Listing Bros cv's in their intro

by purrpurr 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Heard it for quite a while, haven't been to a convention though in almost a decade.

I think its a cult tactic. Message to the troops that if you want to get up here on stage during the big boy talks you better work your ass off for us. Screw that.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Great thread purr purr

I love it when people are exposed for being hypocrites. Hypocrisy really frustrates me and each time a hypocrite is exposed the angels in heaven rejoice lol hahaha.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

And then, after the build up, Bro Superdub gives a talk that is completely devoid of any of his own ideas or thoughts. He just spouts groupthink or no think. He could be a robot.

• exjwlemming
    exjwlemming

Brother "Never Grew Up" will be giving the next part on our 20 part symposium. Brother "Never Grew Up" was home schooled and married the first woman that he ever kissed at 18. He has spent nearly 20 years in the full time service while living in his parent's basement and collecting unemployment checks while working for cash under the table. He hasn't held steady verified employment for more than 4 months at a time. The births of both his children were paid for by our tax dollars. The topic of his talk is "Being honest in all aspects of our life." Brother "Never Grew Up," you have our undivided attention.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Oh these are great comments!

Yes, it seems very hypocritical for an organisation that boasts that the individual is nothing, and that we should be humble and modest, to be boasting like this!

What happened to "good for nothing slave, what you are doing you ought to be doing!"?

It is more like what Jesus said : "like the religious leaders on the street corners raising their eyes upward...getting their reward in full!"

• blondie
    blondie

I remember this when I was still going 15 years ago, as Apostle Peter introduces Jesus to the crowd,

And here we have Jesus the son of God who is the second oldest living being in the universe, having assisted God in the creation of all other things, yet humbled himself to be among humans, condemned to death without any hope of a future. Today he healed 4,000 people and raised 2 from the grave.

• stillin
    stillin

"If any of you common publishers out there have any doubts about what is being said from the stage, tough crap!"

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    Matt 6:2 Therefore when you do merciful deeds, don't sound a trumpet before yourself, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may get glory from men. Most certainly I tell you, they have received their reward.

Ones "service" to Jehovah is meant to be done out of love for him and love for ones fellowman. Listing a speakers JW related accomplishments before he gives a talk is a way of boosting his personal credibility and a way of humbling the audience so they will be impressed enough to listen obey and be blessed.

I heard one such (late 50ish )brother give a talk where all of his Watchtower related accomplishments were listed before he got on stage. (Circuit Work, Pioneer, Gilead, etc) He proceeded to give a very authoritative talk that was peppered with disdainful comments about the world and its so called accomplishments.

The very next week I saw him wearing a hair net and and apron, handing out cheese samples at Costco. Not that there's anything wrong with that but It was ironic to go from seeing him in a $500.00 suit being lauded by thousands and making scathing remarks about everything and anyone non JW to handing out bits of cheese to cart pushing shoppers.

Since leaving the Circuit Work for health reasons, he and his wife/are were living in the apartment attached to our Kingdom Hall and the congregation pays for their utilities in exchange for special talks once in awhile on Sunday. One part of me felt sorry for him and the other part was annoyed at his arrogance and condemnation toward those in the world. After all....what is he really doing...what is he really accomplishing himself to be able to condemn all those who actually are helping people in a real way in the here and now.

• sir82
    sir82

For a lot, maybe most, that's all they've got.

From any reasonable viewpoint, they are utter failures. They earn less than their peers' children (or grandchildren!), they are swimming in debt, they are emotional wrecks, they have little self-respect....what else do they have, other than "30 years of full time service"?

So that gets announced, with the idea that the schmucks in the audience will hear it and think "wow, even though my life is an utter sham and I am desperately unhappy, if I start pioneering tomorrow, in 30 years time I might get my name announced in front of 10,000 strangers who will forget my name, and everything I say, within 30 seconds of leaving the stage. Well, it's something to shoot for."

• OverlappingGeneralizations
    OverlappingGeneralizations

"Next on our program is Brother Hairy Psalms. He has spent the last 13 years in a life disfellowshipped debauchery, methamphetime use, chronic masturbation and pedophilia. But after his reinstatement, has been in the full-time pioneer work for just over 3 weeks (applause break). Listen intently as he develops the theme "deaden your body members". We also look forward to Brother Psalms' interviews with the young people he has taken under his wing, and how he started his ministry in a lowly van with no windows, and "free candy" spray-painted on the side. What's that all about? Brother Hairy Psalms, please..."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit