Evolution is a Fact #5 - Vitamin C

by cofty 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2
    No, thank YOU Cofty for starting me on the research!

I am using your threads for my Hispanic ExJW's page on Facebook.

If English speakers are woefully unaware of the reasons why evolution is considered a fact, then Spanish-only speakers are incredibly more so!

I find that one of the biggest issues in the Hispanic exJW world is that most go through a second cult before they become truly free.

A lot of people have issues like homosexuality where you just can't tell them, "well, the JW's are wrong Biblically" because to say that the Bible does not condemn homosexuality is such a huge stretch.

Those people would benefit quite a bit from dumping the Bible and leading an evidence-based life.
  • cofty
    cofty
    I am using your threads for my Hispanic ExJW's page on Facebook.

That's great to hear. I hope it is helpful. Number 37 will be online later tonight if I get time to finish it.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I love this post, I just want to bump it again. I wonder what benefited US as regards loosing the gene to synthesize v it C.A random mutation that our ancestor gradually lost, was it just because it ate enough fruit That it just wasn't an issue...or enough insects that contained v it c ? Or was there another benefit to those that didn't have the gene?

Perhaps they were more driven to collect and store fruit in times of plenty for months when there wasn't much around and during a famine those with the gene died out.

I know during my pregnancies I was a fiend for getting v it C, oranges in particular.I wonder if pregnant mothers without the gene were more aggressive, or rarther assertive, in collecting their share?

Anyway it's fascinating to speculate!

Thank you Cofty for all your hard work!

• cofty
    cofty

Thank you. It seems to be a case of "use it or lose it". Our ancestors diet came to include sufficient fruit so that there was no selection pressure to maintain genes for vitamin C.

The specific mutation can be identified and usefully confirms our relationship to other primates. A significant part of our genome consists of pseudo genes. Relics of our past. See the thread in this series on olfactory genes for another example. Typing on my phone so can't do a link.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Evolution is a new and fascinating subject to me. I remember visiting the natural history museum in New York and not being able to explain away the skulls that clearly didnt belong to any modern human or gorilla or monkey.

Interesting article cofty. Thanks.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    See the thread in this series on olfactory genes for another example.

I actually was looking at that one today!

So interesting that some people can get their ear wiggle on if they practice! Sadly,I'm not one, believe me I tried as a kid - of course never knowing the significance.

• cofty
    cofty

Here is the index so far...

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Agreeing with pale.emperor, once the fog of religion clears evolution becomes very obvious. I mean just look at isolated places in the world like islands places like Australia or even just an isolated Place like the Olympic national forest in the northwest of washington state. Some of these places over 90% of their plant life can only be found there. Even animals like several in Australia and Madagascar can be found nowhere else.

Proof of evolution is all around us if we just open our eyes.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Pale.Emperor I remember visiting the natural history museum in New York and not being able to explain away the skulls that clearly didnt belong to any modern human or gorilla or monkey

Isn't it incredible that when you look at them, even as a lay person with zero knowledge of anatomy and physiology, it's plain to see they are neither ape nor human skulls....but something else altogether, yet at the same time very obviously closely related.

Breathtaking to see them in the flesh, so to speak*.

Edit*I believe they are often copies the real thing being too precious.

• Freedom rocks
    Freedom rocks

Wouldn't a jw just rationalise this somehow as the gene was broken when eve and Adam sinned and it's part of our inherited imperfection?

Cofty - i'm really enjoying reading through your series of posts on evolution, they help throw creationism out of the window altogether and you've made them easy to understand so thank you

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit