Is Watchtower meant to be an actual shelter from reality

by ToyFish 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

IMHO, yep. I observe that the JW believers live in their own reality. One that is supposed to be all good and happy, regardless of REALITY. The biggest problem with them is they ignore important REAL things and totally screw up lives in the process.

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

Further to the excellent comments above I would add that the majority of witnesses put off their plans in this world for their hope of living in the new one.

Time and again you'll hear something like 'in the new world I will learn the guitar' - why not now? `I will learn how to paint' - what's stopping you from doing it now? 'In the new world I will go travelling and seeing different places' - why are you putting it off, go for it now!

I remember one circuit overseer in his talk saying that the world tells you to buy now, pay later; whereas Jehovah asks his people to pay now (time, energy, commitment) and he will reward them later. It was always to be done in the future.

It was only after leaving that I realised there was nothing stopping me from following my passions now, and it was so annoying to think that I had spent the previous 5 decades oblivious to that fact and wasted my time.

• asp59
    asp59

Think the GB are follow of men themselves. Jesus said follow his footsteps careful. He never said to live in a convent. Why trust in God if you have food and shelter guaranteed. I think they listen to wife or other people in congregación.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

LOST IN THE FOG:

I also thought it was absurd when JWs would say they were waiting to do whatever they desired in the ‘new system’ instead of now.

With regard to traveling: besides those wanting to see natural beauty like the Grand Canyon, there are those interested in seeing other cultures and historical sites, etc. But, if the worldwide ‘Armageddon’ they are waiting for comes, these cultures and historical sites might very well be destroyed. What then would there be to see?

This is just part of the stupidity of believing you should disregard your present life and let it run through your hands like sand in an hourglass - because you are conned into believing you are going to get another one!

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

LongHairGal,

Precisely. And then they had the cheek to laugh at other religious people who believe that on death they go straight to heaven to be with their loved ones.

Whereas they are content to lying in a grave because one future day they will be downloaded from the limitless memory banks of Jehovah and plonked down in a New World, still under the regime of WT appointed men - who'll likely tell them that they can't afford to play the guitar because there's tidy-up work to do first.

Tell them all to "Do it now" before you die, because your NW future is likely to be more of the same strict rules and deprivation albeit in a nice garden setting.

And as you say there won't be any foreign countries anymore, magnificent architecture will have been vandalised by the angelic hordes at Armageddon, and the different national tongues will eventually be gone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit