A baffling physics question

by FatFreek 2005 25 Replies latest social current

• nelim
    nelim

Cofty, actually no. Steam is 100 degrees C, and this drink probably never was. It's just water vapour.

• cofty
    cofty
    This is just enough time where the liquid begins to bubble along the top edge. - from the OP

When liquid bubbles it is beginning to boil and is giving off steam.

• Simon
    Simon
    Steam is 100 degrees C

That actually depends on whether it's pure water (it isn't) and what altitude you're at (so what the pressure is).

Here in Calgary, about 3,500 ft about sea-level, water boils at about 96.

• jp1692
    jp1692

Water need not boil to evaporate.

This not a physics problem per se as much as it is one of measurement.

Check out this website:

Measurement Uncertainty, Accuracy, and Precision

https://opentextbc.ca/chemistry/chapter/measurement-uncertainty-accuracy-and-precision/

• blondie
    blondie

After years in Weight Watchers and weighing my food, I learned I had to check the accuracy of the scale.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I'm guessing evaporation is the issue you asked about originally but more importantly, have you read the ingredients in Hershey's Syrup?

• HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP. made from corn syrup by converting the dextrose (another sugar) into fructose, which is sweeter..
    • WATER.
    • COCOA* Also known as cocoa powder. ...
    • CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: POTASSIUM SORBATE, PRESERVATIVE. also know as sorbic acid potassium salt.
    • MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES vegetable, synthetic, or animal (cow- or hog-derived). Used to blend ingredients such as oil and water.
    • XANTHAN GUM. ...also known as corn sugar gum.
    • POLYSORBATE 60. ...Typically a composite of animal, vegetable, and synthetic substances that allows oil and water to stay mixed together.
    • VANILLIN, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR * made from potash and dimethyl sulfate:

At the risk of raining on your parade, it's loaded with high fructose corn syrup....terrible for inflaming and roughening the interior of your arteries and causing them to collect the cholesterol in your blood, rather than letting it pass by and be filtered out. Between the lactose in the milk, and the high fructose corn syrup, not to mention, the caffeine in the chocolate, I don't know how you can possibly sleep.

If you're hell bent on drinking this stuff, there is a new version that uses pure cane sugar rather instead of the High Fructose Corn Syrup. - Pete Zahut

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit