Describe life as a JW.

by Overrated 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Overrated
    Overrated

Under constant watch of other JW. Being told how your life is run. Everything you do under a microscope. Enslaved to a self centered, self righteous group who serves no for real purpose for humanity. It is the hemorrhoid to society.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

A complete waste of time. Boasting sessions and field circus wasted so much time that there was nothing left for anything else. And you couldn't really watch or listen to anything entertaining. For "music", you had Kingdumb maladies. Sometimes you might be allowed to listen to Yanni and Barbra Scheißand. Some real music such as Ratt and Led Zeppelin were all off limits.

At least, when I spend time worshiping the sun, I have something that I can enjoy. Decorating for the holidays is more than a time waster--it adds festivity to the area. And during the summer, there are plants to tend to--in cases of cutting down non-native invasive vines, it does that little bit to help the environment instead of harming it by polluting with car fumes and dry cleaning for suits.

• a watcher
    a watcher

Personal relationship with Jehovah is wonderful. Dealing with the judgmental earthly org, not so much.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

On a bus bound for nowhere.

• Gorb
    Gorb

Being part of a well respected jw family Gorby had no much problems. A litle bit the local jw royality.

When I woke up in 1995 because of the Generation change we lowered our activity and in 2008 we moved to another town and went under the radar. Quiet fade.

When I look back, I regret the days, hours and years that could be used better and wiser. Had some good memory's too.

G.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Fear of death at Armageddon.

^^^ this is common for all JWs.

• Biahi
    Biahi

Hamster wheel, and it’s never enough. Life is bleak and boring without holidays, and fun occasions with family and friends. It got to where I decided that I’d rather be dead than not really living.

• Overrated
    Overrated

You get to a point where you think," Do I really want to live forever with these self-righteous azzholes ?"

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Its actually a pretty good delusional life if you agree with everything. I would suspect that the highest source of concern would be the regular reminders that you could do more for Jehovah. Sure, plenty of JWs are perfectly happy with their “service”, aka: performance, however, dissatisfaction is more likely due to these constant reminders, especially when they read the “good-for-nothing slaves; we've only done [y]our duty” comment from Jesus (Luke 17:10).

And than, things get worst when you start to disagree with key teachings. You start to notice that the following constant reminder now applies to you: Don’t be prideful, don’t trust in your own judgment, let it go, wait upon Jehovah and put your trust in him.

If you don’t believe to be prideful, then, that’s one more teaching you don’t accept. This creates a disconnect between you and the religious group. You may try to rationalize things (like my mom), but this isn’t the best life either. You’ll be forced to pretend that all is fine when these teachings are covered at the meetings or in field service. This will make you a “phony” with those you love, your friends and family. You will also become paranoid at what could happen if “they found out”.

The very fact of being paranoid and phony with people you should trust and love is no way to live. You cannot be happy this way. Even if you try to take “the best” out of that religion, you will not be happy. Some may continue to live that way for a long time, and many more will leave the group.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Like living in any highly controlled society, it can be ok if you are happy to obey the rules and have your thinking done for you. Some people are like that. They feel safe in controlled environment and become afraid to trust their own judgement.

If you, and all your family and friends are in it then you have your own social world , quite a big one and you don't miss the birthdaysand Christmases because all that is alien to you.

The trouble comes if you are a bit of a maverick and buck the rules or, worse still, you start to think and question things.. Then you see The Society in a different light.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit