Too Sikh-sy for their shirt, too Sikh-sy

by SixofNine 18 Replies latest jw friends

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Yes, but will they let their hair hang down? That's what's under the turbans, you know -- Sikh men do NOT cut their hair. In our last house, our neighbors across the street were Sikh, and their two boys were my kids' best friends for a while. They were very nice and fairly good-humored about the teasing they got at school for their long hair that was done in a topknot and covered with what looked like a handerchief. The turbans don't come until they are older.

Nina

• Hamas
    Hamas

Thats true Nina.

As a joke, I once asked a Sikh guy what he would do if I cut one of his hairs off.

He told me he would kill me. Then he said it again, later. I guess he meant it !

Although some demonination of Sikhs do cut their hair.

Mmmmmmm, Manisha Godhania .......................

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

My understanding (from my neighbors) is that the long hair is a choice, a commitment that the men make when they are old enough, but it is not required. The same with eating beef or pork: the boys, who were in 3rd and 5th grades when we moved, ate hamburgers and sausage but their parents didn't because they had made the commitment to not do so. I thought it was a pretty well-balanced viewpoint. VERY different culture, though. It was really interesting getting to know them. It was amusing, and sometimes very irritating, to discover that for them the word "no" was not the end of a discussion but an invitation to further negotiations.

Nina

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Yeah, a very maligned lot (Sikhs), due to peoples' ignorance of them, their customs and traditions.

Until I befriended one, I didn't really know much about them, and man oh man, talk about a loyal bunch of folks, who'll go to bat for you.

During WW2, they assisted greatly in the war efforts in the region. Well respected by many veterans world wide.

Good people, very kind and good hearted.

One guy I knew, he even put a turban on my head and wrapped it up just like his. It was cool! He kept his hair short, and didn't always wear his turban, only during formal settings.

Can you imagine had I gone out into the street with it on.....that would have been something.

• SadElder
    SadElder

They need ro Sikh another line of work

• ninecharger
    ninecharger

It's funny to us,

but the combined middle class of India Pakistan Bangladesh Sri Lanka Burma and Indonesia is well in to the 150 million plus region, if not more.

Any one with an idea for original fashions for chubby big built bearded macho men in turbans will make a fortune selling their designs on the cat walks of New Delhi...

Only wish I had such an interest...

• SheilaM
  • DFWnonJW
    DFWnonJW

JW: Blah, blah blah....
    Householder: Thank you but I'm Sikh.
    JW: Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I do hope you get better.
    Householder: No, no. I'm SIKH (with added emphasis)
    JW: Yes, I understand and I hope you get well soon.
    Householder: Arrrrrhhhhh! I'M SIKH DAMMIT....SIKH.
    JW: - walks away confused -

**based on a true story

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Zoolander meets Ghandi.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit