They Don't Have A Secret Elder's Book

by pale.emperor 41 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    millie210
    I think it may have to do with the Elders School they attend where they are given information to write in the margins of their book, some of which gets rather detailed and somewhat strange.
    It is a brilliant move though, that way if an elder acts on it, and a law suit or some type of complaint resulted, well...
    its in the elders handwriting NOT the Societys!

That's the main thing. They all have virtually the same thing in the margins, but it's all hush-hush super secret, so secret that it couldn't be printed, but must be added on the fly in your handwriting. And you are supposed to fall on your sword if ever asked, saying the margin notes are your own understanding of what has been taught.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

Prior to finding out about "the book" I always would have problems understanding how we were supposed to be "Jehovah's Witnesses" when scripture clearly said we are Witnesses of Jesus Christ. One day it would be Jehovah coming to judge. The next meeting it was Jesus. Next meeting Jesus was king. Then 30 minutes later Jehovah was king. You literally had to figure out who's kingdom it was. Conspicuously missing was putting faith in Jesus as the only way to salvation. Instead it was always "slave for Jehovah" as he was the savior of sinners.

I dealt with it the best way and probably only way Witnesses deal with this sort of confusion and that was to "trust the Slave" and continue "waiting on Jehovah". It wasn't until I found out the elders had an exclusive book that my doubts started. Then little by little their man-made kingdom fell to pieces.

The freedom of taking that guilt ridden JW lifestyle off my shoulders is incredibly liberating and refreshing. Today I'm at peace and enjoy a stress free life. Too bad my family is still a part of this sinister cult but we manage just fine. Nothing can stop me "I'm all the way up". 😊

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

It is an attempted "win-win" situation for the societies control over the flock!

Either you listen to them and "do not read it as it is a book exclusively for elders", or "you are a brazen, rebellious sinner" if you do sneak a read!

Either way, they try and win.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I always thought it was strange that they had a secret pioneer book too. I could never understand why they wouldn't want all public ministers to be as encouraged and qualified as the next. If there was some magic book that helped people become more effective public ministers, why only give it to a select few? The hierarchies in the Borg are so obvious.

P.E., I'm sorry your mom is so deep into the dissonance. I'd like to say it was a rarity, but it's not. And JWs like to say that it is Satan that blinds the minds of people. Talk about the blind leading the blind.

• zeb
    zeb

They do have an 'Elders Book' .

It was given to the 'expert' who gave evidence on behalf of the wts at the ARC. the expert who is female and by her own words practicing Catholic. She referred to it in cross examination.

I saddens me that so many folks here are emotionally wrung out trying to convince jw's (mothers (!) or others when they are utterly a waste of breath.

• Edison Trent
    Edison Trent

Yes, most stuff in the flock book can be found in other publications. I see 2 reasons, why these books (for elders and pioniers e.g.) are kept secret.

1. To get and to have these books makes the owners feel special. They say it's a privilege.

2. Without the flock book, the elders couldn't manage all the rules of the org. It's really sad they need it and i wish it would become a public download like the organisation book or the km. These also were kept secret a long time.

Even better would it be, if these book wouldn't exist. It is so harmful.

The flock book is available for download on jw.org, if you are logged in as an elder. It's provided in PDF and ePUB format. They include all the changes and notes, that came with the letters to the BOEs.

• Andy Dufresne
    Andy Dufresne

"“Secrecy is the keystone to all tyranny. Not force, but secrecy and censorship. When any government or church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives."
    Robert A. Heinlein

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

What appears in the beginning in the shape of an anecdote about a rather unimport random subject in the JW JW religion

"We dont have a secret book "...it is not secret but ....only forbidden for some of us" hahaha

is in the end a top story of high importance because it has so many consequences on so many different levels.

like others already said and...

the random notes the elders make handwritten are handled like unwritten law consisting of personal outfindings about the current understandings of the slave and thus overrolling the interpretative law based on confusing wt literature.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

pale.emperor - "Does anyone know if they have a scriptural reason to keep the book a secret?"

Since when have they ever needed a "scriptural" reason to do anything? :smirk:

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

I think the real gem in that shitty book is the way the elders can basically get away with doing anything, as long as time passes and it goes unnoticed.

The provision in the book allows for elders to remain serving if they admit to previous serious sins, as long as the sins are not known in the congregation and the elder has successfully been leading a double life. Get your slap on the wrist and continue lording it over others and being a hypocrite.

They could have cocaine and prostitute addictions, that is not the issue, they just need to keep the 'appearance' of a having a clean congregation. If the elder has kept his sins secret and still has the respect of the flock, he can remain.

Let's be honest, this is the the WTS, the elders could technically rape children and get away with it, because of loopholes created to protect their image. Sadly this is the reality of what goes on when men are allowed to let delusional ideas fester.

What a loving provision!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit