How to deal with anxiety?

by BlackWolf 27 Replies latest jw friends

• BlackWolf
    BlackWolf
    Lately my mental health has been rapidly declining. I have anorexia and deppression, and my anxiety has become overwhelming. I have been to many doctors/therapists in the past, but because I have not been magically cured my parents dont want to get me any more help. They think I can just pray and it will get better. What should I do? I feel like my life is somehow spiraling out of control.
  • ULFBERHT
    ULFBERHT

BlackWolf,

Sorry to hear that you're having such a hard time. I assume that you must live at home? Maybe you could talk to a school counselor? Are you in school? Depression and anorexia are very serious issues. Is there any way to get some help without your parents' involvement?

I hope you find some peace soon.

Take care,

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

Are you currently a JW with JW parents? That would explain a lot. The WT breeds and implants phobias that produce anxiety. Counseling and medication are often necessary. Just as important is having someone to talk to who understands what you are going through. You have taken a step in the right direction here because there are plenty of folks here who get it. However, it sounds like you need professional help and in may be severe enough that it would be more likely to be stabilized in an "inpatient" setting. If you feel "overwhelmed" and like you want to hurt yourself, please just call 911 or the suicide help line at 800-273-8255. Otherwise, talk to a counselor or doctor and get the help and support you need. There is plenty of help out there - don't go it alone, and don't think that prayer is going to fix this. You need help.

• BlackWolf
    BlackWolf
    Thank you for the advice. I can't talk to school counselors tho because I am homeschooled.
  • Aprostate Exam
    Aprostate Exam

From my psychological stand point. I can tell you that anyone seeking psychological and psychiatrical help needs to really want change. For this, only that person can understand what past experiences hinder or hurt them. If this is a neurological/chemical misbalance , then seek the proper medication or natural supplementation to assist in the issues, from a professional. Only you will know what your body needs to feel better. A psychologist can help you reach an understanding of what direction you need. This is accomplished through as many sessions as you personally need. Nothing can be reached with only a few visits. This is a process due to your personal needs. Don't give up visiting the true psychological professionals. If you don't have the monetary backing for this, then seek services that are available for free through governmental assistance. Don't give up and you are as worthy of living. P.S. please look up breathing exercises for anxiety.

• naazira
    naazira
    So sorry to hear that you you are having a hard time. Did you feel as though therapy was beneficial, even if it was to be heard? And I feel as though you should at least stay under a doctors supervision. I wonder if your parents would consider letting you at least keep a doctor just to monitor things.
  • Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

Call the suicide help line. They will direct you to the resources that are available in your area. These articles may help you understand something about what you are feeling and why. You will, however, almost certainly need help to cope.

http://www.culthelp.info/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=43&Itemid=6
    http://jwsurvey.org/apostates/inducing-phobias-how-the-watchtower-uses-irrational-fears-to-solidify-membership

http://www.freeminds.org/psych/phobias.htm

http://aawa.co/blog/watchtower-mental-illness/

• Divergent
    Divergent

Black Wolf, do you have any non-JW relatives nearby or friends who might be able to help?

You are now almost an adult, just a short while away from being able to leave home & become independent & free. Don't give up!

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

BlackWolf-My son has suffered through years of mental problems, anxiety and worry being the top issues for him. I suffered from panic and anxiety, depression and OCD for 30 years. For me the answer to most of my health issues was leaving the JW's. My panic and anxiety have been reduced to maybe occurred one per year vs daily for years. My son was taken to a child psychiatrist who worked at giving him the tools to help him slow down he fear and calm down. She even encouraged the worst case scenario to happen. Like leaving his school books at home instead of bringing them to school. Nothing bad happened, so he was able to discount a fear and build trust in what she was telling him was true. Beg your parents to take you for help. Tell them you are afraid of hurting yourself if you don't get treatment. What you area dealing with isn't an easy matter, rather a dangerous one in truth.

• clarity
    clarity

Blackwolf .... feel so sorry for you ...what you are going through feels terrible ...I know.

A few little tips ...slow your breathing down, do not hyperventilate. Breathe out completely and then breathe into your belly & then to your upper chest. Calm down your racing compulsive thoughts. Realize that it is normal to have many thoughts ...... but it is up to you to decide which thoughts are helpful & which ones are not. You do not have pay attention or act on any of them.........you can just let the harmful thoughts go on by.....like a leaf floating down a stream...let it float away.

Get some help, a therapist, talk to a good friend or check-out the books in the Library about how to be happy. You deserve to live free from those awful feelings, hang in there you will make it!

clarity

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit