Help, Advice Needed on Not Talking to Parents....

by kitties_and_horses_oh_my! 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug
    And yet I've been so afraid that I would get all the way through school and be a terrible nurse, get burned out in three weeks and quit, because I'm such a failure at everything I do in life.

Are you a failure in life ?? I don't think so, you are taking command of your own life and I suspect you can do a much better job of that than your abusive, controlling parents who can't even control their own lives.

You aren't "doing it alone" as she suggests
    your parents are NOT going to change (or at least stop what they are doing) until you stand up to their behaviour and refuse to take it anymore. So empower yourself. Learn how to stop them in their tracks and require them to treat you with the dignity and respect you deserve

.The above statements by Skully really hit home. You are not alone and your parents are not going to change. As you have pointed out you have the people at the NW Apostafest, Lady Lee, Skully, your husband, everyone on this board. Lady Lee and Skully can be very valuable as they have training in this area and Skully could probably give you some good advice on your nursing career. All of these folks are as near as your computer. Feel free to include me among the above named folks, although I don't have the training that Lady Lee and Skully have, I would make a good shoulder if you should need one. Simply PM me. Hang in there and remember it is your life, not your parents.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

kitties

wow seems to me like you are ready for this. Glad the article helped you see things clearer. Sometimes we already know this deep inside but need to see it from someone else's perspective.

An abuser can only dump his or her rage and frustration on someone if there is someone to let it out on. Sometimes parents pick one child and use that one as a scapegoat. The other kids get off relatively scot free although there is an indirect effect going on. Other parents spread it around.

And some kids need so much to believe that they are loved that they ignore the abusive behavior or redefine it as loving. Seems to me your sister has learned to be as abusive as your parents. Kids will either copy the abuse they learn or want to run from it.

Recognizing the problem is the first step and emotional abuse is very hard to identify. Few people even know what it is. So, yes you have taken the first steps.

The other thing about leaving is that you make them feel like the failures they are. Not too many people like that. They already feel that way inside. You leaving just gives them no outlet for it anymore. And they will be angry. That is their issue. Not yours.

Your issue to to find ways to live abuse free and to undo the damage they did.

As for strength - anyone who can get through a life time of abuse can get through nursing school and be great at it

One thing about the letter - write it and put it away. Take it out after a few days and read it. Change what you need to change and put it away again. Wait a week and take it out and reread. Change what you need to change - maybe add something maybe delete something. Keep doing this until you take it out and "know" there are no more changes. If we send these letters too soon we often send them for the wrong reasons or say thing we wish we hadn't or forget to say things we wish we had. There is no hurry. I did a letter like this to one of my abusers. It took 6 months but when she got it all she could say was "Yes it's the truth"

My mother sounds a lot like yours. I have come to realize that I don't like her very much. I do wish she was different and that I could have had a loving mother but I had no control over that despite how much I tried to please her. Don't confuse love for a parent with wishing you had a loving parent. In your first post you said if you weren't related you would never see them again. Personally I don't think making the decision to stop seeing an abuser is bad.Some people are really impossible to like. This past year I had an aunt tell me she has discovered after 60 years that my mother is a miserable person. They had lived 1000 miles apart until 5 years ago when my mother moved close to her. Their relationship is so bad now that my aunt is glad my mother has moved away again. My aunt is the most loving person. They are both JWs. My own mother won't talk to me but my aunt refuses to shun me.

Just take care of you and yes find counseling - it can work wonders for you

• unique1
    unique1

Maybe you should try seeing a therapist. Most insurance covers it. I found that it helps to have an unbiased opinion. I was in a similar situation. My husband making my parents and my religion out to be the bad guy and my mother making my husband out to be the bad guy. I was so confused and depressed because I want to please everyone. Going to a therapist was the best thing I ever did. He helped me greatly. He was unbiased. He helped me see who was truthfully on my side and how to handle the negativity being thrown at me. Perphaps the same thing can help you.

I think the card is a great idea as well. A simple card to your parents telling them that you are having a difficult time in your life right now and can't talk to them like you would like to, but that you want them to know that you love them dearly and hope that they feel the same about you. That way if one of them does up and die, they will KNOW that you love them. This will help with the guilt issue a bit and perphaps smooth things over with your sister if you tell her you sent the card.

BEST WISHES.

• obiwan
    obiwan

Kitties, I found after I was df'd that to keep anyone in my life that was less than positive, was a waist of my time. It doesn't matter who they are. Think about where your anchors in life are and build around those. Your feeling guilt for your attitude toward your parents. Personally, I would feel more guilt to those close to you who stand by you and are made to suffer. I am married, and there is no way in hell I would let my father talk down about my wife. When a person becomes an adult, they expect to be treated like one, your parents are still trying to treat you like a child. I've tried to live by one rule, if it's no good, cut it off. It may hurt, but your better off without the constant stress and turmoil.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Kitties and Horses, I think you are taking the first baby steps to separate yourself emotionally from these abusers. Unfortunately, I think your sister is in the abusive category, too. If anybody threatens to break off with me because they insist I reconcile with someone else, I know I am being manipulated. My heart is my own, and I protect it at all costs. I refuse to go along with that kind of coersion. I have too good a life to surround myself with manipulators.

• shamus
    shamus

Kitties,

I could give you advice here, but everyone sumed it up pretty good. One thing that I think that you should consider REALLY HARD is going to see a therapist before you do anything. We are all just people on the internet... whilst everyone here who posted are good people, people who I can vouch for, we are not trained properly in therapy. A therapist can help you do the right thing, and possibly still keep a good relationship with your family. There are too many complicating factors here and I just can't encourage ;you enough to talk toyour husband really quick about it,and make an appointment.

It mayonly take one or two times, but you will be glad that you did it. It may cost you a few hundred bucks, but your happiness is at stake here, nothing else. A few hundred bucks will mean not buying that lawn-chair that you wanted. Big deal. Think about being happy! Being free!

It would bother me if you made a decision without a professional's opinion.

Please keep us posted, and I truly feel for you kitties. I have had nothing like what you're going through happen to me, and Ijust can't imagine how so manyon this board can deal with the pain..... you are all such strong people. So are you, kitty. Become stronger; see someone for professional advice. You will be happy that you did!

• Carmel
    Carmel

You seem to be a capable writer. I'd suggest you sit down and make an outline of the issues you have with your parents. Then quietly and dispassionately write your thoughts and feelings about those issues with the intent of sharing with them exactly how you feel, what you want out of the relationship and what your boundries are. Remember, when you do share it with them, you need to follow through with what ever it is that you asked for and requested. If you need some in-put, find a good confidant and share the draft with them, revise it to make clarifications then just DO IT! You will have taken the first step in stopping the controlling manipulation and blackmail that witness families are famous for. Your own mental health will be preserved.

I wish you well and hope you find peace.

carmel

• Inquiry
    Inquiry

Hey Kitties...

I'm so sorry about what has happened to you... And I understand the "guilt" part very well... My mother was not a JW... but she was abusive...and quite manipulative... Through most of my life, I always thought there was something wrong with me... I just could not, in any way shape or form, find approval in her.... It took a long time.. to figured out it wasn't me.... It was her... she had the problem and I could not resolve that for her.

There's a saying that I think applies here... "You can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family". Because your family is quite toxic to you and yours, it's not too much of a leap to know that having much to do with them is going to hurt. Your already set up to punish yourself, and they will see to it that you do...

Like the other replies you have had here, there really is no reasonable and painless solution to having a relationship with them. But you can have a full and happy life, complete and successful without them. You need to discover the tools that make that possible.

You have the most important one already... a good husband...

Here's some you might consider:

You have the right to be happy!

You have the right to beleive anything or discover God any way you see fit or not, even if it's not the same as your family.

You have the right not to put yourself or your husband in a position of pain, which means you don't have to continue hitting yourself over the head over and over again... They've made the restriction, not you, it's their intolerance, not yours, it's their problem and you need not suffer their consequences...

You can enforce your rights anytime you choose.

Because it's "family" we tend to put ourselves through the ringer for them... but try to look at it objectively... what is your return? What do you get out of it? If it's only pain and guilt and depression, or worse, then why continue? You can set the perameters for their involvement with you at least as well as they set them for you. If they don't like it, what do you lose? Do you lose anything beneficial? I don't think so...

It's funny, my sister thought that our lives were different too... until she developed anxiety disorder and went for therapy... When we talked after that, as we still do, I realized a lot of what happened was just too traumatic for her to deal with, and she simply did not recall a lot of what I remembered. It's the brains way of protecting you.... selective memory....

Now when we talk, and she's not sure about something that happened... she's amazed that I remember the way I do... I was a year older... and it's all still there... hard to forget.... but she remembers enough to put the pieces together with mine, and it starts to make sense to her...

Kitties, my advice and support simply is: If the price you have to pay to have anything to do with your family is pain, depression, going against your husband, and potentially suicide... then my dear, you have to ask yourself, are they worth that price? I can tell you from the outside looking in, that I would say no, not in their present condition. You can fill your life with good friends who are more than enough family, good people, good works, fun, pleasure and quality, all the things you hope for. You can live a real life, and you don't have to pretend for people who just do not accept the realities in their own lives, let alone yours.

I'm not saying it will be easy, but it looks a whole lot better than trying to hang on to something that can kill you. Try letting it go, and see what happens... you might be very pleasantly surprised.

I hope it all goes well for you..

Best wishes Kitties... you deserve them...

Inq

edited to change a coupla commments... (I can go on so...)

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

((((((((((kitties)))))))))))

First let me say it was a pleasure to meet you and hubby in Seattle! My first impression of you was how "together" you are, so young an so much ahead of you and especially free from the B'org! You are really a cute couple, Craig and I hope we can see more of you two. My impression of you was totally different from how you must feel due to the manipulations of your family. Girl you are strong and it shows even if you don't always see it!

LadyLee and Scully (and everyone else) gave you some really good advise I hope you take it to heart and it gives you some new direction in your life in how to handle your family.

I have a book I would like to send you as I have no need for it any longer. It's "Toxic Parents, Overcoming Their Hurtful Legacy and Reclaiming Your Life", by Dr. Susan Forward.

Please PM me and we can make arrangements for me to send you the book if you are interested. Hang in there, it's a long way from here to recovery but it is so worth the effort!

KateVisit Smiley Central!

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I love the proactive way you handled your anger! Next time you get angry would you come and clean my house?

Seriously, though, Kitties, I am so sorry your parents are like that. I think a letter to them is an EXCELLENT idea and, when you are satisfied with the content, send copies to your siblings too. That way your parents can't misrepresent the contents of the letter to them, and they can make up their own minds how to treat you. A letter will help you take control of yourself and place the anger where it belongs -- on your parents. You didn't deserve the treatment you received as a child, and you don't deserve it now.

Please give that little girl inside of you a great big hug from me. I think she was very brave to survive all that bad treatment, and I hope you will give her a present and a hug too.

Lots of love,

Nina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit