What is Gas Lighting?

by AllTimeJeff 18 Replies latest members politics

• Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

Gaslight is a movie from the 1940's with Ingrid Bergman, her husband tries to convince her that she's slowly losing her mind.

Story revolves around the Ingrid Bergman [Paula] marrying Charles Boyer. He only married her to be close enough to search for Paula's aunts jewels. Interestingly, the husband had killed the aunt, years earlier, to facilitate stealing the jewels. His plan had failed. But not he is married to the niece and somewhere in the house are the jewels. He disappears at night and makes his way into the attic through the roof. When he turns on the gaslight, no electricity in the era of the films story, the lights dim in the rooms below. Paula mentions this to her husband and he says she is imagining things. The mind manipulation continues throughout the movie until he is exposed by a policeman [ Joseph Cotton]. Excellent acting by all.

Now, a creative mind could see how many of the moves of the Watchtower is similar to gaslighting. Making statements that later are changed. Doctrines that are rigidly taught only to be cast aside and treated as apostate lies later. A thinking person would imagine that they are loosing their minds if they took seriously everything the Society has said in its short history.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Hi Jeff!!

We have a master GasLighter in the White House now

• careful
    careful

When I first saw the post, I thought, "Well, I never read that book. I'll have to wait for the movie to come out." Then ShirleyW, EQV, and darkspilver set both ATJ and I straight! Thanks.

OGTG: funny!! I remember when Fred Franz did just that over 1975, blame the sheep when he himself was the source.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

What is Gas Lighting?

Really Bad Gas... +................. Bic Lighter =..

Image result for stomach ache man.Image result for bic lighter flame

.................................................................................................................

..............GAS LIGHTING...........

Image result for lighting fart on fire

• smiddy
    smiddy

Outlaw is that what they call the ring of fire ?

sorry Jeff

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I am familiar with the concept. Can someone explain what the point of this thread is?

The statements in the WT about 1975, blaming it on ordinary JWs, are a good example.

It had occurred to me over the past couple of weeks that Trump is gaslighting America. One week: "the intelligence community behave like Nazis". Next week: "I am the biggest supporter of the intelligence community".

But I don't know if that's the point being made here.

It could be to do with something that happened on the forum instead that I haven't read.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I haven't figured out if WT are gaslighting in full awareness of the fact that they are gaslighting or if they're just delusional themselves, the performance of GJackson at the ARC a good example of an attempt to gaslight the commission but he just came off looking like an arrogant idiot instead of gaslighter extrordinaire.

• Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

slimboyfat

I am familiar with the concept. Can someone explain what the point of this thread is?

Why must everything have a point? We are just throwing ideas and comments back and forth. Scratching in the dust searching for little pieces of the puzzle to try to make sense of the big picture. Everyone's picture looks a little different.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Jeff's further comment indicated he was making a specific point in relation to people who have left JWs not learning to recognise gaslighting. I am sure the point he was making seemed obvious to Jeff, but it's competely obscure to me, so I was inviting him to share it.

I would like to think that former JW's who woke up and left would be able to clearly identify gas lighting when it happens.
    Alas, those who do seem to be in the minority.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit