good thing or bad. My parents never shunned me and in fact I have shunned them more than anything because I resent them so much for giving me such an awful childhood. I light of what I am about to say, I do wish I had walked away and disowned my family that day I left home. But I didn't, and because I didn't, I did have to confide in my fiance about my upbringing, simply because my parents would be coming to the wedding and I needed to warn about their crazy beliefs. So my fiance (now partner) was the only person I have ever told about my JW origins since I left the cult at 16.

Since then I've had a wonderful 30 years of life. A happy marriage, wonderful children, great friends, good health, financially secure. Deep down there has always been the nagging pain that I am different to everyone else, but it was my secret and never affected me. I felt secure and confident because I was no longer different. People looked at me and saw me; not the weirdo religious nut.

Then Christmas just past, my partner innocently revealed to a close friend during the normal conversations about seeing family over the holiday, that we don't see my family because they are Jehovah's Witnesses.

My world fell apart when I found out.

My self confidence has crashed. I literally have not been able to leave the house in over 2 months. All of a sudden, I am the odd one out again. I'm different and people know it. A friend came around this weekend just to drop off a present for my child and I had what felt like a mild panic attack. My heart was pounding, my breathing became shallow and fast and I was physically shaking.

Now here's the thing. I know this is totally irrational. My partner told one person who almost certainly couldn't care less and has never given it a second thought. There is more chance of me being struck by lightening than them passing that information on to any of our other friends. And even if every single one of our friends knew, they wouldn't care and would not look at me differently. I know all this from a logical rational perspective.

And yet I am having deep involuntary reactions. I "think" everyone is know looking at me differently, thinking of me in a worse light. Basically I feel like a child again - the odd one out, the different one.

I know this is all in my head and I know it is totally irrational, but I now want to make another clean break like I did when I was 16. I want to move to a different country and start again where no one knows me and I never want any contact with anyone from this life ever again. But of course I don't want to do that to my family. I don't want them to have to start again. So my other choice is I become a recluse and never leave my house or see anyone. But again, that is no way for my family to live.

So choice 3 is I learn to get over this and deal with it. But how? I can force myself to see people and socialize, and I can put on a front that no one will ever know there is a problem. But inside I will be dying, and I don't want that.

I never thought I would contemplate speaking with a counselor or seek help for my mental health. That is not me. But I now feel desperate. I left this cult successfully and pain free 30 years ago and suddenly I am finding myself having to deal with an emotional turmoil I never even realized I had.

Does anyone have any advice? Specifically what sort of therapy or treatment should I or could I look for that will help put my mind right?

• Tricked
    Tricked

I get it. I think we all feel the same to varying degrees. There's such a stigma to being a witness added to the fact that we have been taught to feel guilty for not remaining in.

The book Combatting Cult Mind Control by Stephen Hassan might be helpful as it gives info on how to deprogram/reprogram to a healthier state of mind. I downloaded a free copy of this recently and it has helped.

Hope you are feeling better soon. Anxiety is awful and seems to be a big part of life for those that have had associations with the org no matter how long ago.

• Bardamu
    Bardamu

i left home and the religion at 19, unbaptised, i also kinda shuned my family more than they shuned me.

the difference with me is that i still thought that it was the truth and respected the religion, i just thought that i could not do it and i managed to live happily not caring about it at all. I never talked to anyone about my background until recently where i started really seeing the WT for what it is.

It's a strange feeling because i was not shocked, everything was already beyond me but the difference it made is that now i feel no shame talking about it at all. It's who you are, how you were raised, not your fault especially if you left so young so many years ago.

Im almost excited when i reveal it now, people just react with surprise and curiosity. I don't know what else to say, your friends and family know you and love you for who you are, there is no shame at all you should feel.

I even think that growing up in the "truth" and leaving early without much complications is a strenght as it gives you a certain perspective on things and you really enjoy your freedom. You come from a very different background that people cannot understand but they know it and wont care much. One guy even said to me : " wow my childhood was just plain boring and ordinary, this is something. " almost felt proud lol.

You lived the best years of your life happily =) it's not like others who waste much more precious time in the cult.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Yes, the WTS robbed you of your childhood. Don't let "it" rob you of your adult life. Glad you recognize that your emotional turmoil is irrational. Behavioral therapy will help you over it. You may even end up being proud to let others know that you saw through this religion and left it as a teen. You can wear that as a badge.

BTW I feel for your husband as well.

• wayoutthere
    wayoutthere
    the WTS robbed you of your childhood. Don't let "it" rob you of your adult life.

Perhaps a little unusual for this forum, but I don't blame the WTS for anything at all. They are just an organisation presenting an obscene pile of nonsense. I believe the individuals who willingly choose to go along with it are utterly responsible for their own choices and actions. And to that end, I blame my parents entirely. It is they who robbed me of my childhood. It is they who chose to put the grotesque demands of a few old men in Brooklyn over the needs and happiness of their children.

However, your comment has made me think it could be a possible coping mechanism for this. My parents did ruin my life as a child and I won't let them ruin what I now have as an adult as well. That may be easier said than done, but it could be a starting point to work on; I appreciate the advice. Thank you.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I know this is totally irrational.

Your overreaction......... based on what you have told us........definitely needs to be discussed with a therapist. Please for your sake and your family's.

When my wife and I left 48 years ago we had little to nothing to do with the JW's. There was no reason to tell anyone how we were raised but we didn't hide it if it came up.

Five years ago I find this forum and get reacquainted with my JW past. I start reading and then I'm thinking this is my lost tribe! We speak the same language......After four plus decades being 'out' I can still understand everyone on here.

Then of course the stories, the horrors some have experienced, the childhoods, the rejection compelled me to actually start speaking to my friends about that part of my life.

Everyone was familiar with Jehovah's Witnesses after all we have two KH's in our small city, but no one really understood their beliefs or the organization.

For me it was liberating to tell people I was once a witness. I was embarrassed about pioneering instead of going to college but nobody treats me any differently. In fact they think my wife and I were courageous to have left so early in our lives.

I can't believe you walked out at 16.......now that was really courageous.

• freddo
    freddo

@wayoutthere

No, it isn't ALL your parents fault. It is partly - at least - the WTS's leaders fault.They bear MUCH responsibility.

It might just be that one of your parents had a traumatic event (death of a loved one?) that happened to coincide with those lovely pioneers - who themselves were taken in at the height of WW2 or the Cuban missile crisis by Judge Ratherflawed and/or Mad Freddie Franz's Coming Climax - promising Panda Petting Paradise.

You seem to see things in "absolutes" - life isn't like that. You seem to have a lot of resentment towards your parents. They might have been weak and gullible but unless they abused you I suggest you get some perspective for your and your partner's well-being.

I sometimes wallow in "what if's" about my jw upbringing but I think my mother (especially) was selfish but also weak and foolish and did what she could with her own upbringing (including WW2) of a domineering father and a perpetually sick mother.

I love that you can see the irrationality of your views - it means you can overcome this and move forward.

• naazira
    naazira

You sound like a fugitive that just saw their photo on a wanted poster. I suppose you're feeling a bit exposed now? Now, that your "secret" was leaked? I think this is a good way for you to move forward. You kept this past life in the dark and never really acknowledged it. But when the secret was exposed light shone in on the dark. I believe the more you talk about that secret you take away its power. Let your eyes adjust to the light, keep talking about it. It's time to do some mental grooming and housekeeping. Maybe you will benefit from talk therapy or CBT therapy.

You said your self confidence crashed I say to this: what people think of you is none of your business. What they think, good or bad, does not diminish your worth. I think you worry more about how people perceive you. Why was it so important for you to keep this hidden?

• kairos
    kairos

It has been difficult to tell some of my friends that I was a witness.

I actively started perusing 'worldly' friends around 2004.
    I did not witness to them or judge them.
    ( decade long JW double-life )

Many 'knew', but did not care. Now all these years later, when I have ZERO JW friends, the 'worldly' friends are still by my side.

( the term worldly is stupid )

Everyone I tell is supportive. None have suggested returning to Jive-Hobo...

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

It sounds a little irrational, but then again you were traumatized being in this religion. It's an obvious unresolved issue with you, one that you haven't met head on.

A therapist may help you put things in their right prospective, so that you can move on from this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit