Should the FDA have the right to inspect food?

by NoAbuse 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon
    How often do I find cans with bulges or big dents in them, because some idiot insists on stocking them anyways (and yes, I pull such product, shortage or none). I have also seen bags of dry goods with holes in them, through which anything (from dirt to food poisoning or cyanide) could get into the food. Again, if I see it, I pull it shortage or none. These idiots that continually stock such items need to get fired.

A couple of years ago one of our kids had a summer job at Walmart and occasionally helped out on the grocery section instead of electronics / games (where he did awesome). Last week Angharad was showing him how to tell if an Avocado was ripe or not.

He says "oh, that means they're ripe? I thought that meant they were bad ... I was throwing all those away"

No one was at risk of getting a ripe, ready-to-eat avocado while he was on duty!

In other news, I'm now eating Avocado toast like I'm a god damn gen-X millennial yuppy. This isolation is changing me.

• sparky1
    sparky1

I see what you did there...NoAbuse.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Some regulation is necessary, the FDA is there to make sure bad actors get prosecuted, but in the last few decades they’ve come more of a burden than a help. It took them a full month of red tape to even get started on approving emergency medicine for COVID. At that point, you know they’ve gone too far, if you can’t even get a study started for 3-6 months and they won’t let medicine on the market for 6-9 years.

If people are dying, they should have the right to take a medicine that isn’t fully proven but has shown promise. More people are dying due to the red tape than would ever die from unexpected side effects or allergic reactions.

The market is the right way to solve this, if you get poisoned, then you should have the right to sue, the FDA allows large drug companies to get away with it because ”hey, the FDA approved it”, even though they know about dangerous side effects and then the FDA takes another 10 years to allow people to sue.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit