COVID-19 (coronavirus) What to do - Recommendations from an expert

by AndersonsInfo 19 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyYoung
    JimmyYoung

Don't forget the more inexpensive glove Vinyl Gloves work also. I picked up 400 count for 15 dollars at Walgreens.

One type of vinyl and seven types of latex gloves without visual defects were tested with respect to their barrier function against high concentrations of three viruses of varying size: herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1, 180 nm), human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1, 100 nm), and echovirus type 9 (Echo 9, 25 nm). Viral suspensions of HSV-1 (10(8) TCD50/ml), HIV-1 (10(5) TCD50/ml), and echovirus type 9 (10(7.5)TCD 50/ml) were placed in an inverted glove finger immersed in media and maintained for 3 h at room temperature with sampling performed from outside the glove at 10 min, 30 min, 1 h, 2 h, and 3 h. No cytopathic effect (CPE) was identified after inoculation onto Vero cells or RhMK cells for HSV-1 and Echo 9, respectively, and reverse transcriptase activity was not detected in Hut 78 cells after inoculation of HIV-1 during any of the time intervals. Stretching of a glove finger for 18 h with repetition of the procedure with Echo 9 revealed no CPE. We conclude that under these experimental conditions, intact gloves act as effective barriers to the transmission of viral particles, including HIV in the health care setting.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have been stocking up on things, not so much to avoid the virus but to avoid the panic and shortages that come along with it. Reasonable quantities of food items--bought piecemeal (I am aiming for 6-8 weeks supply, given that this is how long the disruption is most likely to last in some form). Also get cleaning and paper supplies. I think it is stupid to buy 10,000 cases of paper towels for this, but go a bit heavier than usual.

What kind of food? I suggest a variety of non-perishable items. Powdered milk, rice and grains, legumes (peas and lentils are also legumes), canned fruits and vegetables, dried instant potatoes, and so on are good to have on hand. I also have a variety of condiments (mustard, spices, and different types of pepper sauces) for variety, since it is boring to just eat plain rice and legumes all the time. I even have on hand crackers, cookies, tortilla bread, peanut butter, jams, and cookies since it is nice to have treats on hand for this. This is not an austerity drill--I will save that for once World War III comes and genuine shortages come from that, not for this.

Supplements? Since I will be exposed to more glutamate than usual from this, I intend to keep taking magnesium and boron. This is to throttle the calcium that otherwise would be pumped into my brain and nervous system by the glutamate (and because most of us are deficient in these minerals). I got oregano oil and echinacea, which worked nicely for a dental abscess in lieu of antibiotics. I also have elderberry syrup, which is to help my immune system. Left to get is the ginger extract. This will hopefully throttle the virus if I get it, giving my immune system a chance to knock it out before it creates major problems.

I got these all from a high rated supermarket. So far, there are no genuine shortages, although that could abruptly change. I have been treating Walmart as an infection hotbed for all sorts of infections (including spiritual infection) since they disappointed me on Christmas items in 2009. (And they are among the worst for quality, sourcing most items from China where the supply disruption is worst.) In addition, this dump will be the first place to have acute shortages, as well as fights that could be worse than the virus.

In the USA, Publix and Raleys are the top rated supermarkets. If you are lucky to live in the Northeast, you might have access to Wegmans (to me, that is like going to Italy without spending all the money or risking the infections running through that country). Hannaford's is another good supermarket. They are more likely to continue having basic staple food items and fewer, less serious fights than Walmart.

• Wakanda
    Wakanda

"After each teeth brushing, I rinse and wipe the shank of the brush to remove most particulates, then spray the shank and bristles generously, after which I top the brush head with the plastic provided (Sonicare) cap."

In the book Kiss Your Dentist Goodbye the good dentist advises to never store your toothbrush in a container, as the most important thing is to thoroughly dry it before using it again. A cap could re-infect and lengthens drying. She advises to have two or three toothbrushes and rotate them. One for morning, one for evening, and a third if you brush midday for this reason. I've heard her say it would be good to throw some Listerine on your toothbrush after you brush... but most important is thorough drying.

She also advises against having them in the bathroom.

She doesn't talk at all about getting new ones every 3 months...

FWIW

• JimmyYoung
    JimmyYoung

I just got back from Lowes, they have the N95 compliant masks but limit one per customer. A box of 10 was 22 bucks and you have to go to the service dept to get them.

• flipper
    flipper

Thanks for sharing Barbara & Joe. Much appreciated ! Wife and I have been stocking up on food and gloves. Taking vitamins to build up our immune system, and avoiding needless huge crowds. The point about Zinc lozenges is good as well, have to get more of those. We use those during cold season as well. It's great getting advice from a medical expert, so thanks again. Peace out, Flipper

• Wakanda
    Wakanda

Wonderful news JY. They have to stop those hoarders/people taking advantage. Some are sending masks back to China CCP according to SerpentZA.

• LV101
    LV101

Simon - that's funny! I'm about that bad and wash my hands so much I can't apply enough lotion - wake up in the night hands itching from dryness. Rough in the Mojave desert re/dryness, regardless. It's also concerning going to the movie theaters - or so I've been told. Carry the disposable wipes and use on the arm rests, drink holders, etc., etc. Now that's where you should wear your hazmat suit.

Fatfreek - I read to replace your toothbrush monthly and I order in bulk. If you get a cold or sick to dispose of as soon as you can. Hand sanitizers don't kill all the germs so I go through liquid soap - order the huge containers with pump. I don't like anyone driving my cars - (my husband fuels up my car and he thinks I'm a bit much) the germs on steering wheel freak me out. Hydrogen peroxide is a good disinfectant, also.

• caves
    caves

I'm obviously no expert but burning sage (smudging) has been scientifically proven to kill 94% of bacteria and viruses on contact.

After a room was smudged or rather fumed with sage smoke it remained pathogen free for a month.

I started selling sage last year. I have an entire flyer about how it kills 94% of airborne bacteria and viruses with links to scientific studies. There is actually a few entire schools dedicated to these studies on sage. I had no idea until I had already harvested a ton.

I originally just wanted to sell them as smudge sticks. Something my father and I would do (not a jw) and (native american) he would smudge me. lol

Then I started to look up sage and stumbled on the findings. I introduced it into my sales pitch to entice , say, for a hypothetical scenario that 'if there was a couple and one was looking at buying sage and the other was saying "why do you want to buy that ole stupid crap, to get rid of evil sprites or something?" , then the other could show the flyer with links to look up on the spot from science about what burning sage can do and is proven to do' then increase my chances of sales from that angle.

Anyway, I'm not trying to sell my sage here but if your at all interested you can just type in "the science of sage" in your search engine and you can find out more about it.

Personally I love the smell. I don't believe that it gets rid of evil spirits. I do find it fascinating that sage was used to wart off "evil spirits" yet really it kills 94% of airborne bacteria and viruses on contact. Maybe the natives and indigenous cultures in times past just felt better after using it or and it cleaned the whatever they where living in staffing off illness and it was associated with "cleansing" bad energy, evil, negative, ect.

I've been giving them out and just yesterday had some calls on it from some shops wanting to carry some. I have it in a couple stores at the moment.

I just thought I'd throw that info out there since its inexpensive and a little goes a long way. Look it up. Every little bit of help counts.

If your allergic to sage, use a mask while burning and act as if it a fogger and leave your house for couple hours. That is what I've heard some people doing that are allergic.

• westiebilly11
    westiebilly11

Other hazardous surfaces include cash machines, road pedestrian crossings, car park machines etc etc. the list is almost endless. Best course of action is to wash hands often. We've been told face masks are not very effective. Personally, we're avoiding going out to public places such as restaurants etc. I wonder if the org will abandon meetings and field service etc for the foreseeable (!) future....many of the cong elderly members are at risk. As for hand gels etc, prices have reached silly levels on ebay etc. Perhaps time for govt to issue free gels etc,

• Prefect
    Prefect

Going Shopping

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit