Thankfully not many publishers remind " me" of Troy.

by The Rebel 8 Replies latest jw friends

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

I took my son to the Watford football club family day,-and the highlight- Troy Deeney. He stayed until every last item was signed and every selfie was taken. We left way after the end of the event and he left after us. He is the embodiment of everything my football club used to be about. I spoke to some of the stewards and they were saying Troy is the most down to earth person you could meet- what a contrast to the rest of the team who looked bored and left leaving many kids with unsigned shirts and selfies.

Anyway Troy kind of reminded me of me, when I was a witness, I was full of enthusiasm on the ministry and sadly highly successful. However most of the congregation were like the rest of the Watford players, they couldn't be bothered on the ministry.

How were you on the ministry, zelouse or lazy? Did you have any zelouse and successful publishers? I am sure that the large % of witnesses can't be bothered on the ministry, and this is why I was not surprised to discover no outsiders have been bought in to the congregation since I left.

The Rebel :- whose advice is be zelouse for something you love and that is worthwhile.

• cofty
    cofty
    How were you on the ministry, zelouse or lazy?

I actually believed armageddon was coming and that non-JWs would die. I thought it was a life-saving work so I was a zealous pioneer. When I worked out that it wasn't true I left.

I don't understand apathetic JWs. They of "all men are most to be pitied".

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I was quite zealous for it, auxiliary pioneered and made over 10 hours per month, I was also commended how effective I was in conversation starting as I used to prepare for it with the Reasoning book, it was very short lived though, I probably had a peak of a about 4/5 years as a zealous jw quite close to being a MS as well, the fade started very close to the end of those few years of real zealousness and it all started to crumble away, FS would start with lunch and end without so much as a door being banged on, the CBS was dumped so was meeting attendance, an adult with ADD would never have lasted much longer as I can testify to. I'll try and compare to footballer to my jw career, perhaps a player that peaked early and retired early due to a career ending injury?

• Duncan
    Duncan

Hello The rebel

Another Watford resident! Excellent!

You probably walked/drove right by my house to get to the Watford Open day. I live right nearby.

I didn't go this year, but could hear everything over the PA system.

Troy Deeney is an excellent example of a committed club man - the way he plays, and the way he conducts himself off the pitch too.

Duncan

• jambon1
    jambon1

Was enthusiastic for a fair spell but never ever really believed that God would kill everyone.

Not born in though which makes all the difference I think.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

How were you on the ministry, zelouse or lazy? Did you have any zelouse and successful publishers? I am sure that the large % of witnesses can't be bothered on the ministry, and this is why I was not surprised to discover no outsiders have been bought in to the congregation since I left.

I think that because I was born with that organization shoved down my throat, I became both very zealous and dedicated. After all I had no other way of knowing life and as children we always manage to find a way of doing what children are supposed to do.

Later as an adolescent was when i started noticing people slacking. I naively thought that every person was supposed to be as enthusiastic and devoted as I was. That started giving me ideas and I started being less into it. From that point all the way to my fade, I started becoming more and more disinterested, although I was always very, very good at preaching. I actually liked going to talk to people (maybe because that was the only real contact with the outside world I had). Sadly, I was never encouraged or praised for my good skills or devotion.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Looking forward to Saints playing Watford this weekend - may the best team win (Saints!!!!).

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I wouldn't describe myself as zealous or lazy. I pioneered I thought that's what was expected. I didn't feel I had to like it. I met the requirements. As a publisher I was regular. As a kid in high school I went out in field service after school. I witnessed at school and my work place and a few came to the hall but not many.

• Gulf Coaster
    Gulf Coaster

I was dragged into the cult by my mother, when I was 9, after she got roped in by two nice little old ladies at the door one day. I hated every minute of going door to door because I was painfully shy. I lived in terror of coming across someone I knew from school because I'd get bullied. I never advertised I was a JW, I didn't want anyone to know and I tried to live a double-life as best as I could, until I could finally escape. My memories of the others in service was that the vast majority of them were lazy, including my mother who was a feral, uber-dub in every other way. There were only a few zealous ones, so I tried to get in with the lazy ones so that I would end up at fewer doors and longer breaks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit