questions about 1975 and other dates

by Leander 29 Replies latest jw friends

• izobcenec
    izobcenec

Actually there was some kind of an apology...

In modern times such eagerness, commendable in itself, has led to attempts at setting dates for the desired liberation from the suffering and troubles that are the lot of persons throughout the earth. With the appearance of the book Life Everlasting—in Freedom of the Sons of God, and its comments as to how appropriate it would be for the millennial reign of Christ to parallel the seventh millennium of man’s existence, considerable expectation was aroused regarding the year 1975. There were statements made then, and thereafter, stressing that this was only a possibility. Unfortunately, however, along with such cautionary information, there were other statements published that implied that such realization of hopes by that year was more of a probability than a mere possibility. It is to be regretted that these latter statements apparently overshadowed the cautionary ones and contributed to a buildup of the expectation already initiated.

In its issue of July 15, 1976, The Watchtower, commenting on the inadvisability of setting our sights on a certain date, stated: “If anyone has been disappointed through not following this line of thought, he should now concentrate on adjusting his viewpoint, seeing that it was not the word of God that failed or deceived him and brought disappointment, but that his own understanding was based on wrong premises.” In saying “anyone,” The Watchtower included all disappointed ones of Jehovah’s Witnesses, hence including persons having to do with the publication of the information that contributed to the buildup of hopes centered on that date.

Watchtower 3/15/1980, pg.17

• garybuss
    garybuss

Thanks Izo, That quote satisfied more than a few Witnesses. One Witness sent me a photocopy of that Watchtower magazine page and indicated it was enough for him. For a Real Witness, little will do just fine. GaryB

• avengers
    avengers
    have admitted their error and have, in their opinions, made amends satisfactorily.

This evidence I would like to see.

"his own understanding was based on wrong premises.”
    The Watchtower included all disappointed ones of Jehovah’s Witnesses, hence including persons having to do with the publication of the information that contributed to the buildup of hopes centered on that date.

In other words everyone who has affiliation with 1975 is wrong and it's his own fault. That's no apology.

I fell for it in those days, but it's just a really keen way to get everyone in line again. How did they resolve the UN issue?
    Also by sneaky dirty and rotten ways to deceive the R & F. Make no mistake! The Watchtower knows what it's doing.

I can't seem to read here that they are saying that they are wrong. You're saying that they are saying that they published wrong information.

They're saying that anyone who believed in 1975 did so on his own understanding and was based on wrong premises.

Actually it was so before 1975 that if you didn't believe about 1975 you were spiritually weak. Now they say if you did believe you're spiritually weak.

An apology is when you go up to someone and say: "Hey man I'm sorry." Have you ever heard those words from them? I really would like to see it.

.....Andy

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

I gave my grey haired disfellowshipped mama a copy of the Fred Franz speech delivered in Sydney in Feb 75. The speech about the "Eve delay" in armaggedons scheduled arrival. She called me after listening to it and we talked about if for about 3 hours. Shed been under the impression the society never said anything to definite about 75, but the tape sort of jogged her memory a bit.

My mama is a hard bitten Org hater now....She ANGRY.

Shame huh?

• avengers
    avengers

RF.

How did you get her to listen? As soon as I open my mouth it's: "We don't want to hear".
    I've actually seen brothers and sisters cover their ears so as not to hear what you have to say.

lol......Andy.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Andy. You have to plan long term. You cant get someone out who isnt ready to leave of their own accord. You just feed them little bits, here and there,stopping when theyve had enough and planting seed.Maybe after ten years of sowing something catches and theyre ready to really listen.

• berten
    berten

In case this is not posted already:

http://www.escapethewatchtower.com/Stay_alive_till_75.htm

On this page you will find some *.wav-files (Scroll to the bottom o/t page.)

with fragments of a talk given in 1967 by Circuit Overseer Charles Sunutko on the year 1975...

• core
    core

For those of us who lived through from the sixties until after 1975 we know that not mere hints were given -

In one year leading up to 1975 Circuit Oversser had a special Saturday evening mtg with just cong members (from an outline) to go through the chronology.

No one in the audience was given achoice - this was "received truth" "absoutley correct" "undisputable" - sadly we swallowed that crap

Many I know personally made great sacrifices of themselves and family and they have suffered as a consequence. ANy apologist for the WT and 1975 is either clinically mad, a liar, or deceived beyond hope of reclaim. Those who lived through the period know of the fervour etc whipped up - we did not invent this ourselves or become over excited.

• JT
    JT
    Their children who quit attending meetings and quit service and got disfellowshipped or decided to announce disassociation, were always dispensable to the long time Witness parents. They were always feeling, deep down, a sort of disloyalty to the Society for having the children in the first place. The Society was right, in their minds, this was not the time to have children. Look how they turned out. If we lived in ancient Israel, we would kill them and we would cast the first stone. They are easy for the parents to shun.

The phone sets on the hall table. The mother sits and rocks while the high school picture is still on the same shelf. She never looks at it. The father has the TV on with the sound off, a half a beer on the table, while he reads the Watchtower for tomorrow's meeting. No thoughts, no feelings for unfaithful adult children.

Damn- this is deeeeeeeeep

so true indeed for so many oldtimers

• one
    one

Freddy was the WT chronologist and oracle.who live until around 1991, how could he?

He proved to be 'different' in many ways.

Knor the previous WT president droped dead right after the 1975 fiasco.

Same for Russel with the 1914 fiasco, he died in 1916.

Apology? what apology?

As an institution they didn't, the indivicual responsible for 'publishing' the crap didn't.

The WT institution did not even mention their names ! is that a real apology?

What more what have they done to compensate the damages?

did they provide any PRACTIAL advise at least?.no, just more of the same 'spiritual' rethoric.

Man, at least Jesus.provided some fish for the multitude that got hungry after listening to him.

20th century jw went hungry and broke after listening to the wt for so long.

To this very same day i see ex=pioneers staying alive thanks to gov and APOSTATE help, some were cong financial pilars who 'gave everthing away' to serve where....

When history is not properly teached it repeats itself.

But the web is good history teaching tool available to many. I can read see and listen to stuff, such as Freddy speech, without moving my ...

Do jw families still take their cassette recorders to D conventions?

If not, why not?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit