Response to "The Flood is Real, Because ..."

by Simon 33 Replies latest watchtower bible

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

I guess the same can be said of the Griffin. Also magical weapons (swords, spears, hammers, trident, etc). Every culture has told stories about enchanted weapons. Must be something to it, eh?

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

On Australia’s Gold Coast in south-east Queensland there is a Ripley’s Believe-It-or-Not Odditorium. In that museum there is one display panel, partially shown in the photograph below. It is the Greek alphabet and it happens to be the same as a known epic poem in the Mayan language:

Also, Ancient Mayan and Chinese calendar systems share so many similarities, it is unlikely they developed independently, according to the late David H. Kelley, whose paper on the subject was published posthumously in August.

The same days in the Mayan and Chinese calendars are associated with the deer, the dog, and the monkey. Other days also closely match, though the correspondence is not exact.

For example, one day is associated with the jaguar in the Mayan calendar, but with the tiger in the Chinese. Another is associated with the crocodile in the Mayan, but the dragon in the Chinese.

Its almost like a lot of the worlds cultures share a common beginning.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

"Its almost like a lot of the worlds cultures share a common beginning."

Very much. It is interesting to read the stories of Polynesians, chinese, Norse, europeans, navigating oceans and land, leaving unexpected dna in far flung areas.

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

LOL.

"The flood is real because of a Ripley's Believe It Or Not Poster in Australia".

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

FFGhost,

From what I understand, in the ancient Maya language every letter is pronounced. When you pronounce the Greek alphabet letters in order, it tells the story I posted above in the Mayan language. This would indicate that the Greek alphabet descended from Cara-Maya vocables, and not the other way around as standard history might suggest.

I don't believe Ripley's has ever been found to have falsified any of its claims.

Here's another reference. Pages 55 - 58.

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

LOL ^2.

From the Creation.com article you lifted the photo from:

Let’s assume that this is correct. We have no way of checking it at present, except for the decades-old reputation of Ripley himself, who exposed his findings to the scrutiny of literally hundreds of millions of people.

I stand corrected:

"The flood is true because an anonymous writer on an obscure website is too lazy to research by, oh, I don't know, actually talking to a linguist, or, goddess forbid, spending 3 minutes reading in Wikipedia about the Mayan language, and thus he accepts as gospel truth the made-up nonsense of an early 20th century cartoonist who undoubtedly knew less than nothing about the Mayan language."

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

Flood myths are likely retelling of events that felt to the locals that were on a global scale being that they had little idea of how big the planet is. It has been well researched how at one time the Black Sea basin was a lot lower than it is today with ancient beaches discovered deep under the sea. The theory is the sea broke through the Bosporus straits and flooded it until it reached the level of the sea. Babylon wasn't too far from this area and this was a major event that likely took many lives.

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

Just wanted to pop back in and say....

If you're bored and are looking for some super-duper crackpot stuff to kill time, just click on that link under "Here's another reference pages 55-58" above. It's a PDF of book written in the 1930's by a guy named Churchward (and is the source for the Ripley poster displayed above).

Wowsers! It's really.....something.

I especially liked the part about how Moses wrote the book of Genesis in Egyptian hieroglyphics and Ezra, not understanding them, screwed up the translation. Most of the book is far less entertaining, alas.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

The real mystery is how people still believe there was a literal, global flood, given the overwhelming evidence that it didnt happen.

Science: form a theory, follow evidence,test it, invite others to criticise, modify understanding to form a sound conclusion.

Belief: form a conclusion first, look for any information that supports your belief, ignore everything else.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

"every culture has a flood story"

I remember researching this point myself years ago. In a very loose general sense it is true, in that every culture experiences floods, so every culture has a word for “flood”, and many have a few stories about dealing with floods.

However, if you are looking for a culture that has a flood story that sounds anything remotely like the biblical flood story, there is only the one. That is the Sumerians, in Chapter Eleven of the Sumerian poem, Epic of Gilgamesh, where the god Enki tells Utnapishtim to build a boat to hold himself, his family, and “all the animals of the field”. What is then described is so similar that it is obvious one flood story if copied from the other. The Epic of Gilgamesh is much older than the Bible, and the flood story makes more sense in the context of that story than it does in the Bible, so it is pretty obvious that the Bible writers just picked up on an interesting snippet from the earlier literature and weaved it into the Bible.

So basically, no culture has a flood story remotely like the biblical flood myth, apart from the one Sumerian extract that the biblical writers plagiarised.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit