I have no prblems with "new light"

by Doug Mason 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Listener
    Listener

It's a publishing company. New light has meant new publications. Every book that they print becomes redundant at some point.

New ideas keep the flock eager with anticipation.

• never a jw
    never a jw

The problem is not just forcing people to accept new ideas, but forcing them to accept ideas that are far more ridiculous than previous ones. Overlapping generations anyone?

New ideas are supposed to bring progress, more consistency and harmony into our body of knowledge.

Some religious groups move backwards into medieval times (Bible literalists in the U.S.), others like JW's move into senseless chaos or la-la land.

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

Accepting newlite not only tests the obedience of the sheeple but is also a gauge to see if a person is "keeping in step with the organization."

The chariot has wheels within the wheels so it's zigging and zagging all over the place. Even the bumbling idiots in charge can't keep up anymore.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Doug Mason - "What havoc does this play with people's minds?"

For reasonably intelligent people, the kind that eventually lands them here.

For the morons, however, none at all.

• sparky1
    sparky1

New my !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Completely agree with the sentiments expressed.

Just a side point however. The term "new light" has been deprecated in JW language. They don't like to use it specifically for all the reasons above. They like to obfuscate the changes and call it things like "increasing light" and "refinements".

Semantic BS of course but the use of "new light" when talking to a Witness tends to mark one out as not keeping up with "increasing light".

• LifesNotOver
    LifesNotOver

Personally, I was seriously doubting my intelligence, my ability to think and reason and figure things out. When I would mull things over for hours (like the overlapping generation) twisting my poor brain every which way to bring it in line with what I thought they were actually getting at, then for an instant I would have an "I got it!!", then it would twist out of my mental grasp. And I'd be back to square one, only not really because I'd begun to doubt that I'd ever really understand it, I wasn't smart enough, but I'd keep trying because everyone around me was saying "I get it!" Soon I was saying "I get it" just so I would fit in and people would stop trying to explain it to me! And then I found myself trying to explain it to others without understanding it myself - what a joke! LNO

• steve2
    steve2

I too love the idea of growing in knowledge and humbly accepting I do not know everything and need to be healthily open to updating my knowledge and even accepting I have been wrong.

But I do not demand that everyone else should unquestioningly accept "my" new light and if they should question my new "light", accuse them of being proud, having bad motives and threaten them with loss of family and friends.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Love the wording:

Not that a light stays on for long. It switches on and off, like the twinkling lights on a Christmas tree or it cycles like traffic light signals. What was old is new again, until it becomes old, waiting for its turn to be switched on again for a while.

We (wife and I) talk all the time about things. When I express "doubts" about , say the overlapping generation she only needs to say " Well, that is what they teach today - tomorrow it will be something different, so don't worry about it"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit