The Sanitizing of David

by Doug Mason 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Regarding Bathsheba it is my opinion that she provided the story for her own purposes and for her son's. That she was performing the ceremony for menstruating and that her husband was absent and then killed, proved that Solomon was indeed David's.

By some means she managed to get her son on the throne, and so started the cleansing of David -- for Solomon's and Bathsheba's sakes. Of course this process of sanitizing David lay in the political interest of their successors, and we need to be conscious that much of what we read is subsequent political propaganda put out by the "House of David", and these later layers should be laid aside, if possible.

The situation changed when the Davidic monarchy ceased (despite 2 Samuel 7). Post-monarchic Deutero-Isaiah ignored the Davidides, while the Chronicler revived the manipulated history of David.

The other matter to keep in mind is that when Psalms of Solomon introduced the Davidic Messiah ("Son of David"), this Messiah would be a violent fighting warrior who would remove the Roman oppressors.

The NT writers were equally inventive.

Yes, it would be an interesting exercise to trace the sanitizing of God (YHWH)),

Doug

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, the sanitizing of David was one of the top ten questions that made me wonder who really wrote the bible and why David got special treatment, I don't remember the clause in the ten commandments where being "merciful to others" was a escape for adulterers under the law code. "David and Bath-sheba were accountable to Jehovah God for their wrongdoing. Though they could have been put to death for their sins, God had mercy on them. Especially was he merciful to David because of the Kingdom covenant." So why did not god have mercy on David and Bathsheba as he could have for other adulterers in the national of Israel. Besides which David had committed murder deliberately sending Bathsheba's husband to the front of the battle almost ensuring the husband would die.????

• Smiles
    Smiles

Notice how WT changed the wording of Ps 51:4 in their grey abomination...

"Against you—you above all*—I have sinned"

*Footnote: Literally, “only you.”

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit