Attending the 2017 Memorial

by Disassociated Lady 2 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• Disassociated Lady 2
    Disassociated Lady 2

After contemplating whether or not to attend the Memorial this year I finally went. This time last year I had been reinstated and within weeks the Elders summoned me to the KH to interrogate me about my past and place of residence. I was angry with them and lost my temper and stood up to them. I never entered that place again and because I refused to attend their Judicial Committee meeting they disfellowshipped me.

When I attended the Memorial, I went to the KH my parents took me to as a child when we were on vacation. It was a two hour drive but I would rather do that than return to the local one. The elders there remember my family and I received a warm welcome from them and they offered their condolences about my Dad who has been dead nearly 2 years now. One of the brothers there I knew through childhood and teenage years and he talks to me as he doesn't agree with the shunning. None of them looked at me like I was something on the bottom of their shoe which made a welcome change.

I do acknowledge that all JWs are taught the same rules but not all of them go about it in a harsh way.

I am sure the local ones will get to hear about it and realize that I would rather drive 2 hours than be in their presence again. :-) xxx

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Glad you had a good time, but I am pretty sure they were nice to you because they did not know you are DFed.

• waton
    waton

Each Congregation has a constant battle going on for dominance. You are not local, so they are all fawning over you, potentially as part of their personal power base. Once you would settle there, and not fully support their rule, you will get the "bottom of the sole of your shoes " treatment/look , (that stepped into something) there too.

Do not take it personally, that is how wt operates on local level.

• steve2
    steve2

Some people are just decent and kind - and when the environment enables those qualities, they come through - and it's a really nice experience.

Sometimes more decent and kinder JWs are freer to express their qualities when the environment is not primed to punish. Looks like the extra distance was worth it for you because the local congregation leaves little room for human decency and kindness - and anyone in the local congregation who might otherwise have those qualities would not feel so free to show them to you. But your old "home" congregation farther away is not a punishing environment towards you. Long may that continue.

Outside the organization or in it, behaviour can become terribly "political". 😔

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It was a two hour drive but I would rather do that than return to the local one.

You may have wasted a two hour drive .......maybe ?

Its been accepted by many that the JWS Memorial is also a miscued fraud of a service based upon the fact that according to bible scripture, everyone who wishes to be approved by Jesus in their devotion to him as a Christian is to partake of the emblems, not just and only the anointed 144,000.

Perhaps something to think about next year.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Sorry I don't remember your story or the background to this but you say you've been disfellowshipped twice by this cult? Why do you want to go back? Your dad's not there anymore.

• Disassociated Lady 2
    Disassociated Lady 2

ttdtt

ttdtt an hour ago

Glad you had a good time, but I am pretty sure they were nice to you because they did not know you are DFed.

They do know. the elders at my local one said they were going to contact every KH that I have been to and let them know. :-/ x

• Disassociated Lady 2
    Disassociated Lady 2

Xanthippe

Xanthippe 38 minutes ago

Sorry I don't remember your story or the background to this but you say you've been disfellowshipped twice by this cult? Why do you want to go back? Your dad's not there anymore.

Something about it makes me feel closer to him... I often wonder if he is in a "spirit world" and knows the truth of it all how he feels now. :-/ x

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but you are DFD and they will often times talk with ines at the hall who are DFD during the memorial but after they will go back to shunning you.

• westiebilly11
    westiebilly11

After I had been DF , for 'brazen conduct,' ( as I had taken one of my late wife's carer's out for a daytime meal to thank her for her help, and refused to admit it was wrong to do), I continued to attend the meetings for around 8 months or so. All that time, a certain well grounded and respected elder ( a genuinely intelligent and sensitive man as it happens) always came over to acknowledge me and pat my shoulder. His kindness and obvious concern stood out compared to other so called christian elders who at my Judical hearing seemed unable to comprehend basic human kindness.There are genuinely caring and compassionate men in the congregations, ( and women too.!) but most seem afraid to broach corporate policy and act human.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit