Self-Driving vehicles and delivery robots - why?

by FadeToBlack 32 Replies latest social current

• Island Man
    Island Man

I will say this however. When it comes to artificial intelligence, I believe that such beings should not be physically enabled. They should just be a brain in a box, able only to give information but not perform any physical actions or physically control other systems. Great care needs to be exercised with AI. We already know what humans are capable of. it would be foolish to develop super-smart AIs with free will to act. Just as there is separation for church and state in America, there should be separation of brain and actuation when we're dealing with Artificial Intelligence.

And when I speak of artificial intelligence, I'm not speaking about the illusion of artificial intelligence. I'm speaking of actual Artificial intelligence, as in self-conscious, self-willed intelligent beings.

• Londo111
    Londo111

"History has shown that there will always be work for humans."

Unemployment has been a very real issue and as machine learning could mean that no segment of employment is untouched. Jobs classified today as "white collar" could one day be done by AI. And I worry too that the pace things are changing will be faster than I or most can humanly keep up with.

Again, the fundamental structure of the economy would have to radically change so that everyone could benefit as equally as possible from machines doing most of the work. If so, then it would be positive for all humanity.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Thanks for all the thoughts on this matter. I guess my age was showing when I spoke about the American fascination with cars. I realize for most younger people the view has changed. For many it is not even an option as they are still living at home because they can't find a job and have student loans to pay off. But if your are fortunate enough to live in an area with good public transportation, why bother? When we lived in Warsaw for example, our car sat in the driveway 99% of the time.

I agree that with more and more automation the fundamental structure of society will have to change and I think that is why some countries are beggining to toy around with the idea of paying everyone a basic income. To help cover the costs, all forms of welfare would be done away with.

I also had this strange thought that if adjustments are not made to make things a bit more equitable, that the pizza delivery bot will have to be armed or accompanied by an armed security drone. I can just picture a gang of unemployed truck drivers hiding in the bushes waiting for dinner to arrive.

It might also make the roads safer for bicyclists when there are less bad drivers on the road. I live 13km from the nearest grocery store. It is doable by bike, but at the moment, I would not dream of getting on the road with the way people drive around here.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Regarding what Simon mentioned with regard to automation freeing up staff for customer service: that was a selling point we used at a company I worked for that automated order-entry call centers with Voice Recognition. There were 2 components that had to be developed. The interface with the back end system and the front end voice part.

Part of the task developing the system was to interview to current staff that actually took the orders over the phone. Sometimes they were a bit hostile, and rightly so. We used that line - this would free them up to handle more important service related tasks, etc. and this was true to an extent (for those that kept there jobs). But in reality it was viewed by management as a way to reduce head count. They kept the best and the rest were freed up to pursue other opportunities. I felt kind of bad knowing that people were losing their jobs so I could have one.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Well, since President Trump plans to boot out all the "illegal immigrants", and nobody else will want to do all that menial work, what other option is left but... automated machines?

So, by that logic, when the inevitable robot uprising/apocalypse occurs, it'll be all America's fault.

Just like James Cameron predicted.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack
    @Vidiot: I don't think robots or AI will be deployed to harvest strawberries for the top 1-10%. That will be left for the illegal immigrants, because as you noted, most entitled americans will feel it beneath them. What the bottom 90% will be doing in the future is the big question. It seems like a lot of them (older white males) recently have already decided on a different route (suicide).
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I don't understand how self-driving cars for pizza delivery would make economic sense for the business owners. They would have to take on the financial burden of purchasing the vehicle.

As it is, they hire drivers for minimum wage who are supplemented by tips and who provide their own vehicle, and thus wear and tear, fuel and insurance.

Unless the business model is different elsewhere.

• hoser
    hoser
    Self driving cars won't work in canada so I'm not too worried about it.
  • Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I'm involved with automation projects. And I've corrected my managers on a rather fundamental point of my objectives. When they have stated things like, "then we will need three fewer laborers," I've correct them and said, "no, those three laborers will be able to make far more parts per hour (because demand for our products continue to grow), and they will have a safer work environment and will have more time for quality inspections and cleaning projects."

While it is true that new automation can destroy some jobs and more money can go to equipment owners instead of human labor, my experience has been that I'm making a lot of money with my technical work with the equipment.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

@hoser: why woudn't they work in Canada if they work elsewhere? Population density? Perhaps in Toronto?

Maybe it will prove to be the last blowout/bubble and we will have driveless vehicles toting around to nowhere with nothing to do. I think a lot of this type of progress depends on infinite growth, which is just not going to happen on a finite planet. We are already approaching the limits. But what else are the believers going to say? Games up?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit