Evil Bible

by Simon 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters
    This is great, all of these links! And Village Idiot, bravo!
  • David_Jay
    David_Jay

Of course, this page is just talking about Christians and their use of the Bible.

Including the New Testament (except for Luke and Acts), the Bible was written by Jews. Why not go after the Jews? They wrote it. That's where all the trouble started. If the Bible is evil, then so are the Jews and Jewish thought. It's all their fault. If there is someone to blame for the evils of the Bible and all that has been visited upon the world of humanity for its application, it's the Jews, am I right?

It's not the Christians' fault. Gentiles didn't come up with concept of YHWH or a "Messiah" (which is a Jewish concept). It's those pesky Jews, right?

Of course, I'm of Jewish ancestry and all my family are Jews. Maybe you should go after me and call me and my family and the products of our culture evil.

No, I'm not advocating religion (I've had my fill of mean church pastors, child-abusing clergy and rabbis, and self-serving church members), but I am saying that we need to be careful and logical about approaches to support particular conclusions. We may believe the Bible false and have no love for religion, but the Bible isn't a product of the Gentile or non-Jewish world.

With just a minor correction and removing the blame from the Christians over to the actual culture that produced the Bible, very few people would be willing to applaud and promote a site that calls what the Jews do and what their culture produced as "evil." All the reasonable arguments therein would be lost by such a presentation. Besides, most Jews and Christians have a very advanced critical view of Scripture, and some of these views on the site are overly simplified Fundamentalist arguments. Atheists need to be able to run (and can run) at the same academic standard the majority of Bible believers do.

And yes, as the release of The Annotated Jewish New Testament (NRSV) demonstrates, many Jews around the world have begun a movement that, while not accepting the doctrinal conclusions, is attempting to reclaim the NT writings as a product of Jewish culture. So is the blame properly directed? Is it merely a doctrinal issue? Is it just Christians? It isn't, is it? If you're gonna blame someone about the Bible, you cannot stop at those who merely read it.

For all the applause a site like this might deserve, I think atheists are capable of (and many are) arguing points presented from the likes of scholars who produce such things as published by Oxford Press and Loyola and other mainstream Bible publishers who produce critical editions of Scripture translations. Those are where the real arguments should be directed, and not merely at those views which are considered backwards by Christendom itself.

Again, I think it is great that we who choose to be atheists are able to freely express such thoughts today, but let us be accurate in our information, think things through, and test whether the simple replacing of adjectives and other descriptive terms wouldn't equally be thought of as a "hate piece." Logic goes hand-in-hand with reasonableness, tolerance, and scholarly academia.

• cofty
    cofty
    If there is someone to blame for the evils of the Bible and all that has been visited upon the world of humanity for its application, it's the Jews, am I right?

Yes

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Reminds me of a quote I once read by a poster here on the forum:

"I am no longer a believer BECAUSE I have read the bible thoroughly"

• Perry
    Perry

I have never researched any accusation made against the bible and found it to hold water. In fact many people have become real Christians just by studying atheist accusations. Part 1, Part 2, Part 3.

I highly encourage it.

Here's a critique of "evil bible".

Also, the field of apologetics is dedicated to examining "problem" areas that some are troubled by. Mostly, people are troubled by a great many things except their sin before a just, holy and righteous God who will judge people AFTER they die. Regardless of the outcome of that judgement, not one of us here will ever be able to stop being conscious....ever. It is part of our fallen nature to simply excuse ourselves rather than look to a Savior who deals with the problem of sin at the systemic level.

I have personally found CARM and Christian Think Tank to be very helpful. However, these are just web based ministries. Many bible colleges provide more in depth investigation into atheist claims.

Great claims by atheists require great proof.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Perry you need to wake man, just read about all the Bible prophecies that didn't come true then try to still be a believer. Also the sayings of Christ telling some of his followers he would return before some of them died. Not to metion the congregation in Revelations he says to hold fast until he returns. This congregation no longer exists. Another problem is he says 5 times in the last chapter of the Bible he will be back so soon. Really, when someone gains knowledge yet still believes he is just delusional, or insane there is no other explanation.
  • smiddy
    smiddy

It has been over 6000 years according to the Bible of mans creation .the first 4000 years GOD has supposedly dealt with humans by Angels , one on one in a couple of instances , dreams ,prophets , etc.

The last 2000 years he has been completely silent.

I think he`s dead

He`s certainly past his used by date.

smiddy

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5
    I smashed "dislike" so hard when I read that dribble Perry. Felt good.
  • Zoos
    Zoos
    Variation:
    Perry - I have never researched any accusation made against the [Watchtower organization] and found it to hold water. In fact many people have become [Jehovah's Witnesses] just by studying [opposers] accusations.

The mind sees what it wants to see.
  • Perry
    Perry
    The mind sees what it wants to see.

Yes it does. And what we "see" determines what we sow.

We will not only reap what we sow, but we will daily eat of that which we have previously sown.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit