Why 2017 Was the Best Year in Human History

by pseudoxristos 14 Replies latest jw friends

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

I found the following article to be a nice contrast to the JW's gloomy point of view.

Why 2017 Was the Best Year in Human History

We all know that the world is going to hell. Given the rising risk of nuclear war with North Korea, the paralysis in Congress, warfare in Yemen and Syria, atrocities in Myanmar and a president who may be going cuckoo, you might think 2017 was the worst year ever.

But you’d be wrong. In fact, 2017 was probably the very best year in the long history of humanity.

A smaller share of the world’s people were hungry, impoverished or illiterate than at any time before. A smaller proportion of children died than ever before. The proportion disfigured by leprosy, blinded by diseases like trachoma or suffering from other ailments also fell.

We need some perspective as we watch the circus in Washington, hands over our mouths in horror. We journalists focus on bad news — we cover planes that crash, not those that take off — but the backdrop of global progress may be the most important development in our lifetime.

Every day, the number of people around the world living in extreme poverty (less than about $2 a day) goes down by 217,000, according to calculations by Max Roser, an Oxford University economist who runs a website called Our World in Data. Every day, 325,000 more people gain access to electricity. And 300,000 more gain access to clean drinking water.

Readers often assume that because I cover war, poverty and human rights abuses, I must be gloomy, an Eeyore with a pen. But I’m actually upbeat, because I’ve witnessed transformational change.

As recently as the 1960s, a majority of humans had always been illiterate and lived in extreme poverty. Now fewer than 15 percent are illiterate, and fewer than 10 percent live in extreme poverty. In another 15 years, illiteracy and extreme poverty will be mostly gone. After thousands of generations, they are pretty much disappearing on our watch.

Just since 1990, the lives of more than 100 million children have been saved by vaccinations, diarrhea treatment, breast-feeding promotion and other simple steps.

Steven Pinker, the Harvard psychology professor, explores the gains in a terrific book due out next month, “Enlightenment Now,” in which he recounts the progress across a broad array of metrics, from health to wars, the environment to happiness, equal rights to quality of life. “Intellectuals hate progress,” he writes, referring to the reluctance to acknowledge gains, and I know it feels uncomfortable to highlight progress at a time of global threats. But this pessimism is counterproductive and simply empowers the forces of backwardness.

President Trump rode this gloom to the White House. The idea “Make America Great Again” professes a nostalgia for a lost Eden. But really? If that was, say, the 1950s, the U.S. also had segregation, polio and bans on interracial marriage, gay sex and birth control. Most of the world lived under dictatorships, two-thirds of parents had a child die before age 5, and it was a time of nuclear standoffs, of pea soup smog, of frequent wars, of stifling limits on women and of the worst famine in history.

What moment in history would you prefer to live in?

F. Scott Fitzgerald said the test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two contradictory thoughts at the same time. I suggest these: The world is registering important progress, but it also faces mortal threats. The first belief should empower us to act on the second.

Granted, this column may feel weird to you. Those of us in the columny gig are always bemoaning this or that, and now I’m saying that life is great? That’s because most of the time, quite rightly, we focus on things going wrong. But it’s also important to step back periodically. Professor Roser notes that there was never a headline saying, “The Industrial Revolution Is Happening,” even though that was the most important news of the last 250 years.

I had a visit the other day from Sultana, a young Afghan woman from the Taliban heartland. She had been forced to drop out of elementary school. But her home had internet, so she taught herself English, then algebra and calculus with the help of the Khan Academy, Coursera and EdX websites. Without leaving her house, she moved on to physics and string theory, wrestled with Kant and read The New York Times on the side, and began emailing a distinguished American astrophysicist, Lawrence M. Krauss.

I wrote about Sultana in 2016, and with the help of Professor Krauss and my readers, she is now studying at Arizona State University, taking graduate classes. She’s a reminder of the aphorism that talent is universal, but opportunity is not. The meaning of global progress is that such talent increasingly can flourish.

So, sure, the world is a dangerous mess; I worry in particular about the risk of a war with North Korea. But I also believe in stepping back once a year or so to take note of genuine progress — just as, a year ago, I wrote that 2016 had been the best year in the history of the world, and a year from now I hope to offer similar good news about 2018. The most important thing happening right now is not a Trump tweet, but children’s lives saved and major gains in health, education and human welfare.

Every other day this year, I promise to tear my hair and weep and scream in outrage at all the things going wrong. But today, let’s not miss what’s going right.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Thank you. My favorite line:

We need some perspective as we watch the circus in Washington, hands over our mouths in horror.

You can say that again.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Yes, I feel so much better now that I have $3/day to live off. Thank you Mr Bezos for letting some trickle down. Hey, who knows. If I survive, next year it might be $4/day. For an alternative view:

Sorry. Linky thing did not cooperate. http://www.monbiot.com/2017/11/24/everything-must-go/

• Half banana
    Half banana

A good counter to the doomsayers and the Whitehouse, thanks pseudoxristos.

• bleak
    bleak

LOL. That's some great whitewashing there. I'd say naivete and ignorance but it's the NYT so it goes without saying that they love to whitewash and censure very important circumstances and events from their propaganda. And of course no mention of the ethnic cleansing / genocide of Palestine by Zionist "Jews" of Israel. That goes without saying as well. But I'll say it anyway. As if the world hasn't gotten 1000 times more "evil" than it was when Christ was here (John 7:7). A million times more evil.

What does that guy consider "literacy?" He must mean more kids can text using acronyms and slang than ever before. Does he mean more people between ages 5 and 55 talk like valley girls? "And I was like, oh my god and she was like, whatever bla bla bla bla."

• steve2
    steve2

A well-argued OP. People's focus on conditions in the world is highly selective, ignoring contrary evidence.

You're right about the astonishing reduction in poverty and illnesses in the world and the reduced number of war casualities compared to even a few decades ago. Some have argued that we live in an age of terror - but most of humankind has not and will not be victims of terror attacks. Yet the threat of terrorism has the potential to totally rule people's lives and become the primary focus.

I recently heard some people claiming that London, England was now in the grip of terrorist attacks and threats. All I could think was: "Get real". London was subjected to widespread bombing during WW2 and in the 70s and early 80s, IRA attacks. I'm not minimizing people's suffering, including the fact that some people's lives are ruined by terrorist attacks, but to suggest this means the world is now "worse of" is a symptom of narcissistic anxiety (e.g., If it has the potential to affect me, it's got to be the worst).

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

You think it is bad now? Would you like to live in a world where Christi-SCAM-ity rules? That is where the LIE-ble was used as the absolute authority, and no one was allowed to cross check anything. You owned nothing. There was no freedom for anything. As a result of this forced ignorance, plagues dominated. People were basically enslaved, and dissent meant being burned at the stake or worse.

Yes, that happened during the reign of the cat lick church. When their rulership was absolute, conditions were as brutal as the worst communism we have today (which is what unchecked Christi-SCAM-ity is). And what the jokehovian witlesses are trying to do is to impose another world where similar conditions exist. You will be microchipped, bar coded, and tracked everywhere you go. Everything you think, say, or do is tracked and if they don't like it, you go to the gulags or get shut out of the system that we are all rendered dependent on. With these RFID chips, there is no hope of freedom emerging anywhere.

• DJS
    DJS

Criticize the source without providing specific counters to the data is a chicken shit way to make a post. The same data from a different source: Thanks pseudo:

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Pseudoxristos, thank you! Charities around the world are helping people work their way out of poverty, providing clean drinking water, fighting disease by vaccinating children, building schools and so much more. Some of this is funded by rich donors and corporations but much of it is donated by ordinary people who care. It's a great world, I'm proud to be a citizen of it.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

‘Look! The days are coming,’ declares the Sovereign Lord Jehovah, 'When I will send a famine into the land, Not a famine for bread or a thirst for water, But for hearing the words of Jehovah. They will stagger from sea to sea And from the north to the east. They will rove about searching for the word of Jehovah, but they will not find it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit