I have never been to Las Vegas.

by Iamallcool 25 Replies latest jw friends

• LV101
    LV101

Honestly, when you live here in LV you don't even pay attention to the strip and all the fake - never see the strip unless I'm crossing over to the east side of town which is very seldom. I think it's one of the fastest growing cities around and real estate values increasing daily. Cost of living is one of the highest -- no state taxes but higher DMV fees - this that the other and people complain. Unfortunately, landlords are raising rents so high many young families are leaving LV - they're heart broken and do not want to leave LV. They're unable to find a place to rent or affordable housing. There's an influx of Californians fleeing here.

The weather is amazing except for summer months. People that grew up here and live elsewhere all miss the LV summer nights. The fall, winter and spring time is gorgeous. Clear sunny days most of the time - (only rains about 6-7 times a yr) and a crispness in the air. Beautiful sunsets and mountain ranges surrounding the valley.

Before the 8 yr. Great Recession LV had more 5-star restaurants than any other place on planet earth. Renown chefs from around the world are here and it was #2 for shopping behind Rome, Italy.

The state university now has not only the legal school but medical/dental - has had the Ford Engineering and hotel management for several yrs.

Have never gambled but have many friends who bet on sports. I do see the strip for dinners/socials which are avoided during busy times as much as possible.

Home of Area 51 and the Air Force Thunderbirds -- and another military base besides Nellis - Creech, I think (drones).

• LV101
    LV101

I was just told very few (over all) leaving the LV area - some people were never called back to jobs that paid very well. There's an influx of people moving here from all over - not just California.

We have one of the best airports in the country for flights almost anywhere. The area has hiking, (Red Rock), fishing, water skiing, boating (Lake Mead), snow-skiing, Mt. Charleston, and Park City, Utah, and Mammoth, California, just a hop away.

I think the desert is beautiful -- if only the saguaros grew here like they do in Arizona.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

LV101, I've always wondered whether the LV in your name was for Las Vegas.

Now I know!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Greaty - I liked the way people's hair stood on end as they leant over the railing at the falls.

• LV101
    LV101

GreatTeacher -- Yes! I'm a California girl and love the ocean blue (so cal) and have certainly missed it during most of this covid horror. I don't like what's going on in my beloved San Francisco or parts of so cal - oh my! I even love aspects of central cali like the Basque restaurants, Dewars (was our soda fountain yrs. ago - I think they're even at Disneyland now and ship candy all over the world).

I do love the desert and the great restaurants here.

• fastJehu
    fastJehu

I'm from Germany and was 2 times in Las Vegas. Go for it.

I have never regretted my stays there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit