PS. 105:15 Anointed...

by tor1500 10 Replies latest jw friends

• tor1500
    tor1500

Hi All,

This week Bible reading is Ps.102-105. I noticed in PS 105:15: Saying, “Do not touch my anointed ones,And to my prophets do nothing bad.". So are these part of the 144,000? I thought the beginning of the anointed was at Pent. 33 CE. Am I wrong ?

The whole 144,000 thing is really nuts...first of all aren't they are not supposed to be not defiled by women....Rev. 14:4:These are the ones who did not defile themselves with women; in fact, they are virgins.+ These are the ones who keep following the Lamb no matter where he goes.+ These were bought+ from among mankind as firstfruits+ to God and to the Lamb.

Any thoughts ?

Tor

• blondie
    blondie

At that time, the Jews were considered by the bible to be God's chosen people. The WTS teaches that the jews had first opportunity to make up all those to rule in heaven with Christ but not enough jews wanted it. So then to the Gentiles the offer was made. The early Christians or Jewish had no idea that there would be only 144,000 since that number was written in a book by John, one of the 12 apostles around 100 A.D. There are many winding doctrines about this by the WTS.

• Simon
    Simon

There's also the clear assumption that they are all men. Back then they wouldn't have imagined the notion that one day society would rightly view women as equal.

Does the WTS say that the anointed are all men? Because the Bible clearly does ...

• Saename
    Saename
    blondie - The early Christians or Jewish had no idea that there would be only 144,000 since that number was written in a book by John, one of the 12 apostles around 100 A.D

I don't think Jesus' apostles were alive by 100 CE

• Stealth
    Stealth
    "These were bought+ from among mankind as firstfruits+ to God and to the Lamb."

If the current batch of governing body members are the firstfruits to god, then god really sucks bigly!

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Literally every description of the 144,000 is taken by JWs to be figurative, except for the number. A number that, in context is clearly figurative - it is 12,000 from each of the 12 tribes of isreal and since their coming out of isreal is taken to be figurative then the number of tribes they are taken from is figurative so the total number must also be figurative. Furthermore, essentially every number in the book of revelation is considered to have some figurative/symbolic meaning. 10 is "earthly completeness" 7 "godly completeness" 6 is falling short of godliness, etc etc. Why is this number different?

I've never heard any JW give anything resembling a reasonable defense of 144,000 being literal.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Why would ps 105 be anything to do with the 144,000? Isn't there any other meaning to "anointed ones" you can think of especially in view of the context of ps 105?

And you're right about the whole 144k thing being nuts, but don't stop there, there's plenty more nutty things just waiting for you to discover in the bible.

• tor1500
    tor1500

Hi All,

Great feed back. It's just when I saw the word anointed, it triggered 144,000 thing. It could be literal or figurative, who the heck knows....but it's not the # so much is that they are not defiled by women. What the heck, so having sex with a woman is defiling....since when? I know what the society says, this does not mean that but that they are blah blah blah...makes no sense.

So many things in the bible don't make sense, but that really doesn't matter to me....What I have learned is that to be kind to folks, well to be honest, I knew that before I became a witness...that's another story...

I think that most folks that read the bible, just don't understand why God killed women, children, cats, dogs, etc. How could a loving God do this type of thing. & Since Jesus has been ruling since 1914 or is it 1919, whatever, what has he been doing ? Guess what? The org. wants to know too. That's why they TRY to answer the question, they are wondering too. Otherwise why ask? As they say, We must wait on Jehovah. & we keep waiting & waiting & waiting....

I love this site, it's makes you feel that you are not crazy....or spiritually weak. I notice at times when I may share something with one of the friends regarding the orgs. writings & they see something and can't explain it...it's almost like they short circuit....they don't see anything different from the orgs. writing and the bible...SAD.

I don't find the bible to be too nuts, just the way man interprets it.....

Tor

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I have no doubt that the societies teaching about the 144000 being a literal number will change soon.....

Also yes! Someone made reference to the "not being defiled by women" verse! That was something that as a kid messed with my mind. So sex was "defiling" was it? It was not something anointed should engage in??

The illogicality of the society teachings just fall apart!

• blondie
    blondie

saename, those are not my ideas or opinions, merely reporting what the WTS teaches, i.e., that John one of the 12 was alive in 100 A.D. to write Revelation.

Blondie

Reporting not supporting (Clue: I say "the WTS teaches")

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit