UN/NGO issue quiz: How would you answer this JW apologist's comments?

by reporter 22 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• reporter
  • Gopher
    Gopher

There's really no difference between promoting "the ideals" of the UN and promoting the UN itself. During the 1990's several Awake articles did in fact report favorably on several aspects of UN activity. They didn't just promote "the ideals", but they read like commercials for the UN.

And this from an organization that had said that the UN was Satan's deceptive means to bring about peace and security to mankind. Now the WT Society is promoting those very means, through glorifying the work of the UN agencies?

So what is the UN, a Satanic deception, or a non-Satanic humanitarian social services agency? There has been less and less said about the UN being a Satanic deception.

Seems to me the Watchtower compromised its principles.

OH... and that part about the UN bringing down the world's religions, as the writer said... Well as reported elsewhere on this forum, at this year's series of conventions, the Society was VERY VAGUE about which part of the world would destroy "Babylon the Great" according to WT interpretation. Usually they would have come right out and pointed to the United Nations as that instrument to bring about "the destruction of false religion'.

So this apologist/writer needs to be brought up to date on the cozy feelings the "faithful and discreet slave" has for the UN. (Unless that post was created prior to 2003, in which case he/she could be excused for not knowing.)

• gcc2k
    gcc2k

The real proof is in the application itself. The UN, citing privacy reasons, will not release a copy of the paperwork on file, and the Society certainly won't. I wonder if those documents might be available under some kind of freedom of information act? I know that recently many cases which were thought to be sealed were ruled to be available, much to the dismay of the people mentioned therein :)

The other thing not mentioned is that the Society renounced NGO status ONLY after having been exposed in the media as being an NGO member. Also, the favorable articles written in recent Awake! magazines show that the Society was doing its best to prove that it was supporting the UN and maintain NGO status.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Has anyone spotted the irony here:

"The original principles and goals expressed in the UN charter are: to maintain international peace and security; to suppress acts of aggression that threaten world peace; to encourage friendly relations among nations; to protect the fundamental freedoms of all peoples without discrimination based on race, sex, language, or religion; and to achieve international cooperation in solving economic, social, and cultural problems"

"God is going to use the UN to destroy false religion so why shouldn't we use it to promote religious freedom and human rights as long as we do not join it"

So here we have an organisation protecting religious freedom who will also destroy it?

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

Oh where to start!! This article is filled with inaccuracies, all of which have been exhaustively documented. I will just take an easy one:

Years later, unbeknown to the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses, the United Nations published "Criteria for Association", stipulating that affiliated NGO's are required to support the goals of the UN.

The criteria for becoming an NGO were spelled years before the Watchtower signed up in 1991.

If there was nothing secret or wrong with what the Watchtower did, why did it condemn other churches for joining?

It sounds like whoever wrote this "researched" the subject by reading the Org's explanation and then blindly accepting them as gospel.

• reporter
    reporter

What about this part? ..."Probably not"? This guy thinks he's slick I'll tell ya...

From a reader:

****There is [n't] any reason to get this library card to get access to the books because the UN has what is called “Depository Library”. In these places, you may found nearly all the books that you may found at the UN library. This libraries are around the world and what you need is a library card because these libraries are often found in public libraries or university libraries. But there is [n't] any political policy or other weird thing to apply for this library card.

Reply: Certainly, all the available information is not available at the depository libraries, contrary to some opposers claims. Looking closely, the WTS did not say that they registered as an NGO just to get a library card for the "main library." They also wanted to gain access to research material at the UN "library facilities" or the "extensive library of the UN." This library system includes more than just the Dag Hammarskjold library. It includes DPI photo, film and audio libraries, access to the NGO Resource Center which offers current UN documents, access to selected meetings, briefings, seminars, conferences, film screenings, and language courses. Are all these resources accesible with out an NGO pass? Probably not!

• mizpah
    mizpah

If Jehovah's Witnesses aren't allowed to attend a funeral or marriage in a church that the Watchtower Society says is "Babylon the Great" ... what gives it the right to join and to participate in a NGO of the United Nations, the "image of the Beast?" Perhaps, Jehovah's Witnesses should disfellowship the Watchtower Society for "conduct unbecoming a Chrisitan."

• berylblue
    berylblue

God is going to use the UN to destroy false religion so why shouldn't we use it to promote OUR religious freedom and OUR human rights as long as we do not join it"
    Obviously, the author omitted a few words in the above sentence. I have inserted them. I'm sure he'll be grateful.

• jwsons
    jwsons

What will happen to yourself if The Presiding Overseer Elder saw a Library Card with your name and U.N. sign on it fall off from your wallet? The small room at the back of KingDumb Hall ?

jwsons

• reporter
    reporter

Good point! Especially after a study in the Revelation Climax book (which, in my opinion, is the single biggest anti-think moronic JW book ever published...)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit