For those who are STILL believing Christians...

by BoogerMan 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen
    Do atheists ever have doubts about their unbelief?
    Atheists are individuals. So I guess some do, and some don't.

I'm quite sure my knowledge about life, the world, the universe, and everything is quite limited and probably flawed too. There is much I can and must still learn.

Yet I don't doubt my unbelief in gods. I am 100% certain that I don't (currently) believe in any supernatural entities or any gods. Please note that I don't say "I'm 100% certain no gods exist"! But I haven't seen any evidence to suggest they do exist, so I stick with the default: not believing.

If ever compelling, testable, objective evidence comes to light that supports the idea that one or more gods exist, I'm open to accept that evidence.

In case you wonder if me not doubting my lack of belief in any gods may be a sign of a closed mind, think about this: do you ever doubt your lack of belief in Zeus, Shiva, leprechauns or unicorns?

"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” (Christopher Hitchens)"

Still, given the OP claimed something about 'real truth', I'm still curious what everyone's method is to determine truth. I'm always open for suggestions on how to improve my method to determine what is or is not true ;-)

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

To those NON-Christians who can't read English properly, the post title actually says, "For those who are STILL believing Christians." A is for apple, B is for boy, C is for cat.

If your life is so boring & meaningless that you have to ridicule & then hijack a post for no other reason than it doesn't fit with your thinking, then post something yourself - something that truly interests you. Can't you just ignore posts about beliefs which upset your tender little sensibilities?

As members, you are expected to behave in a friendly & tolerant fashion - according to the site's headline banner. Maybe you can't read that either.

I can now see why "believing" members don't want to contribute to topics such as this, due to the playground bullies amongst you who want to shout them down with your snide comments.

• JoenB75
    JoenB75
    Kingdom now, not in the future. The Kingdom is existence and can be entered now by those chosen ones whom He awakens from their slumber 🥰
  • cofty
    cofty
    Do atheists ever have doubts about their unbelief? Even for a second? Just wondering! - Iriddle

I can honestly say no. Not even a few years ago when it looked likely that I was dying of metastatic cancer (I'm sorted now) it didn't occur to me for an instant to pray or think about an afterlife.

There are atheists in foxholes.

Boogy - I agree believers should be able to discuss matters of faith without ridicule. On the other hand respectful questions and challenges should always be welcome.

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

Cofty, glad you are better now!

• cofty
    cofty

Thanks. If I was still a believer I would have thanked god for a miracle and not wondered why he let me get ill in the first place or why he didn't heal others. He can't lose really.

On the other hand I genuinely understand why believers find faith - and faith communities - to be a powerful ally.

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

Well, we all need support! :) We aren't meant to do life alone..so I have heard.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Kind of loaded thread title, "STILL believing Christians" as if there were something wrong with that.

I still believe. I have read lots of atheist views and non are convincing to me . Each to their own at the end of the day.

The o/p asks about the ressurection. I no longer expect a New World and ressurection as the JWs do, but whatever God has in store for us, I guess I will find out soon enough !

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

It is nice to finally understand the resurrections after leaving the watchtower. First some biblical definitions and concepts:

1. Just because a soul goes to heaven, that doesn't mean they are resurrected. Rev. 6:9 shows a picture of dead souls in heaven waiting for their resurrection.

2. 1 Thess. 5: 23 says that the whole person is tri-partite - spirit, soul and body.

3. When one of these is separated from others, you are dead. When are all three present at the same time, you are alive.

4. A resurrection occurs when your body is reintegrated with your soul & spirit. This is true whether or not you go to heaven or are resurrected to further life on earth...like lazerus was. Jesus went to heaven in his body; albeit a glorified body (one with a major systems upgrade). And, "we shall be like him".

5. There is a First resurrection (this is the one we all want). This one has three phases.

6. There is a Second resurrection (this is only for the purpose of standing trial). This is the one we don't want.

7. The chart below illustrates.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

At the Great White Throne, the "atheist" question as to: "why has God permitted evil" will finally be fully demonstrated. The answer is of course in order to judge it.

God can do one of two things with sin:

1. Judge it

2. Prevent it. (make us robots)

Since God's purpose and design of man includes Free Will, he chose not the prevent it, but to judge it.

For those who experience the First Resurrection, their punishment was meted out vicariously at the Cross. For those who experience the Second Resurrection, their own personal evil will be judged publicly, at a trial.

All people are found guilty at both judgments. Those who experience the Second Resurrection are given what they desire, eternal separation from God as punishment.

The one scripture that used to really bother me as a witness that didn't fit with their theology was Rev. 20:5 - "But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit