Prayer BANNED for Public Talks in KH's...

by The Fall Guy 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

........back in 1949!

w50 3/15 p. 96 Letters - "Jesus held many public lectures, but there is no record that he opened or closed any of them with prayer....Surely those of the public who are not of the Christian faith do not turn out to our meetings in order to join with us in prayer to our God, but solely to hear the speech which is the drawing feature. So we give them that and do not think to impose upon them by attaching something else to the lecture which might offend or stumble them before they hear the speech they came for."

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

That rule held for many, many years.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Thought I heard it all

• Room 215
    Room 215
    Makes sense, if you're really, truly welcoming the public to an open forum. These days, the Sunday lectures are really nothing more than talks pitched to the initiated, laced with theocratic jargon that will have the non-JW scratching his/her head.
  • newsheep
    newsheep

Unbelievable! Wish there were more posts like this posted. It's posts like these that will make the jws want to do more research. It did us and we know for a certainty there are others that are in doing the same.

Thanks Fall Guy for your research and hard work. Hopefully others will do the same.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Newsheep here is a site that documents the racial bias of the early WTBTS from their own publications.

https://www.watchtowerlies.com/racism_in_watchtower_publications.html

• baldeagle
    baldeagle

Learn something new every day. I just looked it up on the 2014 WT Library CD and there it was March 15, 1950.

• tiki
    tiki

I do recall those meetings...then after the talk there was an intermission...then song and prayer to start the wt study.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

'Jesus held many public lectures...'

Their anachronistic wording will never fail to crack me up. Did he hand out fliers?

• St George of England
    St George of England

Song and prayer at start of talk reintroduced 1971/2.

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit