Eliminate the Oil Industry?

by Anony Mous 18 Replies latest social current

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

A lot of countries are on the side of eliminating the oil industry altogether as well as zero-emission alternatives like nuclear power.

In the US, Biden has promised to eliminate all Federal Lands oil production when he takes power in 2021 (30% of the United States) as well as Native American tribal lands which account for 8 percent of all oil, 9 percent of all natural gas, and 6 percent of all natural gas liquids from 96,000 wells (10% of the total wells in the US).

In Europe, oil and gas production has been largely eliminated except for the Nordic countries and the UK (which the EU recently lost access to), Germany is funding a major oil pipeline as is China from Russia and Russian-controlled portions of Ukraine, even after Trump cut off all builders from Russian oil pipelines, the Russian government is now trying to build the pipeline themselves with potential disastrous results.

Venezuela's economy collapsed largely due to the government taking over and eliminating the oil industry companies.

In the mean time, control for most non-US energy sources is now wholly dependent on Russian and Middle Eastern governments.

California and Germany eliminated oil-based energy sources and now mandate 30% of their power from 'green' wind and solar alternatives. Germany energy costs now hover around 25c/kWh and California is not far behind with 16c/kWh both experiencing rolling blackouts in major cities and importing 60% of mostly coal and gas energy from their neighbors.

The world currently has 300 years worth of oil at the current rates of usage which have stagnated due to improved efficiencies.

CO2 emissions in the US have dropped in the last 3 years for the first time in decades despite (or because) reduced oil and gas regulations.

Do you think given the above facts, eliminating the oil industry is a good thing? I understand migrating to a more dense fuel source (eg. nuclear) would be a great thing, but there is a lot of resistance to that for various political reasons. What are you doing to reduce your CO2 footprint? Do you think it's safe to have your country or even the entire world's energy dependence until we make such conversion to full solar/wind/nuclear in the hands of two of the most ruthless dictators, Putin and Mohammed bin Salman or is this a worthy sacrifice?

• hoser
    hoser

I hope Biden ends fracking and oil goes to $100.00 bbl. Good news for canada

• Simon
    Simon

If you look at the stats of where our energy actually comes from, the idea that oil and gas can be replaced is ludicrous and idiotic.

So called "renewables" are not as clean as people make out, are devastating to wildlife,, generate a fraction of the power required, are unreliable and themselves rely on oil and gas for manufacturing and operation. There are credible claims that they are net consumers of energy over their lifespan and then create waste that can't be recycled.

Anyone suggesting this is a fool and hopes that you are an even bigger fool who'll follow them.

Eliminating oil and gas will require removal of 3-6 billion people from the planet. Makes Hitler look like Mother Teresa doesn't it ...

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

So far the US has enough fossil to ignore the mid east. Dont forget all the plastic, chemicals and stuff that comes from petroleum

Importing electric to keep green just moves the problem to someone else.

• hoser
    hoser

You can’t import electricity from overseas. It has to come from Canada or Mexico which both rely on hydrocarbons to generate it.

• Betheliesalot
    Betheliesalot

Not many will want to ride in a solar powered airliner, especially at night.

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

Not going to happen in the next several decades at least. There is nothing that can fly a plane, or do what fossil fuel does. Even a large amount of the electricity that powers electric cars is currently made by fossil fuel. All states that have renewable has back up fossil plants that are on idle and kick up when its cloudy or the wind is not blowing. Currently to be on renewable s is a myth.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

This video explains it well:

https://youtu.be/RqppRC37OgI

• Simon
    Simon

A $13m solar thermal plant near us that opened to much hoopla was recently closed and scrapped. It didn't even operate for 5 years.

So much of "renewables" is just wasted money. Funds sloshing around with government subsidies, often with "investors" who happen to be the people pushing for the investments ... go figure.

A lot of it is outright fraud and what people hear when they are told "renewables" are usually mass felling of forests to burn. Yes, the wind and solar are the happy smiling faces they sell people with, it's not what you get.

If it wasn't for the CO2 increasing forestation and greening of the earth, we would be out of wood in no time.

Watch Micheal Moores documentary "Planet of the Humans" which goes into the fraud behind "renewables" in some detail. Guess what? Big tech has been censoring it so you can't watch it on YouTube last time I checked.

Here's a condensed version still available:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ0utEg7vkg

• Sigfrid Mallozzi
    Sigfrid Mallozzi

Well, on the positive side Harley Davidson is currently making an electric motorcycle that will cost $30,000. This will save the planet.

I've worked at four nuclear plants in the U.S.A. Yes, there is nuclear waste but for the amount of energy produced it is low, and for much of the last it is stored on site. I personally feel the current procedures are more than safe. I remember the Three Mile Island situation when I was a young man. Story I've heard several times while personally questioning older workers is that workers in the control room had a news paper that was covering a warning light. Jimmy Carter personally visited the control room and asked what the problem was and helped them find what happened. (I've also heard of an operations controller say you are getting false reading fill the pool with water). NRC (Nuclear Regulatory Commission) does not permit any reading material, personal possessions, etc in the control room that could impede safe operation. This is what I was told.

As I have explained to my daughter, the smoke from the cooling towers at a nuclear power plant is only steam cooling down the water from 600 degrees and very high pressure. It is not nuclear waste. The nuclear rods heat the water to run a steam turbine. That's it's. The spent fuel is stored on site in steel and concrete cylinders after it has cooled in the pool inside containment.

As far as getting rid of coal here in the U.S. it makes no sense when China is building a lot of coal fired plants.

Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) has a great use of their terrain just outside of Chattanooga, Tn. The power from Sequoyah Nuclear Plant when demand is low usually at night is used to pump millions of gallons of water in to a man-made lake at the top of Racoon Mountain. Then when demand is higher the water is released into hydroelectric turbines.

https://www.tva.com/energy/our-power-system/hydroelectric/raccoon-mountain

Granted, TVA had 6 million yards of fly ash flow into river close to Knoxville, Tennessee and they cleaned it up, and workers are sueing them for the adverse health effects.

Windmills kill birds. Coal has fly ash that needs to be stored. Nuclear has spent fuel and other contaminated materials like used personal protective equipment (clothing) that needs to be stored.

I'm not an expert in energy. Hydroelectric energy is wonderful and is cheap. Kentucky recently was in the process of building three hydroelectric dams on the Ohio river. I worked on two of them. Hydroelectric energy is very cheap.

The tools to manufacture energy are diverse and with the proper management will overall benefit humans. If you live in a third world country or in California you can regularly have rolling black outs. Blackouts present their own negative issues. Is your mass transit train powered by electricity? Wait until you have a rolling blackout because solar or wind cannot meet the demand. The loss of productivity is exponential.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit