Simplified study watchtower

by Saltheart Foamfollower 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Saltheart Foamfollower
    Saltheart Foamfollower

There seems to be some confusion over what is happening with the study edition of the watchtower - I notice it isn't mentioned in the letter to be read out. If, as seems likely, it is going to be dumbed down even further then I think this could be the first step to shortening the watchtower study (to 30 mins?) - it is the only meeting not to have been reduced in recent years. I am a bit surprised they haven't decided to include the monthly workbook as part of the study edition watchtower to save on printing - maybe next year.

SF

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

The following was a comment, made via attendees listening to the talk, regarding the study watchtower:

Changes to the STUDY EDITION to the WT, to simplify the style of the standard edition. Allows for a larger font style. The GB decided, as of January 1, 2019, they are combining their editions (so no more printed simplified and standard editions).

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5134799058501632/_post/5633261487259648

Combining the Study WT and the CLAM Workbook would be an interesting idea - but it would appear to leave very little room for any 'important' non-study articles on topics the WT want the rank and file to know.

It would also be based on the assumption that people either use their tablets for both, or neither, and that they fall into two discinct groups with little overlap - ie rather than lots using the hard copy Workbook, but then most use WT on tablet.

Both the Study WT and CLAM Workbook are effectively internal publications and, in contrast to the old Kingdom Ministry', the WT is much, much freer on basically anybody attending the KH getting a copy of the Workbook.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

The Spanish edition of the study was turned into a single edition a while back. This uses simplified language. This same approach is being implemented with the English language version.

The reasons?

Firstly there is only one document to produce. Less cost.

Secondly it means that ideas are presented in a way that can be easily assimilated. You'd think that simplification would fail to satisfy those with some intellectual capacity but I think the evidence is that people like having this stuff on a plate. Those who wish to have a pseudo intellectual toss off session over things when answering, having private conversations or posting on jwtalk can still do so.

Thirdly it paves the way for a future reduction in the meeting length and/or merging with the CLAM workbook.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

konceptual99: The Spanish edition of the study was turned into a single edition a while back.

Oh yeah, I forgot that

Here's the discussion / letter:

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5451540896677888/december-28-2016-boe-re-one-study-edition-watchtower-languages-other-english

• Saltheart Foamfollower
    Saltheart Foamfollower

Thanks konceptual99 - good to see Spanish leading the way (or taking the lead!)

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

I would speculate that is not just because the Spanish field is where they have had significant growth over the past few years but that this growth has been especially in poorer, less highly educated communities that still have a relatively high proportion of religious adherents. I don't think it's coincidence that they wanted to simplify the text for this audience.

• stillin
    stillin

How wise of the GB! I am only semi-literate, so words that have too many syllables throw my concentration off. Speaking of concentration, my attention span is about maxed out at ten minutes, so if we could shorten things a little, it would help.

• tiki
    tiki

Dumb it down further??? They are at 1st grade level as is...from what I gather....how can people with functioning brains tolerate it???

• freddo
    freddo

SF said ... I think this could be the first step to shortening the watchtower study (to 30 mins?) ...

Oh please God, yes!

• jp1692
    jp1692

So they want to further "simplify" their already ridiculously simple publications!

WT publications such as the The NEW "Bible Teach" book are already at a 5th grade level. They have been deliberately aiming at 11 year old children--or at least people with that reading level. This is a full three grade levels below the average reading ability of the general public and now they want to go even lower. Unbelievable!

The WTBTS is deliberately targeting people with limited reading ability and/or limited intelligence. I guess they now know who will fall for their incoherent, nonsense religion.

It's been suggested that maybe the WT leadership thinks that people aren't smart enough to understand "the truth." The problem is not that their beliefs or doctrines are hard to understand, it's that they don't make sense!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit