Comments You Will Not Hear at the 8-10-03 WT Study

by blondie 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

WOW blondie you outdid yourself this week; research and point by point skewering of the hypocrisy of the WT.

I LOVE your reviews; they help me suffer through the study when I have to attend.

THANKS again.

• Noumenon
    Noumenon

Blondie, you are the queen of hyper criticalness. Your ad-hominem approach to reviewing Watchtower Articles is understandable, but sometimes unfair. While there is a lot of self-righteous 'truth by authority' garbage in most of the Watchtower articles, there is also a lot of stuff that I find to be rather good bible instruction!

• onacruse
    onacruse

blondie, thank you for hosting this series. I read every one, but rarely post back...your incisive dissection of their illogic and hypocrisy speaks for itself.

Craig

• jgnat
    jgnat

Noumenon, out of curiosity, how would you rate the Watchtower studies against other bible study aids?

http://www.gospelcom.net/ivpress/bible/ephesian/
    http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/6135/
    http://www.gospelcom.net/rbc/odb/odb.shtml

• blondie
    blondie
    there is also a lot of stuff that I find to be rather good bible instruction!

Nou, I agree with that statement. But aye, here is the rub. Jesus had harsh words for the Pharisees who knew what was right to do but did not do right.

Matthew

23:2-3

2 "The scribes and the Pharisees have seated themselves in the seat of Moses. 3 Therefore all the things they tell YOU, do and observe, but do not do according to their deeds, for they say but do not perform.

And James confirmed it.

James 4:17

Therefore, if one knows how to do what is right and yet does not do it, it is a sin for him.

Blondie

• blondie
    blondie
    Even nine and a half years out of the JWs it is very beneficial to me to read your posts

Thanks, swan, for letting me know that. I had the impression that those out for some time might not need or want to expose themselves to WTS rhetoric.

pistoff,

The hypocrisy of the WTS in print and in action is hard to forget. I grew up with a lying, abusive, manipulative father. I survived by learning how to turn his own words around on him. The WTS is no different.

Thanks, ona, for the encouragement. I wonder who my readers are.

jgnat, I use the Bible Gateway (which is part of gospelcom.net) which has several Bible translations online simultaneously and Crosswalk.com for Bible commentaries. The last is how to study the Bible inductively which I'll have to take some time to look at.

Of course, because of the Gestapo-type atmosphere, we could never have known that people like you were going through your own personal doubts and trauma about the borg . Glad we're out. (BTW, one of these days we have to meet!)
    You're becoming inactive may help others break through their denial about the borg and set themselves free also.

Acsot,

my husband used to say at crucial points of the WT study, "You will obey," in his best Nazi tone of voice. I would almost choke audibly. I did try to help people see what the Bible said and I never condoned bad actions by the elders. After my last experience helping 2 sisters in with a badly handled abuse case, I knew it was time to leave or be guilty myself. Some may be influenced by my leaving but I doubt it. I don’t plan on discussing my doubts with anyone other than my husband. It is counterproductive to fading. We will have to meet some day soon. PM me when you think it is possible.

Mizpah

, I agree that the gossippers in the congregation lacked activities and goals that were challenging and enjoyable. One of the worst I knew was a sister who had such wonderful artistic abilities but felt she could not pursue them. Instead, she made everyone else around her as miserable as she was.

Blondie
  • SillyPutty
    SillyPutty

Blondie, please do me a favor. please put my CO on your mailing list if you have one, and send him the Watchtower study Comments each and every week. I would do it but I could get in a lot of trouble in my home with all my relatives. Please send this whole thread to him. Everyone else is invited to send him anything. Thanks All.

his email address is [email protected]

• Panda
    Panda

Blondie, I relish your commentary. You have so many interesting ideas and I look forward to reading your posts. I Da'd in '97 and I still read your posts and others. Sometimes maybe just as a relief to know more and more dubs are beginning to think, you know use that muscle between their ears, unlike the writing department at WTS! Yeeks, would any dub believe that those HS inspired articles are the lazy mans cut and paste work? Probably not. And I would never have noticed until you mentioned using the cd. So I not only appreciate your comments but also your sources. Thanx

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Blondie! I can't help but think of the comment that Robert Deniro says to Billy Crystal in the movie Analyze this and Analyze that. "Your Good","Your Good,".In my health care service we have what is called,Good,Better and Best products.They are all good and will be helpful to the patient.

You however are the "Best""Your Good"and it gets "Better and Better"

Your time and efforts are not wasted,I always look for your comments on the current WT Study.I also share this with others who are simply amazed at the critical analysis,I give all credit to you.

Thank You ,Blueblades

• rocketman
    rocketman
    An older elder in the audience raised his hand and said, "But the gossip by men is more damaging, especially when the elders are the culprits."

Wow, the guy had some guts saying that! Way to go older elder.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit