Why are there still so many of humanity that are immersed onto the lies, ignorance and delusions of religion ?

by Finkelstein 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

Some good points,

Between 70,000 and 30,000 years ago, Homo sapiens underwent the single greatest change in our history--the Cognitive Revolution. During that period we learned to think--and more importantly--express ourselves differently, with immensely more variety and fluidity of information transmission.

Yes this is something we take for granted the ability to think. They say brains sized maxed out around 2,000,000 years ago no doubt with the advent of stone tools which by the way, must have required thinking and primitive forms vocal instruction communication, anyway the ability to think of Gods was an advancement that led eventually to the bronze age and huge community building projects, wars, and advancement in governments and religion and what not,, which today Science seems to replacing which more clearer facts about our world and how things work. Which to me is very interesting to see take place in the 21st century.

Personally, what I would like to see happen is for a different fiction to overtake and replace religion--that of worldwide community and balance with the environment. But I don't think that will ever happen. I think religion is with us until the end. Ironically, the same thing that played such a large part in our success may also be what eventually dooms us as a species, though perhaps that's not fair, since what's at play in religious strife is in-group out-group thinking, and if we didn't have religion we would find another reason to hate the "other."

Well the atom being orbited by elections and the pictures they used to describe them are all fictional and simply vision tools to explain something we don't have camera equipment(electron microscope), that will ever be able to view things at a quantum level, just physics trying to explain things with visual illustrations with no visual proof.
    Could that be considered different fiction? or what about we are in a computer simulation I think that is a much more harmless fiction?

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

I'm thinking that brain size climaxed because they gradually became more efficent over time due to natural selection because the mating chances increase with the smarter males getting most of the action while the dumber ones lost many a chance to mate due to the smarter guy getting more than his fair share of spoil. Favoring the more useful brain for the same skull size.

Symbolic language with different word meanings and the ability to conceptualize things in that form I think demonstrates thinking and so perhaps one could estimate that thinking preceeds this verbal communication by a 100,000 years at least.

Superstitious beliefs in Gods perhaps preceeds that because even small pee brained pigeons have it.

http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/Skinner/Pigeon/

• A Ha
    A Ha
    Well the atom being orbited by elections and the pictures they used to describe them are all fictional and simply vision tools to explain something we don't have camera equipment(electron microscope), that will ever be able to view things at a quantum level, just physics trying to explain things with visual illustrations with no visual proof.
    Could that be considered different fiction? or what about we are in a computer simulation I think that is a much more harmless fiction?

Well I'm not a sociologist, but it seems the things you're describing are starting on the road to advanced thought, but they wouldn't qualify as the fictions I was talking about. Other animals are capable of this type of representational thought, but H. sapiens seems to be the only animal capable of, for example, carving a figuring with the body of a man and the head of a lion (e.g., the Stadel lion-man carved about 40,000 years ago), and telling--and convincing--others that this lion-man is our tribal guardian who will help us on our hunts.

The computer simulation would probably be a fiction in this context. Another, used in the book, is that of an L.L.C.(limited liability corporation). It doesn't exist as a physical thing, but if we pay a lawyer to write some magical words on a page, everyone will act as if this thing really exists. We refer to it as a thing, sue it if it harms us, etc... "Human rights" is another fiction that benefits us to treat as if they're real.

Neanderthals and Homo erectus were capable of abstract thought in the sense that they could make tools, seeing the arrowhead in the piece of flint. But H. erectus lived for two million years after inventing tools, and didn't progress beyond that. Neanderthals had language that probably included some more advanced concepts--we know they buried their dead, cared for the sick, made tools, and decorated themselves, but despite having larger brains than H. sapiens they don't seem to have developed the ability to create fictions, which if true, held them back from growing beyond small groups of a few dozen.

• A Ha
    A Ha
    I'm thinking that brain size climaxed because they gradually became more efficent over time due to natural selection because the mating chances increase with the smarter males getting most of the action while the dumber ones lost many a chance to mate due to the smarter guy getting more than his fair share of spoil. Favoring the more useful brain for the same skull size.

I think the leading theory is that our brains grew because of our social interactions. In intensely social animals like primates, it's important to keep track of who's sleeping with who, who can be trusted and who is a cheater, who doesn't get along with who, etc. A larger brain is needed to keep track of all those interactions and relationships. Group stability is more important than an individual who's strong or smart.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Ironic, really...

...how so many of us (humans, I mean) have evolved to, ultimately, reject evolution. :smirk:

• Viviane
    Viviane
    But before Viv tells me, I've completely misrepresented the post, because I'm a total liar and I don't know the definition of twenty different words, including the word "the", can I just say, at this point, from him, it's taken as read. So he needn't bother.

I would ask WTF you're babbling on about regarding me, but it looks like you summed up the appropriate response yourself, saving me the time.

Thanks!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Why are there still so many of humanity that are immersed onto the lies, ignorance and delusions of religion ?

It`s Comfortable because it`s Their Normal..

Image result for It's comfortable

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I think religion's popular because none of us wants to die and lots of people don't want death to be the end, it's as simple as that.

all the indications are that religion is on a down turn around the world - in Western countries - certainly, but globally? No chance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit