The goal in all this 1918/1919 change?

by careful 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I trust Richard Oliver to interpret the scriptures, and all legal matters pertaining to the WTBTS.

DD

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Excellent post careful. Yes their abandonment of Franz's "types" may be causing unintended problems. And they are not as creative or intelligent as Franz was.

Yes Russell had a lot more to say about the gap between the second century apostasy and the nineteenth century revival. I think the Bible Students identified the messengers of the church in Revelation as: Paul, Arius, Waldo, Wycliffe, Luther and Russell. I can't find the source for that now, but in searching for it I came across this interesting discussion of Russell's "church thought".

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a226955.pdf

• careful
    careful

Thanks, SBF. Yes, I remember reading those IDs of Russell years ago. I cannot get the link to work. Would you repost, please?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It's a thesis with the title: "The Church in the thought of Charles Taze Russell" by Gene Edson Ahlstrom

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Good question Careful.

I perceive that the org and its puppet-masters in recent years have become extremely re-active, as opposed to being pro-active, and they have woken up to the reality that their nemesis is the all-mighty internet!

Pandora's box has been opened. The hierarchy knows that every single nonsensical and anti-scriptural teaching from Russell until the present-day charlatans is under justifiable scrutiny and attack. Their strategy is now damage-limitation, by repudiating/distancing/discrediting former teachings and governing body members - regardless of the outcome.

Hence the reason for the conversation-stopper and "priming" of J.W.'s in the February 2017 Study Edition of the Watchtower - "The Governing Body is neither inspired nor infallible. Therefore, it can err in doctrinal matters or in organizational direction."

If J.W.'s raise concerns in the future, the WTBTS will simply point to that article and say, "Jehovah is refining his earthly organization. Are you keeping up with His fast-moving chariot?"

• careful
    careful

SBF, I found the same link you provided on a google search, but when I hit it, it was just as dead as when I clicked on the link you provided. A search on worldcat reveals that Ahlstrom's work is a 1990 dissertation done at the University of California Santa Barbara, likely before all such dissertations were microfilmed. Someone beside the UCSB library, which holds the lone hard copy available and likely did not make a pdf of it (or it would be on their catalogue entry), must have made a pdf and uploaded on some website which is no longer is hosting the link. Do you have a pdf version in your files that you can share here?

• freddo
    freddo

David Splane:

"And while we're on the subject of bread, don't forget to hand over your dough!"

That's an intrinsic part of the message which ever way you slice it.

• oppostate
    oppostate

I reposted JWLeaks' "Bread Loaf Splane-ation" on FB and it seems well received by the JW R&F facebook group with thousands of active ones with over 40+ likes overnight!

===================================

==============================================

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yes maybe the reason the link works for me is that I downloaded it months ago. I have tried to email you the PDF. Will write a proper email soon.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Too funny Oppostate!

Some great posts so far!

What gets me is that between Russell, Rutherford and Franz.......None of their crap has survived and to think it was a death offense (being DFed) if the rank and file didn't support every piece of garbage they dreamed up.

By the way there was really no depth to their beliefs......... just smoke and mirrors.

Sometimes there is nothing to be found in nothing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit