RESPONSIBILITY vs. "moral" Responsibility (What is the distinction and what is the difference?)

by Terry 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ruby456
    Ruby456
    alright thanks
  • Ruby456
    Ruby456

terry - i'm questioning this

(opheílō) "originally belonged to the legal sphere; it expressed initially one's legal and economic, and then later one'smoral, duties and responsibilities to the gods and to men, or to their sacrosanct regulations. . . . opheílō expresses human and ethical responsibility in the NT"

who said this.

other than that - I think you have a point - bank loan means the transaction is impersonal and usually non emotional while the moral owing carries a lot of weight of emotional baggage

thanks

• Terry
    Terry
    Ruby456a day ago

terry - i'm questioning this

(opheílō) "originally belonged to the legal sphere; it expressed initially one's legal and economic, and then later one'smoral, duties and responsibilities to the gods and to men, or to their sacrosanct regulations. . . . opheílō expresses human and ethical responsibility in the NT"

Try these, Ruby

STRONG'S EXHAUSTIVE CONCORDANCE

THAYER'S GREEK LEXICON

both are available online

• Terry
    Terry
    I would have liked a bit more participation in this topic, but--alas--no.
  • blondie
    blondie

LEGAL

MORAL

ETHICAL

I took a 101 class in this type of topic

To learn what the difference is between these three...short answer

• Terry
    Terry

LEGAL

MORAL

ETHICAL

I took a 101 class in this type of topic

To learn what the difference is between these three...short answer

When we examine anything in order to better understand it we must go from the GENERAL to the SPECIFIC.

Philosophy was man's first effort at trying to make a rational and logical procedure out of the inquiry into how we know what we know.

Humans survive by the use of their minds as homo sapiens (man + rational ) at the top of the food chain. Figuring out better ways of surviving led to this supreme position.

Survival among others in a social setting was a practical matter of cooperation with minimal conflict.
    Mankind, in order to survive, must figure out how to make choices determining the purpose and course of life.
    Developing a code of values is the GENERAL heading of "Morality".
    The specific details of those values guiding choices and actions is "Ethics."

Laws are binding rules in the hands of agents who administer force.
    The Laws of Hammurabi and Moses listed offenses and consequences which mostly defined "justice" as a restoration process on behalf of the aggrieved victim by fines or punishments.

The important question to ask and understand is this. Why do humans have Morals in the first place? The answer is simple: if every individual person did what seemed immediately beneficial to themselves alone, only the strong, the cruel, and the sneaky would prevail (as it is among animals.) By using intelligence to gain consensus about fair play, tribes, villages, nations were able to cooperate and manage resources for the common benefit.

• AnneB
    AnneB

Let me Google that for you....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsibility

• Terry
    Terry

Right now in America, we have an unravelling of commonality which is reflected in our Political process of selecting candidates for President.

Roughly half the population is at odds with the other half in regard to Moral Responsibility, as to how it will be practiced through Governmental oversight, enforcement, and social programs.

Both sides are handling this confrontation with deplorable unintelligence!

Name-calling, bullying, chaos are not virtues practiced by Moral Agents.
    The common denominator is reasoned discourse, facts, formal debate or Town Hall meetings with a view to arbitration.
    Nope.
    We have newspapers, magazines, talking heads, and crowds devolved into ignorant blunt instruments of harsh rhetoric, disinformation, and one-sided propaganda.

Both sides assume they alone are totally right and their opponents are not simply wrong-headed but have demonized them with the most vulgar personal descriptions imaginable.

To my way of thinking, this is a demonstration of anarchy and a soul sickness.

Being snotty, foul-mouthed, and loud in response to an opponent who is snotty, foul-mouthed and loud is reprehensible and counter-productive at best, and dangerously revolutionary nihilism at worst.

You cannot practice preaching of Ethics if you are a violator of the rights of others just because you assume you are on the side of angels.

This is just as true for the Liberal as the Conservative.

Let's cut out the bold-face hypocrisy, okay?

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Terry, concerning your bank loan/friend loan analogy both are moral responsibilities but you have the addition, with the bank loan, of a legal responsibility. The legal responsibility is how the state enforces and regulates what is at heart a moral responsibility.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Problem with organized religion is that it imposes a moral responsibility to uphold select doctrines which may not be respectful or engaging to reality or the truth.

Look what the WTS enforces onto its members for example, people who uphold certain doctrines are identified as being righteous, spiritually strong, those who oppose them as being unrighteous, evil, displeasing to god.

People who do are said to be faithful and respectful toward god and his will and purpose, in a effect appeasing him so that those who do participate in supporting these doctrines are said to be worthy of not being destroyed at the soon to come Armageddon.

There is an overwhelming presence of corruption going on here that gets over shadowed by a imposition of life or death, a questionable morality in itself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit