Dress and grooming

by stuckinarut2 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    best type error ever one eyed Joe! The required dress code is apparently the same as the meeting content and the organization. there must be a proverb that says something like 'you can't groom a shit'

Lol! Blasted autocorrect! I guess it figured out the spirit of what I was saying and decided shit was much more appropriate than suit. The computers are having Freudian slips. I for one welcome our new robot overlords.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

The one that always came up here in the UK was "would you wear anything less than a suit to meet the Queen? Why would you not dress to at least the same standard to meet the Universal God, Jehovah?"

Bang to rights really.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    Lol! Blasted autocorrect! I guess it figured out the spirit of what I was saying and decided shit was much more appropriate than suit.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1bt51b_alan-partridge-love-making-and-mousse_fun

skip to 2:50 if you want to miss the build up to one of my most fave AP scenes...

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

It just makes them look goofy at this point. There are very few professions now where full business attire is the standard.

A troop full of JWs walking around a neighborhood or hitting up McDonalds dressed like that is plain idiotic. They do more harm to themselves all in the name of trying to show off.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS started in 1879 and I doubt if any of us were alive back then. Dress and grooming for church, work, and for women was very straight laced. At one time women were expected to wear hats in church and at the kingdom hall. That was pretty much the way it was until the 50's when dress for women started changing, children had play clothes, but men were still expected to wear business attire in general. No longer hats at the KH for women. Very little has changed overall since 1879 at the KH. I doubt it every will. The WTS put a beard on Jesus in 1968 but still would not let men wear them.

• zeb
    zeb

"it's about power and control"

quite correct. OSFA one size fits all. Clones

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

GrreatTeacher

GrreatTeacher 2 hours ago

I wish someone could find and post a picture of the styleguide / picturebook of clothing that is appropriate vs. inappropriate when visiting Bethel, which is a FACTORY!

• Socrateswannabe
    Socrateswannabe

I completely agree that the dress code is all about control, but as far as gripes against the WTS are concerned, this one is about number 10,001 on my list. There are at least ten thousand better things to go after these guys for.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    I completely agree that the dress code is all about control, but as far as gripes against the WTS are concerned, this one is about number 10,001 on my list. There are at least ten thousand better things to go after these guys for

It's a big picture thing. I get that it can seem petty to criticise a requirement to dress like a salesman from the 50s, but it's about more than just that. They use the requirement, and the average JWs acquiescence to it, as a stepping stone to ensure that JWs follow other requirements. More insidious requirements. Requirements like shunning their children or dying for want of a blood transfusion.

Research shows that if you can get someone to do you a small favor, they're more likely to do you a big favor later than if you jumped to the big favor straight away. It's a significant part of human psychology that all cults take advantage of. It's about more than the clothes, it's about what they use the dress requirements to accomplish, and I suspect that most of those 10,000 grievances of yours are in some way related to their control, and a big part of their control is rooted in getting people to make small sacrifices early that eventually escalate into bigger and bigger sacrifices.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Thanks, Pete. Boy, don't those folks on the left look terrible.

If I saw people like them in an alley, I'd run!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit