Hey from Ohio

by sissyb 22 Replies latest jw friends

• sissyb
    sissyb

Hello all - I most likely won't post too often but want to introduce myself. I've read this board for a long time and feel like I know some of you! I was a third gen born-in (NE Ohio), and half-heartedly believed until I was in middle school. One day at the meeting, while they were discussing Russell, it occurred to me that they were believing in the interpretations of one man. From then on I knew it was all a lie, and I hated every second I was in the KH. Luckily, we only went out in service for one hour at the end of the month, but it was still torture. My sister and I liked the winter best because we could tip-toe up to people's doors and pretend to knock.

When I was 19 I told my parents I didn't believe. I got the old "as long you live under our roof..." spiel. I packed up a few belongings and left. I had lots of friends and would stay with a different one every couple months. Luckily, my folks still paid for college and still welcomed me into their home. We got along better, actually. One by one, my brother and two sisters also moved out, None of us believed. And my dad has since apologized and said if he could do it again, he wouldn't have made me leave. My parents are now inactive, but they still believe the basics of the JWs. We never discuss it, though I've heard my dad work in the occasional "this old system of things." *cringe*

Well that's the short version of my JW life. I've got lots of lively stories to tell about my teen years in the borg, which I'm sure I'll have the chance to share sooner or later. And hopefully I can give a sympathetic ear and some advice to those poor souls still stuck in.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Welcome sissyb! Will look forward to your stories.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

"......as long as you live under OUR roof......"

How's that working out for JW parents?

• TheListener
    TheListener
    Welcome SissyB! Glad you joined and posted. Can't wait to hear some of your teen stories from the borg.
  • under the radar
    under the radar
    Welcome back aboard! I'm very happy that things worked out so well for you. It's great that your dad acknowledges he was wrong to make you leave, and that you can have a (pretty much) normal relationship with him. Congratulations!
  • paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland
    Welcome from Cleveland Ohio
  • talesin
    talesin

It sounds like things have gone fairly well for you, and that is so great to hear!

I have a friend in Defiance (what a great place for an exJW to live!), about an hour from Cleveland, and there are others on the board from that area.

Welcome! It's great that you have a relationship with your family. xx tal

• Butyoucanneverleave
    Butyoucanneverleave
    Welcome sissyb. I used to live in strongsville. Husbands family was from there. Anyway, this is a great forum. Keep posting.
  • My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence
    Welcome from Ohio as well!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Hi there!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit