I have read and re read acts chap.15 and for the life of me I can't find the part about the 1st century governing body!

by nowwhat? 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

I cannot find the verse where it talks about several self appointed men that went behind closed doors to render their decision regarding circumcision. All I see is that it was the apostles, older men and THE CONGREGATION that came to a decision. Perfect example of why we need the governing body today. Because as an individual I clearly lack understanding and faith!

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

And without them how would we know that when Jesus said "For where two or three gather together as my followers, I am there among them.” that he meant only if they are using GB approved literature.

• GregW
    GregW

.......because there wasn't any.

The WTS leaders took it upon themselves as Hebrew high priests with god's power at their hands and discretion.

Why would Jehovah choose false prophet apostates in 1919 ?

Oh yeah they said that as a means to give relevance and verification to the literature they published.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

They have worked the term "governing body" into a footnote in the rNWT at Acts 15:2. From there, to most JWs, it is as good as if the Bible said it. JWFacts has a page on the topic here.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

It is quite evident from the genuine words of Paul that no such thing existed, yes he did visit the older men in Jerusalem, as a kind of polite way of saying, well I'm preaching to the Gentiles , I thought I would come and say hello. It is evident he did not hold them in any higher esteem than himself. And he did not agree with them on all things.

It is doubtful that anything in Acts 15 took place at all. Acts is mainly a work of fiction, and contradicts a number of things about Paul that he says in his genuine works.

The true situation in the 1st century was that there were a number of groups formed that followed Jesus, or their view of him and his teaching, none of them recognised the remaining Apostles as authorities on Doctrine or Practice. And certainly the mantle did not fall on to someone else as an Apostle died.

There was no Governing Body.

• GregW
    GregW
    Why ? Because it was a self made construct by the top leaders of the WTS, a identification of who was in absolute power within the organization..
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

back in the day when i was a teenage dub--i cant recall any governing body. The head bloke was Nathan Knorr--and that was the only name i heard of. In the UK at that time the branch servant was Wilf Gooch ( who i did like listening to at assemblies ).

• Guard
    Guard

They have made themselves the governing body. However, there are people who want someone to lead them all their lives. Such people remain spiritual babies forever. Then they will say, " The faithful servant whom You gave us, he gave us this food, and we ate it."

Therefore, God does not love evil and deliberately immature people.

• James Jack
    James Jack

Verses 22,23 talks about the Apostles and older Men (a Governing Body), rendering a decision.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Yes, "and together with the whole congregation.." That's the point.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit