Problem with the Like and Dislike Buttons

by Listener 19 Replies latest forum tech-support

• Listener
    Listener

There is a problem with the like and dislike buttons. Depending on what source you are using it is easy to vote more than once on the like or dislike.

I noticed this initially on my tablet touchscreen. If I tap quickly & continuously click on the like/dislike button, it will register as multiple votes, the same happens on my laptop when I do the same thing with my mouse but this method doesn't register as many votes.

It is only a matter of time for others to pick up on this and there may be some who are already aware of this. It basically means that the likes and dislikes will eventually be meaningless.

• cofty
    cofty
    If I tap quickly & continuously click on the like/dislike button, it will register as multiple votes

So don't do that.

• atomant
    atomant
    you can press as many likes as you like for me. ps thanks in advance. id like 20 likes for this post.
  • sir82
    sir82

So don't do that.

What about the trolls who are obsessed with signing onto this site again and again and again?

As noted, the buttons become meaningless if there is a bug which allows the unscrupulous to abuse them.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Gee just shout it out for all to hear why dont you?, I've been double clicking on like and dislike since accidentally discovered it. Didnt know about the tablet multiple clicks though...

I use it as a expression of degree, if i like something a lot 2 clicks, if i like something a bit 1 click, if i dislike something a lot 2 clicks, if i dislike something a bit 1 click. Works for me.

• Listener
    Listener
    Witness the fury, I wasn't sure if I should make it more widely known by starting this thread. Simon will delete it if it's not appropriate.
    I don't think it's fair if some are clicking more than once, whilst others are not aware of it.
  • SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    I have noticed this too, but if you revisit the thread or reload it you should notice that it has in fact only registered a single vote. At least this is what I have noticed. Incidentally I don't down vote anymore unless by accident while intending to hit "like". I simply decided I'd rather just be positive and like rather than negative and dislike.
  • Listener
    Listener
    Thanks secret slave class, I think you're right and it corrects itself when the page is reloaded.
  • Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Personally i never saw the point of the like / dislike and wished simon would either fix it so it is much harder to hit the wrong one or else got rid of it entirely.

I was being tongue in cheek with my "gee why dont you" line btw...

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown
    The like/dislike thing is just a simple form of a rudimentary peer review system intended to make people think twice before posting - I suspect. But, like all peer review systems they can be used a weapon to score personal points.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit