Smart Phones and Tablets Turning JW's Into Dummies

by scotoma 10 Replies latest jw friends

• scotoma
    scotoma

Look up the article in the Wall St Journal "How Smartphones Hijack Our Minds"

A flood of evidence has come in that people are outsourcing their thinking to their electronic devices. When you feel you will always be able to look up important information on your cell phone you simply don't remember it. You tend to lose your ability to store information in your head in a prioritized format.

The videos shown at conventions and kingdom halls have become a substitute for using one's imagination.

Relying on multimedia is not the way to prepare for the struggles JW's are supposed to be anticipating.

Imagine being thrown into solitary confinement and the video of the snipers keeps going through your head.

JW's have been duped into thinking that using technology is a gift of god. It really is a way of saving a lot of money on magazines that used to be deposited by the tons at nursing homes, laundromats and clinic waiting rooms.

If they really believe the world is going to go through a tumultuous time they ought to be less reliant on electronic devices that could be fried with an atomic blast in the upper atmosphere.

All of this immersion into technology may be ideal to keep members stupid and gullible.

• AverageJoe1
    AverageJoe1

Ah but they are fantastic for us PIMOs as a way to alleviate the boredom at the meetings!

• alanv
    alanv

The main change in recent years in JW land is for members to stop trying to defend their faith by themselves, but rather to point people to the jw website. And certainly if they see that you are not going to accept their doctrines, they will immediately end the conversation.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Best life ever 🤣

Watching a screen at the meeting.

G.

• caves
    caves

alanv-The main change in recent years in JW land is for members to stop trying to defend their faith by themselves, but rather to point people to the jw website.

I remember when this type of thing would be cause for someone to be 'spiritually weak'. Now its the norm.So easy to search your spiritual 'symptom' - 'question' into the search bar on the site and get an answer that "tickles the ears".

The absolute sheer irony. And quite the flip.

Smartphones have already changed the world we live in. jw,jew,movie star, politics, kids, teens, colleges, lawyers, ect ect ect......

It has been and continues to be an unstoppable force. The GB simply had to no choice but to modify to fit in with the new technology. Seems they've always liked to stay on the fringes of modern with out being "modern". This was/is to big a global shift.

I guess in paradise selfies will be real popular as everyone grows younger "New videos on jworg about this and that one growing younger". "Submit your 'growing younger' process to jworg and be featured in the '1000 year Reign Times". LOL" Brother Smith grows half his leg back in two months, Stay tuned to see next months article on Sister Davis as the last of her multiple personalities merge into one." LOL

I think smartphones for jws probably cause a paradoxical mixture of guilt and another cognitive dissonance item in the bag.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I cannot imagine how difficult it is to stay focused at a meeting when you have a smart tablet in your lap with easy access to emails, facebook, newspapers, and etc.

I am jealous.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Ah but they are fantastic for us PIMOs as a way to alleviate the boredom at the meetings!

Near the end of my JW life i used to visit JWFacts on the KH wifi.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

It's makes for lazy JWs and let's face it, studious JWs have already gone AWOL.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Let's be honest, folks.

Did the Org really need smartphones and tablets?

:smirk:

• caves
    caves

Vidiot- Did the Org really need smartphones and tablets?

In my opinion, if they were to survive, yes. If everyone is spending more and more time on the internet because its readily accessible, they can steer one to use devices to be able to go to jworg so the GB, Elders can say that their is no excuse not not spend time on the site while wasting ones time looking on the internet. Plenty of jws had social media profiles before jworg got going. Try as they may, they couldn't stop it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit