Self-Driving vehicles and delivery robots - why?

by FadeToBlack 32 Replies latest social current

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

I saw a 'news' article today about Pizza hut (I think) delivering pizzas via a robotic vehicle in NZ. Also another article headline saying it is not a question of if, but when. My immediate thought was, why? Unemployment is already a major issue in much of the developed world and in the future such jobs as truck divers, taxi cab drivers, delivery staff will also be looking for work? So much for your temp gig with Uber.

It also seemed strange that in the land of the 65 Mustang this idea could actually gain traction. I realize for the business owners, it is great idea (don't need to deal with pesky employees always asking for a raise and benefits), but what is the point for the average joe/Jane? You can watch movies during your daily commute? What am I missing? Or is this just 'progress'?

• Simon
    Simon

It's all about money. Automation often equals cost savings because machines just keep on going.

With self-driving vehicles there is also the increased safety aspect. Far too many people are still being killed on roads. We already see lots of driver-aids - automatic breaking, adaptive cruise control, lane assist etc...

Times change - people used to travel by boat a lot but less so now. Driving isn't as big a deal to the next generation as it was to ours or our parents. It will become a lost art, like filling a fountain pen with ink.

• done4good
    done4good

Being a bit of a car nut myself, I find it somewhat disappointing, but Simon is correct. Times change and Millenials are not into cars much these days. Most I know consider them to be necessary evils at best. Granted, I live and work in a large metropolitan area where the demographic is amenable to this type of thinking.

Statistically, the technology has already proven it will be much safer than human driven vehicles. Human error accounts for most accidents, and auto accidents themselves are in the top 5 causes of death in the US. This alone will make self-driven vehicles inevitable.

Automation always has cost driven factors as well, as has been pointed out.

d4g

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Don't forget fast food workers.

The people who come out with these moronic ideas just want to save money for their corporations. The problem is that the more people there are who cannot afford their trash the less money they will make. That applies to the unemployed and even the employed minimum wage workers.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Self driving cars will be safer, that's a huge reason to me, lives will be saved. I don't like driving and will get one as soon as I can afford it. Especially when I am older it will be a huge advantage, think of all the older folks that can't drive or shouldn't be. Think of all the drunk driving accidents that can be prevented. If enough cars are self driving it will reduce congestion and make commutes easier. It will also save energy as self driving cars are more fuel efficient.

Yes, Uber drivers will lose their jobs, just like there are no longer people making buggy whips. Some jobs are lost, some are created and overall productivity improves with every advance in technology, it's a fact of life.

People will soon be wondering how they ever got along without them.

• Island Man
    Island Man

Why?

1. Greater safety. Most accidents are caused by human error. Remove the human from behind the wheel and you remove - or at least drastically reduce - human error

2. More free time to do other things. Think of the office workers who have long hour long commutes. That hour long drive behind the wheel could be spent doing something else like - working or power napping or something else, while the car drives itself to your destination.

3. Cheaper and more flexible access to transportation. With self driving cars you don't need to know how to drive to own a car or use one by yourself. In fact, owning a car becomes less of a necessity and more of a luxury. How so? Well taxis would become more available and more affordable because there's no human taxi-driver to be paid. Removing the labor cost involved in public transportation would significantly reduce the cost. The cost of insurance will also drop once it becomes obvious that automated self-driven cars are safer. This too will further reduce cost. And because these cars aren't driven by humans you can have 24-hour access to transportation even in countries that don't have 24-hour working days!

When you combine self-driving cars with improvements in GPS technology, a tourist can go to a foreign country and literally go anywhere at anytime without fear of getting lost! Every location will have a GPS address - even homes, and maybe even mail! No more hassles trying to give a taxi driver confusing or complicated directions on how to get to a person's private home. If someone gives you their GPS address, you don't have to worry about how to get there - the GPS-enabled self-driving car will figure it all out. You don't ever have to worry about getting lost! Think of the freedom of travel that opens up for the tourist!

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

As far as automated cars are concerned they will go into the same place as flying cars did when they were fantasized about 80 years ago.

• Simon
    Simon

So Calgary has had a few McDonalds restaurants install the self-service ordering system near us and I have mixed views on them. While it's great in a morning being able to order breakfast instead of waiting behind some dithering old people wondering where they are, it does make you think "great, now teenagers can't even get a first job at McDonalds anymore!".

They claim they hire more workers so that they can instead spend time on customer service but I wonder if that's just a short term thing to get acceptance and after a year or so we'll see fewer and fewer people and more and more corporate profits yet again going to the few.

Where do people think their customers will get money from once jobs have all been replaced?

• Londo111
    Londo111

In the next decade and beyond, I do wonder about the nature of employment, and not just with self-driving cars.

AI and near-AI systems may do the work that is currently done by programmers and data analysts. Machine learning might put allot of people out of work. The fundamental nature of the economy might need to change.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2080927-how-victory-for-googles-go-ai-is-stoking-fear-in-south-korea/

• Island Man
    Island Man
    History has shown that there will always be work for humans. So I don't worry about the fears of automation taking away all our jobs. As fast as automation takes over human jobs, brand new fields of work are opening up which require human labor. The day when robots take over all our work - will that be such a bad day? Would it be such a bad thing to live in a world where production is increasing with limited or no human labor? Imagine if we spent all our free time with family and fiends, going to the beach, hiking, learning - lifelong learning! Maybe human labor will be reduced to political decision making, scientific research and managing of robotic resources. Think about how many new inventions will come about with everyone involved in lifelong continuing education and research and inventions because all the more menial jobs are taken by robots!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit