Anybody else consternated about Jesus?

by runForever 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• runForever
    runForever
    I've read the bible as many of you have. A lot of it makes sense. I just can't believe. Anybody else feel this way? Has someone really came down here and gone back to heaven?
  • Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast
    Consternated?
  • runForever
    runForever
    consternate:"past participle of consternāre to unsettle, throw into confusion."
  • blondie
    blondie
    More fiber in my diet
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    The Bible is full of mistakes, contradictions, and prophecies that didn't come true. So how can anyone once they know this have any faith in it
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Crazyguy: "The Bible is full of mistakes, contradictions, and prophecies that didn't come true."

http://www.scribd.com/doc/95804194/A-Most-Evil-and-Stupid-Book-The-Bible-s-Moral-Depravity-Contradictions-and-Absurdities

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

When I fully realized that the Bible was a select number of ancient scrolls, chosen by some ancient dudes who are considered to be members of "False Religion" by the leaders of the WTBTS; I lost faith in the particular scrolls used by Xianity.

Religions are all just sects of a possibly unknown set of original beliefs that have been tailored by numerous groups throughout history to fit their particular agenda. No one sect has all the answers, and the more honest groups admit it.

The NT can be interesting to read and emotionally manipulating. The thought of a higher power watching over you can be comforting, but the skewed JW version leaves one paralyzed. I found myself consternated over a loving Jesus throwing people into everlasting destruction. It seemed wrong for evil to be allowed, the NT to be written in Greek, (which is easily tweaked) which leaves room for evil ones to twist verses and abuse, and then we are going to be killed for losing trust in Xianity?? How unfair!

The JW Jesus is nothing more than an ineffectual errand boy for his Dad. The mainstream Jesus finds car keys while children starve. They both seem willing to execute billions who fail to grasp the nebulous and contradicting dogma of their chosen leaders. Not cool.

DD

• Heaven
    Heaven

runForever, the Jesus story is largely, if not all, myth. Everything ever written about Jesus came from people who never even met him decades after his supposed death. Jesus himself wrote nothing down. If you have the time, a comparative study of the 4 Gospels will show they do not corroborate, but in fact, contradict each other. Here's a little taste on it from Bart Ehrman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNn7b_kz9dM

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Jesus makes sense when realizing he has been mythologized by his followers.

Most scholars agree that a man named Jesus lived and was killed by the romans; the gospel accounts come decades after his death, and are consistent with his followers being unable to accept that their prophet was dead, and that his death was meaningless.

After his death, his followers came to believe that what happened to him was prophesied and that he was not really dead, but was raised.

The empire building started with Paul, who was not in the least interested in what Jesus thought or taught (NO mention of Jesus' miracles or teachings by Paul, look for yourself) but only in his place in a new faith.

There are very good books that help to understand the process: John Dominic Crossan has written a very good book for the lay person, Jesus a Revolutionary Biography.

Also Burton L Mack, The Lost Gospel.

And the writings of Elaine Pagels on Jesus, the Gnostic Gospels, and the Origin of Satan.

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

Read "Nailed."

he never existed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit