Religious groups in UK failing children over sex abuse, report says - BBC News

by ballistic 25 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• ballistic
    ballistic

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58420270

This item just featured on the BBC lunchtime news today as the headline story and the piece included a reporter who singled out Jehovah's Witnesses for discussion from the 30 organisations covered by the report. The news item then went on to feature an extensive interview ex elder and ex Jehovah's Witness writer Lloyd Evans.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Just missed it on TV.

But it's one more reason why I don't trust anyone that belongs to any religion.

Followers of any religion have a tendency to put the reputation of that religion above common decency.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

That's rich coming from the BBC. These were the ones that protected scum like Jimmy Saville.

The statue on the outside of their building was put there by an incestuous paedo that also committed bestiality.

The BBC are another bunch of MSM fake news jockeys.

Interesting they mentioned the Jobos though.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

"25. The Jehovah’s Witnesses are one of few religious organisations which have an internal disciplinary process which can lead to the expulsion of members. The internal disciplinary processes of the Jehovah’s Witnesses continue to use a rule of corroborative evidence known outside the community as ‘the two‐witness rule’, whereby in the absence of a confession the evidence of two material witnesses is required to establish an allegation, which can then lead to disfellowship for the purposes of internal discipline. The rule is not intended to be a safeguarding measure. Nevertheless, it has no place in any response to child sexual abuse and fails to reflect the reality that by its very nature child sexual abuse
    is most often perpetrated in the absence of witnesses. The rule’s capacity to cause harm to victims and survivors of child sexual abuse is clear. We have received first‐hand evidence
    of this harm. As it presently operates, the Jehovah’s Witnesses internal disciplinary process for disfellowshipping members bears no relationship to how sexual crime happens. The continuing use of this rule shows a disregard of the seriousness of the crimes involved and their impact on individuals. It also lacks compassion for the victim, and serves to protect the perpetrator."

Page 115 btw

https://www.iicsa.org.uk/key-documents/26895/view/child-protection-religious-organisations-settings-investigation-report-september-2021.pdf

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The J W’s are taking a lot of heat about this today. The report press release is critical of all the religious bodies that it investigated but the media has been quick to talk about the JWs..... not without cause I may add.

One thing, the news report said that they have a policy of mandatory reporting in Britain. I was not aware of that, I thought that since it was not legally required here they did not do it. .... can you tell me if I was wrong?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I don’t think JWs do have a policy of mandatory reporting. The closest the Watchtower came was stating that parents have a right to report crimes to the police. A pretty weak statement.

I think that was an error, either in news reporting, or in the report itself, I don’t know which. A pretty significant error. But it doesn’t surprise me. Most news media is riddled with errors, including the BBC.

• Longlivetherenegades
    Longlivetherenegades

They know they are at war and considering how what Mr David said about the media, courts and negative reports about the organisation in the report on skysports. They should know those they see as enemies are using night vision glassesto watch their every move.

• AFRIKANMAN
    AFRIKANMAN
    So what did the IICSA actually achieve ?
  • jhine
    jhine

A little harsh Thomas. I could get quite upset at that slur .

I am an Anglican and the church is taking this problem very seriously. Please don't lump everyone together.

Plus it's not just religious people who cover this stuff up. That goes on in lots of organisations.

Jan

• Earnest
    Earnest

slimboyfat : I don’t think JWs do have a policy of mandatory reporting.

Under current procedures elders are required to report it to the statutory authorities if there is reason to believe a child is "in danger of abuse". This is established when they call the Legal Department and Service Department of the Central Branch Office which they are obliged to do for any allegation of child sexual abuse (See para. 50 of the IICSA report).

So, mandatory reporting when a child is at risk.

Why only then? Paul Gillies explained when he appeared before the Commission that it could be an adult victim, it could be something which happened to them prior to being a Witness, they may not want to go through the trauma of being interviewed by the police, or repeat it in a court setting, and the elders would respect their choice in the matter. In such cases the elders do not have the authority to insist it be reported when a child is not at risk.

AFRIKANMAN : So what did the IICSA actually achieve ?

The report concluded with the following recommendation for religious organisations :

All religious organisations should have a child protection policy and supporting procedures, which should include advice and guidance on responding to disclosures of abuse and the needs of victims and survivors. The policy and procedures should be updated regularly, with professional child protection advice, and all organisations should have regular compulsory training for those in leadership positions and those who work with children and young people

Religious organisations should publish responses to these recommendations, including the timetable involved, within six months of the publication of the report.

Mandatory reporting, vetting and barring, regulation of the voluntary sector in respect of religious organisations and settings, and introducing primary legislation to provide that voluntary settings adhere to basic child protection standards will be addressed in the final report.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit